Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old September 11th, 2015, 12:01 AM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
Disco 200tdi transplant for RHD defender engine/trans/etc

For sale is a disco 200tdi out of my 110. It would be an easy drop in swap for any rhd defender. Throw on a defender 200tdi or 300tdi exhaust manifold and it will work in a LHD truck (I have a disco 200tdi in my 90) the Milage is unknown, it came in my truck and I drove it 220 miles or so including city, freeway and a couple decent grades. It pulls well and only appears to leak a small amount of oil from the rocker cover, looks like it needs a new rocker cover seal. I did a compression test today and here are the results, in PSI:

Cyl 1- 374
Cyl 2- 386
Cyl 3- 384.5
Cyl 4- 372

Included is the following:
Disco 200tdi with all accessories- alt, ps pump/reservior, newer starter motor
Lt77 transmission that doesn't not grind, shifts smooth
As much of the exhaust that you want, from a 110, including the downpipe adapter.
Radiator, appears to be newer
Intercooler including piping.

I am probably forgetting some stuff. I would much prefer a local pickup but if that doesn't work out then I could ship. It's still in my truck but I can pull it any time. The price is $3000
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	129501  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2015, 12:08 AM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
Trying to post a video
Old September 11th, 2015, 12:16 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Great deal and Mack is a stand up guy.

Mack-
If you don't end up parting with the Defender exhaust (and/or) intake manifold I'll take it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2015, 12:44 AM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user View Post
Great deal and Mack is a stand up guy.

Mack-
If you don't end up parting with the Defender exhaust (and/or) intake manifold I'll take it!
Thanks, and I will keep that in mind. Let me know if you still want to come pick up the trailer.
Old September 11th, 2015, 07:15 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

PM sent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 11th, 2015, 08:12 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Great post, great price, good numbers! GLWTS.

If any of you LHD buyers need a 300 exhaust mani set up I have a spare for sale with used turbo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 5th, 2015, 01:50 PM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
Bump, still for sale
Old October 6th, 2015, 01:34 AM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

I am interested. Was the compression test done when cold?

Why you selling?
Old October 6th, 2015, 01:37 AM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
It wasn't cold but it wasn't operating temp. I am doing a full rebuild on the truck it came in and have a LC9 5.3 ready to go in it.
Old October 6th, 2015, 01:43 AM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Could you possibly get cold numbers?

How many miles does the odometer say it has?

Glad that we are on the same side of the country at least...
Old October 6th, 2015, 01:45 AM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
The odometer says 242k or so but that's no indication of the miles on the engine as the truck didn't come with this 200tdi. I can do another compression test.
Old October 6th, 2015, 01:56 AM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macker View Post
The odometer says 242k or so but that's no indication of the miles on the engine as the truck didn't come with this 200tdi. I can do another compression test.
I hear you but it would have been much nicer if your truck had 142K with this engine on. gotta think that the engine transplanted may not have been new either. So mileage number is as good as probably 220 miles or as bad as 242K plus the miles before transplantation on the engine. Whoever you got this from probably able to give some ideas as to by whom and how long ago the engine was transplanted.

As you know, cold compression number will give some good clues for the engine @ the worst condition. If you do take video during some compression testing that will really help you sell this with a proof that the engine is cold like holding onto turbo manifold and such with bare hand.

I am serious about buying this if good because I do have RHD 110.
Old October 7th, 2015, 09:05 AM
Tribe
Pablo Cocito
1987 Tithonus 110

I think that the mileage of the 200tdi is irrelevant at this point. It came off a Disco that didn't pass the MOT. If it's a 20 year old engine we should assume it has at least 200K miles, and that's pretty good for a 200tdi if the vitals are good and it has no strange knocks. One important thing to know besides compression is oil pressure, and the rest is just rutine maintenance: change water pump, timing belt, seals, and you should have engine for a long time
Old October 7th, 2015, 05:36 PM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribe View Post
I think that the mileage of the 200tdi is irrelevant at this point. It came off a Disco that didn't pass the MOT. If it's a 20 year old engine we should assume it has at least 200K miles, and that's pretty good for a 200tdi if the vitals are good and it has no strange knocks. One important thing to know besides compression is oil pressure, and the rest is just rutine maintenance: change water pump, timing belt, seals, and you should have engine for a long time

I would want an engine with known mileage every time all the time if possible.

You are buying a used engine, you need every information possible to make a sound purchase.

Rings wear, bearings, turbo, cylinder wall... all that leads to blow bys aside from lack of power, diluting oil with fuel. Not a good combo for the engine and for the folk in the car when the engine decides to run away.

Back on the topic, I am shopping for an engine. Zak Moiser has one for sale $4700. I am tempted.
Old October 7th, 2015, 06:33 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

While "reaching for the sky" is a good thing...
If you want an old engine in new condition, then you'll have to buy a fresh rebuild or a like scenario that happened to be wrecked with known low mileage or post rebuild low mileage.
What we have here for sale by Mack is an engine with unknown miles with a lot of extra kit at a reasonable price with pretty acceptable compression readings.

Most people don't guarantee used engines only ones that are completely rebuilt and tested.
The 200TDI has been around for about 25 years and Land Rover has not manufactured the engine and most major components for about 10 years.
Bosch has discontinued the complete injectors for example, although you can assemble them out of new parts that are still manufactured in small separate batches (pushing the price upward).
The 200TDI is older than some of the people driving vehicles powered by them.
Gently used low mileage ones are hard to come by.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old October 7th, 2015, 07:01 PM
Tribe
Pablo Cocito
1987 Tithonus 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyDrivenDefende View Post

Rings wear, bearings, turbo, cylinder wall... all that leads to blow bys aside from lack of power, diluting oil with fuel. Not a good combo for the engine and for the folk in the car when the engine decides to run away.
Wow never thought about all that... Thanks for the heads up man... Good luck finding you low and known mileage 200tdi 👍🏻
Old October 7th, 2015, 07:46 PM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Bosh has discontinued the complete injectors for example, although you can assemble them out of new parts that are still manufactured in small separate batches (pushing the price upward).
The 200TDI is older than some of the people driving vehicles powered by them.
Gently used low mileage ones are hard to come by.

Not to dilute the thread, but it seems like you are probably biased toward 300TDI swap?

I am not pointing the following comments to anyone in particular but FYI.

I am not shopping for a new engine. I don't know why anyone would think that I am wanting a new engine. I just want to know if possible to know or get an idea about the mileage the engine has.

As we all know these engines are old and tired... We all know that and when I ask simple basic question about a used engine, I really don't know why some people get all mad and offended.

Let me ask this back to those who thinks I am stupid. What would you do in my situation if you are buying a used engine? For a second, would you not think about how many miles the engine has accumulated?

Let us CTFD and please let Macker post some numbers on the cold compression and cold startup tail pipe video. I am asking all these questions because I am serious about buying it.
Old October 7th, 2015, 07:58 PM
javelinadave
-
-

never mind
Old October 7th, 2015, 08:06 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Not to dilute the thread, but it seems like you are probably biased toward 300TDI swap?

I am not shopping for a new engine. I don't know why anyone would think that I am wanting a new engine. I just want to know if possible to know or get an idea about the mileage the engine has.

As we all know these engines are old and tired... We all know that and when I ask simple basic question about a used engine, I really don't know why some people get all mad and offended.

Let me ask this back to those who thinks I am stupid. What would you do in my situation if you are buying a used engine? For a second, would you not think about how many miles the engine has accumulated?

Let us CTFD and please let Macker post some numbers on the cold compression and cold startup tail pipe video. I am asking all these questions because I am serious about buying it.
I don't think anyone is mad at you, you're cool with me.
In particular am not partial to 300TDI engines at all, but as you must know, any TDI is an upgrade to a non-TDI 4 cylinder.
Good luck in your search for a decent engine at a decent price, Michael.

Mack:
Good luck with your sale.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old October 7th, 2015, 08:08 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I don't think you are stupid. But I do think you are reading alot into others' messages that isn't really there. Like Pendy used to say, "Advice is only as good as the person applying it. Don't make me give you bad advice."

In other words, you are getting good solid information from some of the most knowledgeable and experienced members of this group. Which is, presumably, why you came here in the first place.

So, why do you feel dejected? Because the answers to your questions aren't what you want to hear?

Quote:

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled

Lower Navigation