Custom Radiator - Ron Davis - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old June 19th, 2009, 02:13 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Custom Radiator - Ron Davis

Solve all your overheating problems in style!!!!!!!

This is a custom made Ron Davis radiator (http://www.rondavisradiators.com/Radiators.htm).

All new......never used. This is bolt-in for the D90. It is all aluminum, all welded (no epoxy) with 1" wide tubes (http://www.rondavisradiators.com/2%20row%20core.jpg).

It has a built in tranny radiator as well. I am also selling the oil radiator separately (see other listing).

Runs with 2 SPAL fans and has the thermostat switches included.

I paid $1,300......my loss/your gain........Listing for $950 + S/H.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28193DT-2-CUSTOM.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	20097  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Why are you selling it?
Old June 19th, 2009, 07:58 AM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

emai sent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2009, 10:24 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Selling it because I unfortunately can't use it.

I am doing diesel conversion now and initially had it made for the 4.6 in the truck (which is also for sale!!)

Won't fit for application where you use an intercooler, ie turbo-diesel as the radiator is full width and would block the hoses to the intercooler.
Old June 19th, 2009, 12:19 PM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
I Think I Had A Radiator All Redone-recored For Around 400.00 Looked Like A New One When It Was Finished. That Was A Couple Yrs Ago.
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:10 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainviewrover
I Think I Had A Radiator All Redone-recored For Around 400.00 Looked Like A New One When It Was Finished. That Was A Couple Yrs Ago.
That's nice.....are you trying to sell it? LOL
Old June 19th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

I've had Ron Davis build me two radiators. When I did the first one, I tried to get the fan shroud and electric fans, but was told that the distance from the engine to the radiator was too close for it to work. (Second radiator, I just used to number and had a duplicate made.) What is the dimension from say the front of the radiator to the back of the electric fans on yours, I want to measure. Thanks.
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:22 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Hi Chris,

I don't know as the radiator is off site with other parts I have but I know it will fit with room to spare.

It has two SPAL fans in the shroud and they are high capacity. The radiator is made of 2 cores but each core is a full inch.....this is equivalent to a 4 core but actually less deep. The shoud and the two fans are actually LESS deep than the original shroud and belt driven fan. If you call Ron Davis they can probably give you all the dimensions. If not, I can try to have someone measure it for you.
Old June 20th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Finally reoriented myself to your pictures. The first one (Ron Davis logo) is not a picture of your radiator? And the other two are upside down? Looking at the location of the oil cooler inlets, were you planning on using something other than stock lines? The lower oil cooler port lookes to be 3 to 5 inches lower than normal to accommodate the fan.
Old June 20th, 2009, 08:58 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Chris,

You are correct the first picture is the "stock" photo from Ron Davis the other two are the actual radiator. This IS a brand new, never installed radiator.

The coolant line locations are all stock. The oil cooler lines are NOT for the engine oil but for the tranny oil (good eye).

When I spoke with Ron Davis they highly recommended NOT cooling the engine oil directly in the radiator as they thought it was "not enough" and it could overload the coolant system. I don't know if I agree but if it's true that could explain why so many people complain about cooling problems with their trucks.

To compensate for this Ron Davis can fab a oil cooler that is either fan cooled or cooled with and exchanger that uses engine coolant. This would still dump heat into the coolant system but they explained it is more efficient and the cooling system can handle this "better" than the OEM design. I also have the oil cooler for sale.

The radiator and the oil cooler are made for "performance" application and likely overkill for most our uses but I'm an overkill kind of guy.

As someone already pointed out you can easily recore your OEM radiator for a bit less. But I would rather pay a little more a get what I think may be a better system that arguable may last longer than the OEM even with the recore.
Old June 20th, 2009, 11:37 PM
canigo
chris andrews
97 D90 SW

i'll buy em

I'll take the radiator and the oil cooler. shoot me an email or PM.

-thanks.
Old June 21st, 2009, 10:43 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

The Ron Davis radiator I'm using is on my 110 Double cab with the 4.6 which has a performance cam and computer chip. I just like the electic fans built in I haven't noticed any issues with the oil cooling. In the stock 97, the tranny cooler is a little thing and the oil cooler is integrated - one would think if the transmission heat or the oil temp was an issue they would have used that opportunity to switch it. BTW- where were you going to put the oil cooler?
Old June 21st, 2009, 11:11 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

You can mount it anywhere you want but it looked like the ideal spot would be on top of the passenger chassis rail next to the wheel well. It's a heat exchanger so it doesn't use a fan.

Agree, that in most set up's the OEM is more than fine. I think the problem is that some of the tubes block up over time and this then decreases the efficiency. Even if you flow test in that situation I don't think you can tell if only a few are blocked up.

The truth is all three cooling systems ideally would be separated--like on my other car. But obviously there are space and cost constraints.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:06 PM
colorover
Brendon Loveday
95 D90

I will also take the rad and oil cooler if not already sold. PM sent.

Brendon

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
radiator