Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old October 19th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Black_and_Blue
Tommy Moore
1994 #1398

Registry
DC area, Fiberglass Hardtop for Sale

I live in Washington and purchased a 1994 ST this past summer. Came with the black fiberglass top, I am going to order a Rovers North top and won't be needing the fiberglass top.

I have seen some of the prices these things go for. I'd like to get $1200 for it. In exchange for the relatively low price I'll need your help in taking it off my truck, will help bolt on yours if you want to drive away with it on your rig. Don't have pics, can take them with the camera phone and email if you're interested. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it -- no busted glass, cracks, nothing.

The only catch is this -- Rovers North top takes about two weeks to get here so I'd like to figure out a way to get it done after my new top arrives.

Thanks, TM

ninja_exterminator@hotmail.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2006, 12:54 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
PM sent
Old October 19th, 2006, 01:53 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Tommy, why are you going for the Badger knock off when you can have the REAL thing for the same price.

Do yourself a favor and talk to Chris.

http://www.badgercoachworks.com/
Phone: 508.394.2680

Will you ship the fiberglass top?

FYI the top will need to be modified if it is going on a 1995 or 1997
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2006, 03:13 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yes, please dont patronize RN for top purchases. I try not to buy anything from them actually.
Old October 19th, 2006, 03:32 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"FYI the top will need to be modified if it is going on a 1995 or 1997"

Untrue. You have to slightly mod it to fit a 94 (trim some fibreglass need the slant pieces and install rivnuts), once modded for a 94 it will go right back on a 95 or 97.
Old October 20th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

I'd like to chime in on the Badger top issue. Do what Ron and Jim advise, and you'll be much happier.

jC
Old October 20th, 2006, 09:23 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Untrue ?????????

Ron whatís the difference between modify and SLIGHTLY modify?

You have to cut part of the top so it will fit a 95 or 97.

I am also with Jim. I donít buy from RN unless I absolutely have to.
Old October 20th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Black_and_Blue
Tommy Moore
1994 #1398

Registry
Thanks for all the inquiries, I'll take pics and email them out to those who've asked. Regarding RN, they can get it to me in two weeks, BW takes at least six. Having seen both in action is there a difference I haven't spotted, ie does one rot quicker or something?
Old October 20th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

It would be that of attention to detail and materials used in my opinion. And the fact that RN copied Chris's top (he used to supply RN's top) and had someone else make it for cheaper. I guess I look at it as, you get what you pay for. If you ever have a problem with RN's top, I doubt that they would be of much help, but you can count of Chris. I am speaking of experiences I have had with Badger and hearing others as well. Do you want a black top or just is it because that is the color RN has. Chris will make it in many different colors and styles. I guess with a yellow Defender, black is the best color though.

All the best,

Follow-up Post:

Can you send along some picture to me too if Ade and Ron aren't interested.
Thanks,
MLynch1997@comcast.net

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 20th, 2006, 12:10 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Ron, I think you have it backwards, you have to cut/mod to fit a 94 not a 95 or 97.

http://www.defendersource.com/tech/i...op_page_10.pdf

Ron
Old October 20th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Black_and_Blue
Tommy Moore
1994 #1398

Registry
So it appears the bad blood is a result of a business deal gone bad, not RN putting out an inferior product (I've ridden in trucks with both and can't tell the difference). If whomever wants to buy this thing wants to wait six weeks for Badger to come through I'll go with Badger for the sake of solidarity.

Also I have the original soft top I'll throw in with the hard top for the guy who wants to clutter his garage ...
Old October 20th, 2006, 01:26 PM
evilfij
evilfij

It is inferior. Material is not as nice and some of the seams are not double stitched. We know this because one was sent to badger for warantee work.
Old October 20th, 2006, 04:36 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Ron If you have a 95/ 97 top and want to put it on a 94 then you need to modify. If you have a 94 top and you want to put it on a 95 /97 then you need to modify. The diagonal cage supports are different on the 94 to the 95/ 97.The hard tops are specifically made for that difference. If they werent then you would have a large cut out from the factory. Every one i have had (5) have only had a cut out large enough for the cage.
I had to field modify one at MAR 2 years ago. Its not a big deal all you need is a hack saw, tape, and a tape measure.
Tommy
BUY BADGER
Cancel the RN top and call Chris and tell him your behind him and maybe he will do a rush.
Old October 20th, 2006, 05:05 PM
evilfij
evilfij

To my knowledge they never made a 94 style fibreglass top, and I don't think they ever existed. I have had them new under both the old and the new part numbers and both were set up for the 95 and 97. The original parts books I had did not list a difference either. I also had one of the originals that was fitted to my red 94 when they first came out and it had to be cut to fit the 94. This is what I am trying to say, is that no such thing as a 94 fibreglass top. Maybe you know different?
Old October 20th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

My understanding is that the fiberglass hardtop first came out in '94 for the 100 black limited editions (with leather seats, etc.). However, I believe that they were simply cut at the POE to fit. Regardless, it really shouldn't take but a few minutes to do the "mod." And, as stated, the "mod" is just to open up the slot for the diagonal roll bar for the '94s, so they'll go onto a 95 or 97 with no issues (as that is what they were designed to go on). I'd be happy to snap a picture of mine that's been opened up on my '94.
Old October 20th, 2006, 07:10 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Chris is one helluva guy. Call him up and talk to him about colors, materials, and whatever custom mods you might want. Very personable and responsive. In my mind, customer service and loyalty to buys is worth the wait.

i have the Badger half cab, half tonneau and drop curtain if you want to check it out. I'm in Crystal City.
Old October 21st, 2006, 10:40 AM
kiphartzell
Kip Hartzell
'95 4.2L NAS D90

Regarding the fiberglass hardtop, as mentioned earlier, the only difference between a 94 and 95/97 installation is the location of the diagonal cage support. The two pictures attached show what would need to be remove if it is on a 94. I have a 95 with a fiberglass top that was previously mounted on a 94. The one picture (right side) shows what was cut perviously to fit the 94. My left panel was brand new (non-modified), yet there are cut lines that show where it would need to be modified if installed on a 94. As seen, this is not a big deal....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	95-cut.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	7148   Click image for larger version

Name:	95-uncut.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	7149  

Old October 21st, 2006, 02:58 PM
Black_and_Blue
Tommy Moore
1994 #1398

Registry
I don't know what to say, the top came with the rig doesn't appear to be after market as it has 'Land Rover' stamped on it in about three places. For those of you waiting for pics I'm sorry, the ones I took on my camera phone yesterday at work SUCK (dark parking garage) so I'll retake outside in a bit and email them.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:02 AM
Black_and_Blue
Tommy Moore
1994 #1398

Registry
Ok Pics have been sent

Sorry again for the lag, traveling but have managed to get some pics out of the camera phone out to those of you who've asked. TM
Old October 23rd, 2006, 02:55 PM
Dopplemax
Matthew Cooper
1997 Monza Red D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_and_Blue
Sorry again for the lag, traveling but have managed to get some pics out of the camera phone out to those of you who've asked. TM
If it hasnt been bought, I'd like to come take a look. Please PM me the pics and I'll get right back to you.

DMAX

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
fiber, fiberglass, glass, hardtop