Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old May 5th, 2015, 09:40 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Nope, not trying to be funny.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2015, 09:48 PM
asif k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Channeling your inner Dale Carnegie again I see.
its NOT my ad and not my car and if you can read you will see what my original post said, he's looking for a 12j. You really should get lost.
Old May 5th, 2015, 10:06 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Ok,

Well, I've had second thoughts and decided to edit my post, so here is the version where I put it to you nicely. You can forward to your friend since you are trying to help him.

( Edits in parentheses)...Wow, are you (sure you are being realistic about selling this truck in this condition?) that truck (looks like it has had a hard life). You and your buddy (would be lucky, in my opinion, to get) 5k US. (Lots of foreign owners that don't really understand the US market often think) a 25+ year old rover (may be worth more in the USA than in their home country, and I'm afraid you and your friend may be suffering the same misconception)

(If it's helpful, I could point out some major problems that may give potential buyers second thoughts about purchasing this vehicle) Where to start? The shredded tire cover, underside covered in thick mud, every panel creased, sagging, misaligned doors, missing rear door glass, faded, UV'ed out/broken lights, smashed door pillar, chewed up (by the dog?) wheel arches, light bezels, and door seals, missing sills and smashed side steps, "custom" rear crossmember indicating chassis rot and subsequent (budget-minded "repair"), trashed interior, and and (the perhaps unwise inclusion of) a video where someone (the dog again, maybe?) grinds (the gears on the transmission)

(As for the well-intentioned) scheme of trading the engine away to make it US legal (,this is possibly over-complicated considering the low perceived value of the vehicle in my honest opinion) . Bottom line, this truck is not worth the cost of importation, never mind (the) suggested value of 5k US. And the container costs? Ask our resident importation expert what he thinks a container shipment of Land Rovers to the USA might cost these days. (Please s)top wasting (y)our time. (This truck may be a better candidate for importation with the 300tdi still in it) to Canada and sell it there (for 5K CAD, which it might be worth if it is really rust free and still has the 300tdi).

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif k. View Post
its NOT my ad and not my car and if you can read you will see what my original post said, he's looking for a 12j. You really should get lost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2015, 10:11 PM
javelinadave
-
-

This is like watching a bill cox thread.
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:01 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by asif k. View Post

I gotta "get lost" too!?! Damn.
Old May 6th, 2015, 07:48 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Why not selling it to a Canadian? There's a market for defender (small one but never the less). Importing a lhd in cdn is easy and the 300tdi is no barrier..
Old May 6th, 2015, 01:23 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

Except it's not worth 5K in Canada.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old May 6th, 2015, 01:50 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Regardless, there is no point in importing $5k trucks to the US or Canada. Shipping and import fees end up being too big of a portion of the cost.

For Canada, there is zero point in importing anything other than original LHD 300TDIs or TD5 and you won't make any money. The market is saturated.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 6th, 2015, 08:54 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Seriously doubt the saturation of the market but, a 45-50k defender is not that easy to sell.. On the other hand a "not too bad" 10k is another think and youngster are more prone to that kinda money..
Old May 7th, 2015, 04:35 PM
asif k.

After viewing the pictures, I'll admit its a piece of junk and not something I would ever consider importing myself. I honestly had not seen the pics before I posted the link. I'm not an enthusiast, just a businessman and while I like an old 4x4 like a landrover, gwagen or landcruiser, patrol and grew up owning some of them in Asia, I'm sorry if I'm a bit serious when I post here and don't get into the social aspect of the forums, so that's why I didn't care much for the comments meant to be funny.

I am importing two defenders at the moment, an 89 hardtop 19j and an 88 soft top 19j from Italy. The hardtop has a few dents but is a straight car with a good engine, no rust issues. The 88 soft top is a bit uglier right now but I will make it presentable before selling with a new top, has a few more dents than the 89 at this time and some minor mechanical things which I will fix, both I will sell for 15k a piece after getting Virginia titles. They are stuck in Spain right now for an inspection, never thought they would be inspected enroute.

I am upfront about what I do, my profit margin is about 4.5 k per car on these which I deem fair for all the work and risk involved, overcoming language barriers and bureaucracy roadblocks. I will post them here before ebay and anyone who's interested can contact me, the prices will be firm, I don't overprice and take offers, just keep it simple. so please don't compare me to 'Bill Cox', I'm honest about what I peddle.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
300tdi, tdi