Diesel Sedimenters for sale $119 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old June 17th, 2013, 08:20 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Diesel Sedimenters for sale $119 ea.

For those of you who would like to add a sedimenter with a glass bowel, we just finished a production run and will offer 12 of these for $119 each + shipping if anyone wants one. Fuel fitting options are 5/16 (8mm) or 3/8 (10mm). Has a top bleed fitting and a bottom drain. No plastic parts, all metal. Can be completely disassembled for cleaning. All seals are viton, so safe for bio-diesel.

Measures roughly 7" tall X 4" wide (not counting the right fuel fitting) which is the standard size.

Shipping via USPS Medium Flat Rate Box, $12.

For those of you worried about the possibility of the heat treated glass breaking, a replacement is currently $12.99.

These are best mounted between the fuel tank and filter and will trap water and particulate stopping it from getting to the fuel filter.

Send email or PM for payment and shipping info. if interested.
Offer good through July 31, 2013.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010202.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	74593  

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2013, 08:58 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

How big is it? Measurements would be great!
Old June 17th, 2013, 09:02 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoverlandrover View Post
How big is it? Measurements would be great!
First post updated with measurements.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 18th, 2013, 05:46 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Never mind

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old June 18th, 2013, 07:20 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Robert those are very nice. GLWTS. My funds are tied up otherwise I would get one.
Old June 18th, 2013, 07:46 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Glass bowel?

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 18th, 2013, 09:19 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Sedimenter with real glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Glass bowel?
Yes Bill glass.

The glass bowl sedimenters are much more popular than the all metal version.
We have a few of the metal ones as well, but just sent a bunch out to Colorado.

Many like the glass because you can see what is trapped, how much water, and so on.
If they are concerned about the thick heat treated glass breaking, they mount them under the hood or tucked away where they can still see and drain it, but not at risk of breaking. With the metal bottom protecting the glass breakage is very very rare.

Have only sent out one $12 replacement glass when a guy dropped one that hit some tools lying underneath and cracked the side several years ago.

Old June 18th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I think Bill is worried about bowel failure or loosening of the seal causing leakage.

o_O

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old June 18th, 2013, 10:13 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
For those of you who would like to add a sedimenter with a glass bowel, we just finished a production run and will offer 12 of these for $119 each + shipping if anyone wants one. Fuel fitting options are 5/16 (8mm) or 3/8 (10mm). Has a top bleed fitting and a bottom drain. No plastic parts, all metal. Can be completely disassembled for cleaning. All seals are viton, so safe for bio-diesel.

Measures roughly 7" tall X 4" wide (not counting the right fuel fitting) which is the standard size.

Shipping via USPS Medium Flat Rate Box, $12.

For those of you worried about the possibility of the heat treated glass breaking, a replacement is currently $12.99.

These are best mounted between the fuel tank and filter and will trap water and particulate stopping it from getting to the fuel filter.

Send email or PM for payment and shipping info. if interested.
Offer good through July 31, 2013.
Do you a picture of one of these fitted to a 85 LR90 tdi ? with a side tank I am finding it hard to find a suitable place to fit one. Thanks

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old June 18th, 2013, 10:46 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
Do you a picture of one of these fitted to a 85 LR90 tdi ? with a side tank I am finding it hard to find a suitable place to fit one. Thanks
I do not, but have fitted them under the hood next to the diesel filter, on the fire wall and so on.

Old June 19th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

I wouldn't worry about the bowl breaking unless abused. I'm not aware of the CAV sedimenter bowls having a reputation for breaking.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:58 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
I think Bill is worried about bowel failure or loosening of the seal causing leakage.

o_O
Yup hate loose bowels.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 19th, 2013, 10:26 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Not CAV, no plastic parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
I wouldn't worry about the bowl breaking unless abused. I'm not aware of the CAV sedimenter bowls having a reputation for breaking.
The CAV units have plastic internal parts and bleed screws.
This is a sedimenter unit we assemble out of parts we both buy and manufacture, that eliminates the plastic parts, especially the plastic CAV thumb screw drains that break off when you use them. None of the parts are CAV except the glass bowl is a "CAV style".

Old June 19th, 2013, 04:47 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Where and how to install...

Have been getting lots and lots of questions on how and where to install...
The nice think about a sedimenter is that it works where ever it is installed as long as you route the fuel to it, then the fuel pump, and then to the fuel filter.

It doesn't matter where it's installed.

How do you install it?
1.) Pick a location where you can get to it to drain it and where it is not to close to the exhaust system, driveshafts, rotating fan, and so on.

2.) Route the fuel in and out of the sedimenter, the in port is labeled (stamped into the housing. The other port not marked in is the out port.

Then you're done.
I've seen them under the hood, on the frame rail, on the bulkhead, and so on.

People are asking if I have a picture of one installed in this year or that year vehicle?
NO

Here is a picture of one installed on a 1983 110. I prefer the glass bowl model, but were out of them at the time, this one is all metal in the picture.

As a practice, I always install a 12V pump after the sedimenter, but before the lift pump, then fuel filter. the pump can be seen in the picture.

Why?

Because a sedimenter traps water and particulate before it passing through the fuel pump and filter saving them both and a 12V pump feeds fuel to the lift pump preventing it from running dry when you run out of fuel and preventing the IP from running dry when you change the fuel filter.

Why should I install a sedimenter?

Sediment and water do horrible things to injection systems. We had an issue with fuel filters clogging on our 1982 Mercedes 300TD wagon. It would drive about 10 miles before both primary and secondary filters clogged with rust particles. The primary filter would trap the larger particles, but the smaller ones would clog up the larger secondary fuel filter element. After changing both filters 4 times in less than 50 miles and getting towed home, started researching how to trap rust particulate. We installed one of these sedimenters after the tank, then a low pressure electric fuel pump, then routed the fuel to the lift pump and removed the little inline primary filter. Have been driving the vehicle for over a year without changing the fuel filter. At first thought we had purged all the rust when we changed the filter 4 times, so decided to disassemble the sedimenter to see it it trapped anything after a year of driving. In the bottom was over 2.5 inches of fine rust particles. We cleaned out the sedimenter, put the unit back together and watched it fill up with diesel. Never changed the main fuel filter! How does a sedimenter work? A sedimenter looks like a fuel filter, but contains an open space. At the top of the open space is an inverted funnel shaped cone. Fuel enters the cone's center and is forced down into the bottom where water, and particulate are trapped. The fuel then moves upward and travels around the cone's edge and exits. This "fuel current" will trap water, particulate, and sludge that can be purged via the bottom drain. Without a sedimenter, sludge, water, and particulate will collect in the fuel filter requiring frequent changes.

OK hope this answers everyone's questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sedimenter.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	74654  

Old June 19th, 2013, 05:20 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
These things are the cat's meow.

I've used these for years on the boats.

You'll be amazed on all the crap that the sedimenter will trap.

Old June 19th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
The CAV units have plastic internal parts and bleed screws.
Yeah, I was just addressing the bowl part, that glass bowls have been used for decades.
I didn't mean to imply yours were CAV or parts.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:28 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I remember my grandfather telling me how (back in the day) they couldn't get diesel fuel that didn't have water in it and they would take the glass bowls off trucks and school buses at night during the winter so they wouldn't freeze and crack.
Old June 19th, 2013, 10:39 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
Yeah, I was just addressing the bowl part, that glass bowls have been used for decades.
I didn't mean to imply yours were CAV or parts.
No problem, just wanted to express that our units are free of plastic parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
I remember my grandfather telling me how (back in the day) they couldn't get diesel fuel that didn't have water in it and they would take the glass bowls off trucks and school buses at night during the winter so they wouldn't freeze and crack.
Yes people don't remember how bad fuel was years ago, often 5 - 10% water.
During an earlier post Dennis MacGyver was boasting/poasting how well his small small small V8 gasoline filter worked so fantastic and trouble free with his diesel conversion. Two months ago, a friend tested a sedimenter by dumping 10 ounces of water in his fuel tank. I rode with him and we dumped the sedimenter twice into a can when the engine started smoking.
Then we drained the fuel filter into a separate can. There was no water in the fuel filter.

Would like to ride with Dennis during the same test as long as we were followed and I had a ride home...

These sedimenters are available at cost for anyone who wants one or more...
We offered 12 and 5 are now gone, so 7 are are available.

Old June 19th, 2013, 10:48 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
These things are the cat's meow.

I've used these for years on the boats.

You'll be amazed on all the crap that the sedimenter will trap.
Did you take a boat over to the states? Or was it a raft?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 26th, 2013, 06:28 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

2 Left...

Still have 2 left with glass bowl if anyone wants one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
diesel