Diesel Sedimenters for sale $119 - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old October 28th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Axel
jack
1987 Defender 110 5-door

Where are these installed on a RHD 110?
Do you just drain them after each fill up, or does it drip out....?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2013, 07:04 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

The best case is fuel tank, sedimenter on frame rail, 12V fuel pump just after the sedimenter, mechanical fuel pump, fuel filter, IP, return line straight back to tank.

System is completely self bleeding and generally trouble free.

Sedimenter is only drained when water and particulate need to be purged which is generally visible by simply looking at the unit. Note the lower part has a see through glass bowl. The bottom bolt is removed to drain leaving the rest of the unit intact. The entire unit can also be disassembled for cleaning.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old November 12th, 2013, 07:15 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Question on flow direction

I am curious on the design of these units. It appears that the fuel flow is from right to left, based on the stamping on the top of the unit, which seems opposite of how you might want it setup to allow for a cleaner routing of the plumbing. Is there a reason for this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	84110  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2013, 09:48 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattarm View Post
I am curious on the design of these units. It appears that the fuel flow is from right to left, based on the stamping on the top of the unit, which seems opposite of how you might want it setup to allow for a cleaner routing of the plumbing. Is there a reason for this?
Yes the reason is that is the way the manufacturer chose to route the fuel through the top casting.
I use these on all our Rovers and you simply route the lines accordingly, no problem really.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old November 13th, 2013, 08:09 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Superior Design!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattarm View Post
Oh forgot to mention that a better location for the sedimenter is on the inside of the frame rail where it is less exposed than under the wheel well. That is where we mount ours and when on the inside the fuel routing goes directly into the unit and out in the same direction.

The main casting we use is of superior design and this post will explain why.
So we use a superior top casting and then manufacture the rest of the parts from aluminum and use the largest, strongest glass bowl available supported by a metal shield with a large leak proof viton seal.

The Lucas, CAV, Delphi filter heads are of inferior design. They contain a bolt that comes through from the top sealed by an O-ring under a steel washer at the top of the casting. These tiny O-rings are fragile. They twist and tear as you tighten the top bolt. Also it is easier to over tighten the CAV style. The drains are too small. They have a plastic deflector cone inside with a plastic drain screw that breaks off when used. The seals are buna and neoprene and smaller than ours. They are more likely to leak especially when used with bio-fuels that dissolve these type of seals.

The sedimenters we supply have custom made parts that make our units better. The top casting is American design and manufacture, made by Roosa Master. The through bolt comes from the bottom and contains a much larger drain sealed by a 3/8" flange bolt. The through bolt has a real seal, not just a puny O-ring. When you disassemble the unit for cleaning, you put it back together from the bottom. You hold the sections up and screw the bolt in (from the bottom). This is much easier than having to hold the CAV parts from the bottom and screw the bolt in from the top. Our units do not contain any plastic parts. The seals are viton which are heat resistant and unaffected by bio-fuels.

Hope this helps and explains.
Thanks for your input, stay so busy, but probably should have explained some of this earlier.

Old November 13th, 2013, 10:14 AM
gammaguy
Jeff LaCroix
1985 D90

Is there a specific fuel pump you recommend with mounting inside on the frame rail?
Old November 13th, 2013, 11:04 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

We have had good luck with the AirTex E8012S.
The bad news is Spectrum bought AirTex so you may have a little difficulty finding one locally.
I am testing 2 other brands, but don't have them installed yet so can't comment right now.

Old November 14th, 2013, 10:32 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

One more thing I left out regarding the CAV units.
The sections often do not fit tightly because they are cast instead of precision machined like the units we build. The loose fitting CAV sections leave enough space to cock the sections to one side and fracture the glass or cause a leak due to the smaller seals.

Our units can only fit together one way due to having just the right amount of clearance and will not cock off center when tightened.

Old November 24th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Robert, do you have any of these left? Trying to get one for the 300...
Old November 24th, 2014, 05:31 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I will have some around Christmas.

Old November 24th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Ahh I think I'll need one much sooner than that....JONESY??
Old November 24th, 2014, 06:54 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Oh forgot to mention that a better location for the sedimenter is on the inside of the frame rail where it is less exposed than under the wheel well. That is where we mount ours and when on the inside the fuel routing goes directly into the unit and out in the same direction.
Did I get the mounting position correct?

Great product, by the way. I'm very happy with the performance and ease of installation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old November 24th, 2014, 08:07 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Looks good to me.
From the picture, it appears to be mounted to the outside frame rail, but I could be wrong as there are various models and associated length wheel bases.
While there is no stead fast mount location, I generally mount these on the inside frame rail, but many others use the outside rail with good results.
The whole point of having one will be to trap and thus see the sediment and moisture that gets trapped and will never be passed on to the lift pump, fuel filter, and injection pump.
You just open the drain and catch it all in a can...

ZG
I have one mounted on a vehicle that I will remove for you if you need a sedimenter sooner than next month.
Just PM me and we'll define the shipping details.
R&D

Old November 24th, 2014, 11:09 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Robert,

I bought one o yours for my RRC , and would like another after Christmas when available, for my d90 I just had converted. They used a paper fuel Filter .Looks like a regular gas fuel filter mounted on the frame. Are you familiar with these.
Old November 24th, 2014, 11:50 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbull View Post
Robert,

I bought one o yours for my RRC , and would like another after Christmas when available, for my d90 I just had converted. They used a paper fuel Filter .Looks like a regular gas fuel filter mounted on the frame. Are you familiar with these.
You cannot use a gasoline filter on a diesel. Check it to make sure its ok for diesel or it will let you down.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 25th, 2014, 08:25 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Robert,

I bought one o yours for my RRC , and would like another after Christmas when available, for my d90.
Will announce on this thread when the next batch is available.

Quote:
Robert,

... for my d90 I just had converted. They used a paper fuel Filter .Looks like a regular gas fuel filter mounted on the frame. Are you familiar with these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
You cannot use a gasoline filter on a diesel. Check it to make sure its ok for diesel or it will let you down.
We converted a RR Classic and made the BIG MISTAKE of leaving the gasoline paper fuel filter in place. It prevented the engine from running over 50 MPH. Took out the non-diesel compatible gasoline fuel filter and immediately drove 75 MPH on the highway. That gasoline filter also caused the engine to stop a few times before we swapped it out. Fuel starvation is a terrible thing as UD explains will let you down.

Old November 25th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Looks good to me.
From the picture, it appears to be mounted to the outside frame rail, but I could be wrong as there are various models and associated length wheel bases.
While there is no stead fast mount location, I generally mount these on the inside frame rail, but many others use the outside rail with good results.
The whole point of having one will be to trap and thus see the sediment and moisture that gets trapped and will never be passed on to the lift pump, fuel filter, and injection pump.
You just open the drain and catch it all in a can...

ZG
I have one mounted on a vehicle that I will remove for you if you need a sedimenter sooner than next month.
Just PM me and we'll define the shipping details.
R&D
Thanks Robert, Craig and Kraig both had ones available, so I'll be buying one off you when your next batch is finished and sending it his way.

Thanks!
Old November 25th, 2014, 01:08 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Yeah I get that a paper petrol filter is NOT a good idea on a diesel set up, and was repremanded by Overlander as such, but when I inquired I was told it was a diesel filter. And since the truck runs fine, 80 plus on the highway, I was curious if Uncle Douglas or Robert, or any of the learned here had heard of such a thing?
Old November 25th, 2014, 05:21 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Yeah I get that a paper petrol filter is NOT a good idea on a diesel set up, and was repremanded by Overlander as such, but when I inquired I was told it was a diesel filter. And since the truck runs fine, 80 plus on the highway, I was curious if Uncle Douglas or Robert, or any of the learned here had heard of such a thing?
Yes there is one of those little gasoline filters mounted in the back of the V8 equipped vehicles that is available in composite filter material that will pass diesel.
If you are lucky enough to find one it will work fine until you get a bad batch of fuel that has active or died off algae, water, particulate, and or sludge.
Then that baby gasoline filter will clog quickly.
When replacing it, if you are unlucky enough to buy a paper replacement that is not diesel compatible, well you know what will happen.

The positive effects of installing a sedimenter before the fuel filter are that the majority, if not all of the water and other particulate will be trapped thus saving the primary diesel filter from clogging.

Old November 25th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller

Registry
Quote:
Yes there is one of those little gasoline filters mounted in the back of the V8 equipped vehicles that is available in composite filter material that will pass diesel.
If you are lucky enough to find one it will work fine until you get a bad batch of fuel that has active or died off algae, water, particulate, and or sludge.
Then that baby gasoline filter will clog quickly.
When replacing it, if you are unlucky enough to buy a paper replacement that is not diesel compatible, well you know what will happen.

The positive effects of installing a sedimenter before the fuel filter are that the majority, if not all of the water and other particulate will be trapped thus saving the primary diesel filter from clogging.
Robert,

Thanks, I will put the sedimenter I originally bought for the RRC on the d90, and get another from you in the next batch. I kind of thought this was the case.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
diesel