Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old November 24th, 2006, 10:31 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Black Friday Special - Stainless steel door panels

A couple months ago I was selling some seats out of my defender. Other members saw my "one off" door panels in the pics and inquired if could make additional sets.

I found a local metal fabrications business who did not mind working with small custom orders. So I designed a template and dropped the coin to have the cutting, shearing and hole punching for 5 sets of door panels. They did a good job. I do the grunt work and metal bending in my own shop. The first set was used to dial in the bend radiuses and confirm production quality - one set has been sold and installed - the remaining 3 sets have been tentatively sold.

Since the door panel production is a proven process and patented design I wanted to offer to put together a group buy for those who are interested in replacing their plastic door panels. The minimum number to initiate an order at the fab shop is five sets.

The panels are 18 gage stainless steel and are offered in three finishes - gunmetal gray $300 a pair (very smooth and glossy finish), satin $320 a pair (Subdued and easy to maintain with only minor reflection), and repeated swirl $325 a pair (bling). The two panels have a combined weight of 20 lbs.

The same panels fit Series rovers as well (with only a minor location change in one of the notches). So pass on the info to any of your Series buds.

The only issue with attaching them to the door frame is the fact that the location for factory holes are not uniform across all defenders. So I cannot drill the mounting holes in the panels ahead of time - I can guarantee that they will not match your doors. What has occured is the jig they used at the factory to drill the door panel holes was sloppy or (sloppily used) and the variations in hole locations I have seen is 1/8" to 1/4" off even from left to right doors on the same truck.

With a little patience and the correct process you can mark and drill the holes in the panels with no problems - both panels can be installed in under two hours. I will provide a detailed set of instructions to get you through the process.

To see additional images of these panels and other stainless steel defender specific items I am offering to D90 owners visit my website.

http://www.americandirtroads.com/prodcatalog.html

If you have any questions feel free to email me - you can contact JimC on the D90 board to get more info - he bought and installed a set on his truck already.

LenB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mountedgunmetal.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	7489   Click image for larger version

Name:	mountedsatinpanel.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	7490  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2006, 09:21 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Nice website
Old November 25th, 2006, 06:06 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

hey Len, i dont know if i can get the doors just yet. But i really like the air intake and gadget holder. how can we pay you for your cool products? do you take paypal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2006, 10:13 AM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

I would be interested in a pair of the speaker boxes, so let me know how I can order.
Old November 26th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Len I email you and never heard back from you.
Let me know when you get a chance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 26th, 2006, 05:58 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
payment process

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88
hey Len, i dont know if i can get the doors just yet. But i really like the air intake and gadget holder. how can we pay you for your cool products? do you take paypal?
Hi,

My original idea was to set up a paypal account associated a separate bank card account, but I am going to hold off until all of the logistics are worked out and I see the volume of orders I receive. For now, the old fashioned process will have to be used - a bank cashiers check or Postal Money order. When you have decided on what product you want let me know what Zip code you are in and I can calculate the shipping expense through FedEx ground.

If there are a lot of orders I will proceed as planned. (To maintian a separate account will require me to deposit $200 of dead money sitting in the bank).

I know it takes a little extra effort to get a check drawn - but the products are worth it!

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattarm
I would be interested in a pair of the speaker boxes, so let me know how I can order.
Hi,

Do you need front or rear boxes? They are priced the same - but are two different designs - front and rear. I can accept a bank cashiers check or Postal money oder for now - I may set up a paypal account if the volue of orders increase. When you decide what you want let me know your Zip code and I will determine shipping costs as well.

Thanks for your interest.

Len

Old November 27th, 2006, 07:31 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

I'm interested in the front speaker boxes.

call me at 781 640 2640
Thanks,
Ron
Old November 28th, 2006, 02:51 AM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

I like those SS designs. Some good ideas there. Gotta wait for the budget to recover first ...
Old November 28th, 2006, 07:00 PM
trislerjw
JT
97 D-90 ST

nice

Looks great Len, Any chance your producer can/will make these in 5-bar?
If not, interested sharing the plans? As a car audio nut I am interested to see how the speakers do up front. Any experience on the audio quality from the flat panels?
thnks
-J
Old November 28th, 2006, 08:55 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
5 bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by trislerjw
If not, interested sharing the plans? As a car audio nut I am interested to see how the speakers do up front. Any experience on the audio quality from the flat panels?
thnks
-J
I talked with fab shop briefly about buying some aluminum 5 bar for me awhile ago for a different project - I will call him tomorrow and see if he can get it. My pan box brake will not be able to bend it though so the whole job will have to be done at his shop -- it may be a little more expensive labor wise (I do the finish and bending work at 1/2 the market labor rate). My engineering design for the panel is patented so I really can't afford to just hand it it out the design - if you wanted to do some production work I could cut some limited licencing agreement - But it wouldn't necesarily be cheap.

I have been using the panels and speaker boxes for over a year on my truck--- sorry I am no real audio expert. I am still running the stock 5" speakers - I hard wired a charger and output cable for my iPod. But with the accoustic competition (wind and tire noise) I just get tunes.... I know when I crank up the base and volume both panels vibrate in relation to the output - so I guess I am moving 4 square feet of air on each side of my truck from 1/8" to 3/16" when I am playing Jimmy Hendrix! This ride is no range rover - in my range rover I could listen to music - It had a harmon kardon killer sound system - I am running a $100 Alpine through the Land Rover stock power amp.... sort of no frills deal - All I use is the Aux input mode on the alpine.

I guess I treat my CB with a little more respect than my radio.....

Old December 10th, 2006, 07:43 AM
vesparover
brian bertolini

5 bar door panels

Hi. I would also be interested in 5 bar door panels. Let me know the logistics.
Thanks
Brian Bertolini
Old December 10th, 2006, 08:12 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Len, let me know on shipping your stuff is great.
Old December 10th, 2006, 10:53 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

did you have to move anything to install the cobra 18? I think theirs somethin in the way on my NAS 97

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trislerjw

thnks
-J

I'd think you'd want to dynomat the doors if you bought those panels(which look nice). I've done that two my my doors and my polk DB component set sounds great
Old December 11th, 2006, 03:12 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
5 bar -

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesparover
Hi. I would also be interested in 5 bar door panels. Let me know the logistics.
Thanks
Brian Bertolini
The local supplier / fab guy I have used for part of the panel fabrication and also sheering and punching 5" holes on the speaker boxes is searching for a 5 bar aluminum sheets. I found some in a couple of LA locations - but he wanted to look through his own sources first --- probably a business relationship for his metal supply. When I hear something I will pass it on to the group.

Len

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by needsaD110
did you have to move anything to install the cobra 18? I think theirs somethin in the way on my NAS 97

Follow-up Post:

I'd think you'd want to dynomat the doors if you bought those panels(which look nice). I've done that two my my doors and my polk DB component set sounds great

Yes, on my '97 there is a small PC board tied into the ignition harness that is housed in the plastic gray box centered in the dash. I built a small aluminum box and placed the board inside it. The small thin box just sits in the tray to the right of the CB. I can take a pic of it for you if you want.

I am just finishing a "cardboard" model of a new dash board center box that will incorporate the function of my dash board multimount, hold a CB or other radio, the clock, emergency flasher switch and the cigarette lighter. I will make the dash center box big enough to place that PC board inside. Once the design is done I will make one out of aluminum to see how well it works. It will not be as pretty as the one offered by the Canadian company already discussed here on the board.

I made a prototype over a year ago - but was not happy with the results. That was before I came up with the idea of using part of my multi mount device design. Give me a little time and we will see how it turns out.

I also fabed out a complete dash instrument cluster---it housed the speedo- temp, fuel and tach instruments as well as the indicator light cluster. It looked like and fit into the same location as the factory instument clustor. I never used it --- it was way too heavy and would have pulled the four mounting screws out under the load of daily and offroad use. It was made of 14 and 16 gage stainless steel. l have been tempted to come up with a new one that would function the same but would not look factory - It would look alot like a something you would see in vintage U-2 cock pit . (Speedo in the middle - with other intruments on each side to balance the visual focus. (Your eyes could easily see everything at once without moving your puples to refocus). Again... this is one of my next projects.

Len

Old December 11th, 2006, 01:31 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

would your dash project involve cutting up any of the original dash?
Old December 11th, 2006, 04:01 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
no holes - no cutting on a '97

Quote:
Originally Posted by needsaD110
would your dash project involve cutting up any of the original dash?
The bottom of my unit uses the two holes that are used to attach the small panel that contains the emergency flasher switch, clock and lighter. The top section will incorporate the design I engineered for my dash board multi mount - you will have to remove the ashtray. visit my site to see the multimount device. It is held securely in place without drilling any holes... http://www.americandirtroads.com/catmultimount.html

For those with a sense of humor and still requiring an ashtray I will drill a hole in the side of the box that has a diameter slightly smaller than that of a filter on a cigarette. The user can just jam the filter side in hole when they need both hands to wheel the truck then open the window to draft the ashes outside the truck. (sort of an ashless ashtray).

The new gage/instrument cluster uses the same 4 hard attachment points used by the stock instrument cluster.

The new Items will likely be fabricated from hard thin aluminum - it is a less expensive material - which means that the final price will be less expensive -

len

Old December 20th, 2006, 10:10 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Len, sent my check looking forward to getting my speaker boxes.
Old December 20th, 2006, 11:26 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Ron,

Your boxes are complete, I uploaded a pic of them on my site. (http://www.americandirtroads.com/cat...eakerbox.html# )I got your check last night, but because it is personal out of state check it will take a few days to clear, but as soon as it does the boxes are on their way. The only holes you will have to drill will be for your aftermarket speaker mounting screws. Because you are mounting the boxes on diamond plate I will let you drill the holes in the box mounting flanges also ( If I drill them, the location may not be optimum (i.e. on top of a raised piece of the tread pattern). The box mounting flanges are aluminum and are easy drilling; drilling holes in the stainless steel boxes will be a little tougher - just use a fresh drill bit. Thanks again and I am sure you will enjoy the boxes.

Old December 23rd, 2006, 11:56 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Nice, now I have to locate the rubber sleeves that cover the wires.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
ac, door, panels