Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old August 28th, 2010, 08:08 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Is this a 94 vs 95/97 thing? My truck was not prepped for a rear seat installation at all but Charles' was and he doesn't have any mounting holes in the sidewalls of the tub that would accommodate any type of bracket. I (like Charles) also believe the seat itself is slightly different...very interesting though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2010, 09:06 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf
Is this a 94 vs 95/97 thing?
Nope. Barry's is a 94 Arles Blue.
Old August 28th, 2010, 09:55 PM
jack SF
jack baran
95 ST yellow

the seat requires 2 brackets to hold it into the floor on the front. than 2 brackets are required in the back on the tub to prevent the seat from jumping up in a sudden stop. in the TECH ARTICLES section there are installation instructions and there are diagrams off the brackets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2010, 10:07 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
As jeff said my truck never had those rear brackets. But on closer observation my seat is setup to use them. Next time I'm on a computer I'll check out those brackets but it would be nice to see a picture of the seat in the locked position if anyone has one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3011909863.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	30509  
Old August 28th, 2010, 10:17 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Does anyone in the DC area have these brackets? I would like to take a look in person if possible. I will post a note on the NOVA HH thread as well
Old August 28th, 2010, 11:15 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Charles

Glad your seat has the pegs. I think my pics shows it in the locked position. Since the 94s didnt come with the seat I have seen some bad installs namely my truck. Who ever put my seat in put the bottom seat belt brackets on the inside of the truck and not the outside. The seat belt anchors go under the truck and the bolts come through, on my truck the anchors were inside the truck with a few bolts holding them in. Easy fix but made me wonder about some of the installs. Not surprised at all some trucks are missing brackets.
Old August 29th, 2010, 09:34 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Barry, thanks for the heads up on this bracket. I was curious about why the rear of the seat didn't have a locking/fastening mechanism. I will definitely seek this bracket out and add it to the list of pieces to be made as I plan to haul my 2 year old around in the back of the 90 when weather permits! If I can't find one locally I may bug you for more photos and dimensions.
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:15 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah I guess 4932832149 shows it locked down. I'm not convinced this is a critical feature though. Other than the seatbelts not holding the additional mass from the seat itself (which is on a pivot upward, so a small fraction of the full weight of the bench in most scenarios other than a rollover), those brackets don't do much for you on impact.

But dimensions would be good.
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:22 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Should we move this thread to the Technical Discussions to get more exposure and not muddy up the for sale section?
Old August 29th, 2010, 11:32 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Charles

I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to sit in that seat without the lock downs. Especially if I wasn't wearing my seat belt and I went over a bump. Think about the children!!!!
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:30 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I totally agree if you are not wearing your seat belt, all bets are off.

Do you want it moved Jeff? Free bumps otherwise.
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:37 PM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

The D90 belt I have are hard to use because they are shorter belts than the OEM D90 ones. You pretty much need to fully extend them to snap into the female end which often results in the belt locking up -- then I have to play with the belt for a minute or two to get it too release.

I had thought of having a local machine shop make a hanger for the top mount effectively "lengthening" the belt (which I think I have seen someone else post before). Is anything like this in your kit? If so, I would be interested in saving the time and putting in an order for a set of those. Thanks!
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:27 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
I totally agree if you are not wearing your seat belt, all bets are off.

Do you want it moved Jeff? Free bumps otherwise.
I'm planning to swing by Loic's house soon to check out the brackets so we can leave it here for now...hopefully I will have a more complete set of brackets soon!

------ Follow up post added August 30th, 2010 08:32 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlamar View Post
The D90 belt I have are hard to use because they are shorter belts than the OEM D90 ones. You pretty much need to fully extend them to snap into the female end which often results in the belt locking up -- then I have to play with the belt for a minute or two to get it too release.

I had thought of having a local machine shop make a hanger for the top mount effectively "lengthening" the belt (which I think I have seen someone else post before). Is anything like this in your kit? If so, I would be interested in saving the time and putting in an order for a set of those. Thanks!
I am running a set of Disco belts in the rear of my truck which have the same issue of being a little shorter. To compensate for this I made the mounting bracket for the retractor a little taller and also mounted the lower belt a little higher on the tub wall. I also made a plate for the Y belt that moved it's mounting location forward about 1 1/2". The combination of these mods made it so I could sit in the seat and buckle the belt...I am a good size boy (6' - 240lbs) so I figured that I would call it close enough and most folks who sit back there should fit without a problem!

Otherwise, I have seen others who added a 1-2" drop bracket at the upper mount which can easily be fabbed up.
Old August 30th, 2010, 12:15 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

I'm not sure how it's going to play out once installed, but I bought a rear seatbelt kit from JC Whitney. The female parts are 18" long, almost identical to OEM, and I believe the length of the belts is more than adequate. They were $75 for the pair. With OEM or Jeff's seat belts, it should work...Ill have more information in the coming weeks hopefully.

Also, Jeff, I want those machined parts!

Jerod
Old August 30th, 2010, 12:55 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Got your email Jerod, just been slammed and have to go back through to figure out what they actually cost! I'll get back to you later this week
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:01 PM
kenco
Ken D
94 / D-90 soft top - arles blue

count me in for a set...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
ac, bench, bracket, rack