Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old May 9th, 2016, 01:40 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Defender Radiator Grills For Sale

Hi Forum members - I use to be semi active on the forum up till 5 years ago. I was managing two other “1 off” projects at the same time I was producing components for Defenders. When the other two projects needed all of my time I had to stop fabricating components and accessories. The two projects have settled out and I can get back to the fun stuff of fabricating truck parts. I moved away from making stainless steel components- I am now making parts out of aluminum. The variety of items I make has also been reduced. This will provide the time I need to fabricate the highest quality hand crafted components. Details of the components I am selling are available on the “Defender Products” page on my website …. americandirtroads.com.

I have posted pics of two different radiator grills I am making/selling; a “Type I ” and “Type II “ - the base price is $400.00 for either one. They are drop in replacements for the factory grill. And are designed to replace the factory grill for a ’97 Defender - so if your truck can be fitted with a grill from a ’97 NAS truck they will fit your truck.

If you are interested in seeing the other components I fabricate just visit my site. The link to the Defender Products is at the bottom of the home page.

Regards,
Len
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	silvergrill_1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	474.9 KB
ID:	149008   Click image for larger version

Name:	silvergrill_2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	461.1 KB
ID:	149009  

Name:	silvergrill_3.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	149010   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenonlygrill_1.jpg
Size:	526.9 KB
ID:	149011  

Name:	screenonlygrill_2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	508.3 KB
ID:	149012   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenonlygrill_3.jpg
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	149013  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2016, 01:47 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Welcome back. I remember you and your wares! Good stuff! I'm not a fan of the SVX trucks, but if I had one, I'd much prefer your real steel (although in this case ALU) grille! Anything but plastic, right? ;-) Great looking grille! Very solid, all the while maintaining the aesthetics of the SVX design. Again, great looking product. Good luck and all the best.
Old May 9th, 2016, 09:55 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Hi David, thanks for the complements. Yes, I understand not everyone is a fan of the style - but I found some unexpected benefit to my design. When I removed the factory plastic louver grille a few years ago, and installed the new "Type I" (4 horizontal bars) grille on my truck I found that the nominal running water temps measured by the water temp gage dropped. When using the factory grille at Freeway, around town and 4 wheeling speeds the water temp gage needle was always pegged in the center of the gage . After the new Type I was installed the nominal water temps register one needle width to the cooler side. So there must be some improved air flow with my grill over the factory unit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2016, 12:40 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Good news - I am offering a price reduction on my radiator grilles - I am selling them for $300.00 rather than the original $400.

Old May 10th, 2016, 12:50 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Not in the market but what do they look like mounted?
Old May 10th, 2016, 02:01 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Thanks for the interest. The grilles are attached to 6 small "L" brackets that are attached to the same 6 vertical factory plastic nuts that hold the factory grill to the truck. I have a pic of them on my website. I will take some additional pics that show the attachment and add them to the ADR web site. The grille has 6 rivinuts - 6 machine screws pass through the "L" brackets and screw into the rivinuts. The grille stands off of the body work by 1/4" to 3/8".This attachment design with the "L" brackets allows for body flex to occur and eliminate any possible contact with the grille -(unless you use the grille to play tag with a rock or tree)

Old May 10th, 2016, 09:22 AM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
They look great...I wonder how they would look or fit on a bump out AC type radiator support...I assume similar to this pic...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1985 Defender body '90 Fire and Ice almost done grill close.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	149117  

2017 Range Rover L405 HSE TD6
2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII - Gone but not forgotten
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Old May 10th, 2016, 10:35 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Thank you for the complement. My grilles would fit if 2 design elements of the radiator support pictured haven't changed. The first is the location of 6 vertical plastic nuts that hold the factory grille in place and second is whether or not they changed the slight front arch of the defenders body work. I suspect they did not change those two features on the radiator support. Because of all of the new plastic grills are advertised as drop in replacements whether or not the extended radiator support is in place. When I designed the frame of my grille I used the look of the new plastic grilles as part of my design input so it will have a similar appearance as the one pictured...

Old May 11th, 2016, 12:10 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
Not in the market but what do they look like mounted?
Hi Matthew,

I attached pics of the grille attached to my truck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Full metal D90 grill 1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	399.0 KB
ID:	149208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Full metal D90 grill 2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	149209  

Name:	Full metal D90 grill 3.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	149210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Full metal D90 grill 4.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	149211  

Name:	Full metal D90 grill 5.jpg
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	149212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Full metal D90 grill 6.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	149213  

Old May 11th, 2016, 12:42 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Looks good. From 5' away I'd swear it was an SVX/kbx grille. With the bump out headlight surrounds to match (which would hide the mounting tabs) it would be even harder to tell.

Was that pic taken in haste or do you not have the mesh behind it on purpose? Just wondering if that had effected those more favorable engine temperatures.
Old May 11th, 2016, 01:33 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
Looks good. From 5' away I'd swear it was an SVX/kbx grille. With the bump out headlight surrounds to match (which would hide the mounting tabs) it would be even harder to tell.

Was that pic taken in haste or do you not have the mesh behind it on purpose? Just wondering if that had effected those more favorable engine temperatures.
The unit on my truck is the prototype - at the time I made most of those images it did not have any additional screen. It currently has a one -off very light weight galvanized screen behind the bars. It is not as strong as the 12 gage 1/2" steel screen. I am going to cut a screen for my prototype grille this week and watch the temp behavior. I don't anticipate any degredation in air flow. My design allows a freer flow of air to the radiator. The factory louver grill deflects the air flow inhibiting any chance of a direct flow to the radiator . I will update this string after I get it installed and tested. I also just bought a half sheet of 3/4" aluminum mesh screen to test as well. I wanted to see if the 3/4" aluminum screen will look good as the 1/2" steel screen.

Old May 15th, 2016, 01:20 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
The 3/4" aluminum screen did not look as good as the 1/2" screen. So I added an aluminum 1/2" screen to the prototype grill on my truck to test airflow restriction. I'll drive my truck for a while to see if the 1/2 screen causes changes in the water temp gage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Full metal D90 grill 7.jpg
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	149547  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
defender, for sale, radiator