Bike Racks Thule and Yakima - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old October 8th, 2012, 08:38 PM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Offline
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,969
Bike Racks Thule and Yakima

On to my third bike rack so these two need to go.

Yakima Spare Tire Rack with the special plate made by JPayne. Rack comes with two keys and a cable lock. All in good condition. I had the plate powder coated. Say 225 plus shipping.

Thule 2 inch hitch rack. One of the rare thule racks that clears the spare without an issue. Say 125 plus shipping. Shipping will be a bitch though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3185.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	58759   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5273.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	58760  

__________________
Quote:
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old October 9th, 2012, 05:13 AM
galen216's Avatar
galen216
Status: Offline
Galen Lentz
'98 D1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 562
Registry
I have the Yakima Spare Time mounted to my Disco and love it. Why did you need a special plate? Mine fit fine.
__________________
'98 D1
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 9th, 2012, 10:44 AM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Offline
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,969
There is no bike rack that will fit the soft top tire carrier bolt pattern. Jeff made a universal plate that would it no matter if you mounted it to a soft top or a sw. There is a thread where Jeff was selling the plate.
__________________
Quote:
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old October 9th, 2012, 10:48 AM
galen216's Avatar
galen216
Status: Offline
Galen Lentz
'98 D1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 562
Registry
Mine fit the bolt pattern just fine.
__________________
'98 D1
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old October 9th, 2012, 10:48 AM
KKilo23's Avatar
KKilo23
Status: Offline
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Posts: 2,065
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
On to my third bike rack so these two need to go.

Yakima Spare Tire Rack with the special plate made by JPayne. Rack comes with two keys and a cable lock. All in good condition. I had the plate powder coated. Say 225 plus shipping.

Thule 2 inch hitch rack. One of the rare thule racks that clears the spare without an issue. Say 125 plus shipping. Shipping will be a bitch though.
What set up are you going with next?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old October 9th, 2012, 10:57 AM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Offline
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by galen216
Mine fit the bolt pattern just fine.
Do you have a soft top tire carrier?

I bought a Thule 916xtr trailer hitch rack. This is the type of rack where the bike sits in a tray on the wheels instead of hanging from the frame.

I have a 29er and the frame has a weird shape so I had to use a frame extender bar thing (will include also made by Yakima). With this set up it worked fine but the bike would hang from the stem and post. I just wanted something easier.
__________________
Quote:
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old October 9th, 2012, 11:00 AM
KKilo23's Avatar
KKilo23
Status: Offline
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Posts: 2,065
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Do you have a soft top tire carrier?

I bought a Thule 916xtr trailer hitch rack. This is the type of rack where the bike sits in a tray on the wheels instead of hanging from the frame.

I have a 29er and the frame has a weird shape so I had to use a frame extender bar thing (will include also made by Yakima). With this set up it worked fine but the bike would hang from the stem and post. I just wanted something easier.
How do you like the 29er?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old October 9th, 2012, 11:10 AM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Offline
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,969
Including this thing with the yakima rack
http://www.rei.com/product/670346/ya...p-tube-adapter

I love the 29er. Been riding the hell out of it.
__________________
Quote:
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old October 9th, 2012, 11:46 AM
KKilo23's Avatar
KKilo23
Status: Offline
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Posts: 2,065
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Including this thing with the yakima rack
http://www.rei.com/product/670346/ya...p-tube-adapter

I love the 29er. Been riding the hell out of it.
I was thinking of getting one.. just not sure I am into the 29" wheels yet.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old October 9th, 2012, 12:07 PM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Offline
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,969
I love it. I wouldn't mind trying a new 27.5 but for now the 29er is all I ride.

Nobody needs a rack?
__________________
Quote:
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old October 9th, 2012, 12:17 PM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
If it hasn't sold by then, pack the Yakima in your bag and bring it out here next time.
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old October 9th, 2012, 12:27 PM
jjstahl3's Avatar
jjstahl3
Status: Offline
Jay S
96 D1 TReK
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PORTLAND, OR, USA
Posts: 1,673
Registry
might be interested might need to see if the kids bikes small frames fit on those -
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old October 9th, 2012, 12:29 PM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Offline
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstahl3
might be interested might need to see if the kids bikes small frames fit on those -
Let me know. The Thule is more veritable because it will fit more bikes.
__________________
Quote:
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old October 9th, 2012, 12:56 PM
don's Avatar
don
Status: Online
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rumson, NJ
Posts: 4,272
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I love it. I wouldn't mind trying a new 27.5 but for now the 29er is all I ride.

Nobody needs a rack?
650b/27.5 seems like a great size and I have been keeping tabs on it since Kirk Pincenti (sp?) started getting tires made in that size some years ago. Maybe in a couple years I will build up a 650 mid travel FR/trail rig.

A ton of people in NJ have gone 29er over the past few years. And imo more than a few have done it just to taste the kool-aid so to say. 29 makes sense for the taller xc guys or experienced mid sized riders but when you are 5' and the head tube is about 3" long, TT is sub 21"and chainstays are almost 17", geo is going to be tough to toss around.

Any way, enough of the rant. The Yak spare tire rack is what I run, work great for 2 bikes and already has the proper mount (which is a TON better) for our rigs plus Barry is throwing in the stem to post holder so your top tube mounted cables don't get buggered. All the stuff is there - good deal.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old October 9th, 2012, 02:16 PM
JohnsD90's Avatar
JohnsD90
Status: Offline
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 2,282
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I love it. I wouldn't mind trying a new 27.5 but for now the 29er is all I ride.

Nobody needs a rack?
27.5 will just be a phase no one will want to switch again, im not even a fan of 29'ers, 26" wheels all the way, its just so much more versitile.

BTW what do you ride?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old October 9th, 2012, 03:29 PM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Offline
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
27.5 will just be a phase no one will want to switch again, im not even a fan of 29'ers, 26" wheels all the way, its just so much more versitile.

BTW what do you ride?
You couldn't be more wrong. The amount the big companies have invested in 27.5, it is here to stay. Everyone is afraid of missing the boat like some companies did with 29. In the next few years 27.5 will overtake 26 for trail riding. It give the advantage of big wheels but the speed and handling of 26 plus it is easier for smaller riders to really feel the advantages and get a bike that fits. More and more companies are ditching 26 or making less and less bikes in that size.

I don't see the point in full cross country bikes though or race hardtails but some people are making those too.

If I was going to buy one it would be this http://www.bikes.com/main+en+01_102+...ATID=22&Y=2013. Rocky is on top of trail riding and if they think it is good I can't argue with that.

As for what I ride I am currently on a 2012 Rocky Mountain Element 970 but I am planning on replacing it with a 2013 Rocky Mountain Element RSL (carbon). If anyone wants a good deal on my current bike I will be parting with it by the end of the year. I am 6'1 so maybe I really feel the advantages of a 29.

I am not against 26 by any means I just don't have a use for it with anything I ride. I climb better on the 29 and for the most part I decent faster. It could also be that I am on a very new suspension design and compared to my last 26 (turner).
__________________
Quote:
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old October 9th, 2012, 04:04 PM
JohnsD90's Avatar
JohnsD90
Status: Offline
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 2,282
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
You couldn't be more wrong. The amount the big companies have invested in 27.5, it is here to stay. Everyone is afraid of missing the boat like some companies did with 29. In the next few years 27.5 will overtake 26 for trail riding. It give the advantage of big wheels but the speed and handling of 26 plus it is easier for smaller riders to really feel the advantages and get a bike that fits. More and more companies are ditching 26 or making less and less bikes in that size.

I don't see the point in full cross country bikes though or race hardtails but some people are making those too.

If I was going to buy one it would be this http://www.bikes.com/main+en+01_102+...ATID=22&Y=2013. Rocky is on top of trail riding and if they think it is good I can't argue with that.

As for what I ride I am currently on a 2012 Rocky Mountain Element 970 but I am planning on replacing it with a 2013 Rocky Mountain Element RSL (carbon). If anyone wants a good deal on my current bike I will be parting with it by the end of the year. I am 6'1 so maybe I really feel the advantages of a 29.

I am not against 26 by any means I just don't have a use for it with anything I ride. I climb better on the 29 and for the most part I decent faster. It could also be that I am on a very new suspension design and compared to my last 26 (turner).
Racing, downhill, and Street riding will be always for 26'' though, and with that being said i cant see such a small difference between the 2 "normal" sizes catching on, just my thoughts, i feel someone will just buy a 29er if they want to go over stuff, and a 26er if they want to dick around, race, downhill or do normal trail riding. So there is no need for a 27.5". 29er's have always been awkward for me, but i am 5'10".

Anyway good luck with sale.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old October 10th, 2012, 03:20 PM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Offline
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,969
bump
__________________
Quote:
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old October 11th, 2012, 02:32 PM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Offline
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,969
No one needs bike rack? I need these gone.
__________________
Quote:
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old October 11th, 2012, 06:20 PM
don's Avatar
don
Status: Online
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rumson, NJ
Posts: 4,272
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
No one needs bike rack? I need these gone.
Hitch one should sell on craigslist pretty easily. Worse comes to worse, the Yakima could go on ebay or on mtbr, ridemonkey, or pinkbike.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
ac, rack, yakima

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thule or Yakima Box DaveG Wanted 2 December 12th, 2008 08:02 AM
Thule & Yakima Racks don For Sale - Parts 11 July 10th, 2008 10:37 AM
Yakima or Thule roof rack for a canoe fenwaystan Defender Technical Discussions 4 January 23rd, 2008 05:51 PM
Thule roof rack clearance on SW lactic Defender Technical Discussions 5 May 26th, 2006 08:23 AM
Ski Racks, Revisited chris snell Misc. Chit-Chat 17 March 10th, 2006 03:05 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 AM.


Copyright