Complete 200 TDI FS in Florida - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old September 13th, 2006, 05:33 PM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

Complete 200 TDI FS in Florida

I just unpacked a 200 TDI complete from Intercoller / Raditor too the clutch cover. Engine has 38,000 miles on it. All pipes and hoses are included as are a new timimg belt and gaskets needed for swapping the belt. The raditor is new as I was not happy with the condition of the one provided.

This is a repost with pictures, more images are available upon request.

Included:
Radiator (new and old)
Intercooler
Pipes
New exhaust System
Engine Wire Loom
Air Box
Intake Pipes
clutch / fly wheel
radiator support
power steering pump
altanator
starter
200 TDI Gear Box With Transfer case and brake

$7200.00 or best offer, would ship via Forward Air or any other econmonical shipping.

For communications and shipping purposes I will be out of the contry between 20ish Sept and 20ish Oct. I can be reached at 407.782.7713.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2001.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	6688   Click image for larger version

Name:	2002.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	6689  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2006, 04:34 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

This is the disco version that is a pain to fit because of the intercooler and exhaust outlets. So anyone considering this should do their homework. Is the gearbox short shift or long shift?

Looks pretty good though for its age. Definitely flush the engine block when ever anyone gets this one going.

Not trying to hijack, but information helps buyer remorse prpblems.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old September 14th, 2006, 06:31 AM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

I beg to differ, that is the Defende Engine. On a Discovery the turbo is located below the intake and turbo on the 200 TDI. This is a striaght drop in engine, (except the engine mounts, which are different than the V8) all pipes and fixings match correctly. I have included a link that demonstartes the diffrence between the Disocvery and Defender Engine.

Before you question my integrity, please ensure you understand what you are talking about. My reputation is very important to me, and I would never list a part for other than what it is.

The gear box is the short shaft, Defender 200 TDI as well, as a Discovery box will not work with a Defender, well not without various time consuming modifications.

Thanks

The engine pictured is a 200 TDI for a Disocvery.

http://www.muddy-tyres.net/200conv.asp
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2006, 07:07 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Arrow

I am not questioning your integrity.

Good luck with it. 300 tdi is my forte.

JP

They are both a pain to fit in my opinion. Did the short shift trans come with this engine.

Old September 14th, 2006, 08:49 AM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

JP,

The engine I have listed is the proper 200TDI engine for installation in a Defender. On a 200TDI the turbo can either be located above the exhaust which is the Defender variant, or under the exhaust which is set up for a Discovery / Range Rover. Both are pictured above, the one I have for sell is the engine setup for a Defender. Where the one in my second post is set up for a Discovery.

Both engines will fit into a Defender, however to fit a Discovery engine (with turbo under the exhaust) various pipes and other bits have to be either resourced or altered. Since this engine is setup for a Defender in my opinion it is easier to fit as the all componets are designed to fit together, other than the engine mounts on the frame, which have to be replaced with Series or 200 TDI mounts.

All pipes and fittings match as they should for a Defender.
1. The heater hoses match and are setup for a Defender Heater.
2. The Intercooler hoses match the intercooler supplied.
3. The radiator match the upper and lower hose locations
4. Both the intercooler and the radiator match the housing, also supplied, and replaces the stock Defender radiator perfectly.
5. I have also included a proper Defender Exhasut which mates to the exhaust manifold and under-body mounting positions correctly and fits the truck as it should. I did not consdier however that the exhasut I have included in the package is for a 110, which means 16 inches has to be cut out of the rear section and rewelded, my fault for not thinking of that until I tried to understand your position this morning.
6. The airbox, which is the proper one for a Defender is included, and fits as it should.

If I read your post correctly this morning you are under the impression that this engine is setup for a Discovery. Is that the correct assumption? If so you are mistaken.

If in your opinion it is easier to fit an 200 TDI engine with the turbo under the exhaust (a Discovery or Range Rover engine) I don't undertsand the logic behind that opinion. A Discovery engine will work, but that means additional parts are required and pipes and hoses have to altered. I don't understand how that could be easier than a striaght drop in after relocating the engine mounts on the frame.

Please expand on your opinion as if the under the exhaust option is easier, that would save me some hassle in the future. I have installed 4 of these engines in Gray market Defenders, and Series trucks, and find the 200TDI setup for a Defender much easier to deal with.

The transmission is not the one from this engine, but is the proper short shaft, gearbox for a Defender 200 TDI monuted in a Defender frame. I purchased the gearbox from Rovers North. The other gearbox variant, setup for a Discovery, will not work in a Defender without replaceing the output shaft and sourcing the proper gear change mechanism. Both the shaft and the gear leaver are different for a Defender.

It was early this morning and I was still half asleep. When I read your post I understood that you suggested that the engine I have for sell is setup for a Discovery, turbo under the exhaust. If I misread your post I appoligize.

I would not misrepresent an item I have for sell. If the engine was setup for a Discovery I would state that and also state what is needed to make it work in a Defender. I assume that people on this sit are seeking engines for a Defender, I should have posted that assumption in the orginial post.

One person on this site was (or is not sure) interested in the engine, I have dealt with that person with open and honest communication, to prevent buyer's remorse. It is important to me that whom ever is interested in a purchase this large is fully informed and understands what they are getting. This is not a 9.99 cell phone accessory purchased from ebay, but a large investment. I have a real job and deal with Rovers as a dedicated hobby, at no time would I mislead a potential buyer to make a sell. I put up with the crap that we do with these trucks due to the people who drive them, not to make a quick buck.

Again if the Discovery option is a better choice in 200s. please share some details as I am scheduled to install one after I get back from Germany and the UK next month. Your opinion is valued, twice valued if it saves me time on the next one.

This is a 200 TDI Defender - Turbo on top
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-90-...QQcmdZViewItem

This is a 200 TDI Discovery - Turbo under the exhaust and air intake

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1993-LAND-ROVE...QQcmdZViewItem
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:09 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by safarirover
JP,

If I read your post correctly this morning you are under the impression that this engine is setup for a Discovery. Is that the correct assumption? If so you are mistaken.

If in your opinion it is easier to fit an 200 TDI engine with the turbo under the exhaust (a Discovery or Range Rover engine) I don't undertsand the logic behind that opinion. A Discovery engine will work, but that means additional parts are required and pipes and hoses have to altered. I don't understand how that could be easier than a striaght drop in after relocating the engine mounts on the frame.

]
Yes at first glance it looked like the discovery 200tdi. I was mistaken. You have the proper defender 200tdi engine for sale.
I still believe the 300 tdi with exhaust under the intake is the most straight forward installation. The pipes and such are very tight on the 200 tdi setup. IMO it is misleading to say the best fit is turbo on top. But as you point out turbo on top is the best 200 tdi version to fit. So apples to apples what you have said is correct.

Sorry to stir the pot and cause you to practice your typing skills here. And I hope you find a home for the engine soon.

JP

Old September 14th, 2006, 11:47 AM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Yes at first glance it looked like the discovery 200tdi. I was mistaken. You have the proper defender 200tdi engine for sale.
I still believe the 300 tdi with exhaust under the intake is the most straight forward installation. The pipes and such are very tight on the 200 tdi setup. IMO it is misleading to say the best fit is turbo on top. But as you point out turbo on top is the best 200 tdi version to fit. So apples to apples what you have said is correct.

Sorry to stir the pot and cause you to practice your typing skills here. And I hope you find a home for the engine soon.

JP
No problem JP, I secretly hoped that you had a better option for 200 TDI Defender installations. I just order a 300 with Auto for my Discovery, can't waite to see how that goes installation wise. Not the same as a defender installation, but hopefully not that different than a 200 Defender installation.

We shall see, have my work cut out for me.
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:57 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Just for my infromation... why is it easier to fit a 200 with the turbo on top? It looks like the turbo on the bottom is a closer match to the 300's position which seems to work well. Could a 300 down pipe just be modified to fit the disco 200 position?

I understand that your engine is a defender drop in and obviously a superior choice with all the fixings ready to go.

Someone should buy this thing... low miles... all the ancileries and a 200 is a sweet engnine that gets better milage than a 300... it is just a bit louder... but that diesel knock is so pleasant
Thanks
Steve
Old September 14th, 2006, 12:17 PM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

To answer your question, we would have to find the engineer that designed the Defender 200 setup. according to my contact in the UK the turbo was moved above the engine to help keep it cool, but it makes the system untidy. 300s have the turbo under the exhaust which makes for a cleaner look. It is easier in my mind to install as it was designed to work with the radiator support, heater, exhaust etc and nothing other then the engine mounts have to be altered. Whereas if you install a 200 disco engine pipes and what nots have to be altered.

The last truck I did we installed UK made under bonnet liners (glued to the underside of the bonnet) and took a 300 insulator pad and installed that on the valave cover and it made a huge difference. I am not a fan of the blankets that are available from the UK, but the glue on under bonnet sound barriers are sweet.

From my knowledge of a 300, which is limited, the 300 discovery setup will work, there is some sort of aftermarket adapter that will allow for a drop in as far as the exhaust is concerned. I don't have enough knowledge to comment on the radiator / intercooler and other various pipes.

I think but don't quote me that the heater pipe location on a disco vs Defender is different as are the intake pipes. One would need the corretc intercooler and radiator for a disco I would think.
Old September 15th, 2006, 12:28 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by safarirover
No problem JP, I secretly hoped that you had a better option for 200 TDI Defender installations. I just order a 300 with Auto for my Discovery, can't waite to see how that goes installation wise. Not the same as a defender installation, but hopefully not that different than a 200 Defender installation.

We shall see, have my work cut out for me.

If you like you can send me the wiring harness and I will make the necessary corrections. For a fee or balance on account of course.

You know how I start a disco conversion? By removing the heater blower motor. At least on the 14CUX ecu engines. The GEMS go easier this way as well. Then pull your engine harness out to the engine bay for engine extraction.

Theres your giveaway advice for the grief I gave you this AM.

JP

See how low the turbo is on the disco 200 tdi. Imagine snaking a hose to the air cleaner of a defender from it. Sad really because the header pipe looks like it breathes well to the turbo. The heat prolly makes more efficient velocity on that header.

Old September 15th, 2006, 07:23 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I beleive the Disco and Defender 300's are identical, as far as the motor goes (visible inspection side by each on the shop floor).

Possible differences are that the Disco may have an imoblizer unit attached to the injection pump (easily removed), and possibly some EGR junk that also goes readily in the bin.

The radiator and intercooler (stock) are the same, but the frame and rad shroud differ somewhat but are easily modified with out looking so.

To run the disco motor (300) in a defender (looking factory) you'd need the defender airbox with bracket and turbo to airbox hose, and some minor mods to the wiring,)(tossing the EGR and imobilizer wires)

other tdi stuff......

wouldn't recomend running anypart of the V8 exhaust system (too restrictive, high exhaust gas temp)

300Tdi dico's with an autobox are the slowest most frustrating things on the planet to drive (you'll wish you went 5 speed...personal opinion)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old September 15th, 2006, 09:01 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
300Tdi dico's with an autobox are the slowest most frustrating things on the planet to drive (you'll wish you went 2.8...personal opinion)

Fixed it for you Matt.
Old September 15th, 2006, 12:15 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I agree 300 tdi disco and defender are for the most part the same.

Other then the blood type and sweat scent left from the installer.

JP

Old September 16th, 2006, 07:31 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Ohhhh thats right .....I could have had a 2.8 mate

....definately have been bleeding on every job, but Englishmen don't sweat, they perspire...and furthermore....I don't perspire (dunno who I'm quoting ?)

Stephen , I have forwarded this listing to a couple of my customers. One of them may contact you directly as he is down in your neck of the woods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old September 16th, 2006, 01:18 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Ohhhh thats right .....I could have had a 2.8 mate

....definately have been bleeding on every job, but Englishmen don't sweat, they perspire...and furthermore....I don't perspire (dunno who I'm quoting ?)

Stephen , I have forwarded this listing to a couple of my customers. One of them may contact you directly as he is down in your neck of the woods.
We sweat in KS. But the livestock sweat more.

JP

Old September 16th, 2006, 10:08 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Quote:
(Winchesters) don't sweat, they perspire...and furthermore....I don't perspire (dunno who I'm quoting ?)

Charles Emerson Winchester III (MASH)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
fs, tdi