Arb air locker defender 90 front - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old July 20th, 2010, 02:55 PM
ddrotts
Dane Drotts
1995/D90

Arb air locker defender 90 front

I have a a ARB AIR LOCKER that fits a 95 defender (front one) for sale, and really have no idea what to ask for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Its in great shape, it just my mechanic at Howard Orloff in Chicago recommended I remove it as the truck will only be driven in the city (3rd vehicle kind of thing...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
depends on the mileage, and condition, and whether you sell it already installed in the 3rd member or not. If you take it out you will need to replace it with something, I'm not sure your mechanic is giving you good advice as it is quite a bit of labor hour hours to disassemble the front end. That plus the cost of the replacement diff will probably be about what you get from the sale of the locker. As long as you keep it turned off it won't hurt anything, and will add to the resale value a little bit if you sell the truck. That said, it is unusual to find a truck with only a front ARB, and no locker at all in the rear. are you sure there is no locker of any kind in the rear axle?
Old July 20th, 2010, 03:22 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

3rd members and 3.54 gears are a dime a dozen anymore - those two items don't add much value. I'd say $700.00 either in the 3rd member or for just the locker, as long as you have the solenoid, switch, and wiring. If all you want to sell is the ARB carrier without the other bits, I'd say $600.00 is fair.

Maybe a little more if it's the newer RD128.

Let me know once you decide on a price, I may be interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
true though they may add a bit of enticement for someone who is too lazy/cheap to set one up...not that I know anybody like that.
Old July 20th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
$800 for a used installed ARB in the diff with 3.54s seems to be the going rate. I just sold one for that much and I believe another one went that that much recently on this board. Mine had new bearings too. You can get a new complete RD128 for $850. Just depends on how much time and effort you want to do to set it up (which really isn't hard).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old July 20th, 2010, 04:09 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Why would the mileage matter?

I agree with condition, but condition is not necessarily dependent on mileage.

It isnt worth it to sell IMHO. Its pretty much a regular diff until you lock it up. Then its an awesome diff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
depends on the mileage, and condition, and whether you sell it already installed in the 3rd member or not. If you take it out you will need to replace it with something, I'm not sure your mechanic is giving you good advice as it is quite a bit of labor hour hours to disassemble the front end. That plus the cost of the replacement diff will probably be about what you get from the sale of the locker. As long as you keep it turned off it won't hurt anything, and will add to the resale value a little bit if you sell the truck. That said, it is unusual to find a truck with only a front ARB, and no locker at all in the rear. are you sure there is no locker of any kind in the rear axle?
Old July 20th, 2010, 04:11 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaKevin View Post
Why would the mileage matter?

I agree with condition, but condition is not necessarily dependent on mileage.
for the same reason it matters when buying an engine or a car for that matter...
Old July 20th, 2010, 04:25 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Yea, if the engine was maintained properly- like the ARB- it should last forever. Fluid changes, properly checking the setup if there was a broken axle for metal pieces, etc.

arb for sale with 150k miles, works great. arb for sale with 50k, teeth chipped off. both 600. which would you buy?
Old July 20th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
geez kevin...you seem to be focusing on the mileage point. you are right, it is not like buying some things where mileage is a major issue. but it is a consideration, especially if it is being sold as part of a 3rd member that may have high mileage wear and tear. so "mileage and condition" I think stand as reasonable factors for consideration by a potential buyer or when trying to determine a decent asking price. from what I have heard the ARB diff is pretty tough, but there are potential issues with the o rings and air line. And maybe others that I don't know about. Personally, I only have owned two ARB diffs and they are both still installed in the 3rd members that they came in. One of them leaks a bit, assuming it is oil getting by the o-rings. I live with it. Anyway...everyone here is basically correct...so...what exactly do you have for sale? any photos?
Old July 20th, 2010, 06:07 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrotts View Post
I have a a ARB AIR LOCKER that fits a 95 defender (front one) for sale, and really have no idea what to ask for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Its in great shape, it just my mechanic at Howard Orloff in Chicago recommended I remove it as the truck will only be driven in the city (3rd vehicle kind of thing...)
$500-600 is the going rate.

------ Follow up post added July 20th, 2010 06:12 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
$800 for a used installed ARB in the diff with 3.54s seems to be the going rate. I just sold one for that much and I believe another one went that that much recently on this board. Mine had new bearings too. You can get a new complete RD128 for $850. Just depends on how much time and effort you want to do to set it up (which really isn't hard).
I've seen them new as low as $780... if you are handy, installation is no that bad. Ask MonLand about it...
Old July 20th, 2010, 07:25 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Dane,

Leave it in the truck... Even if you removed it and found a good, used, cheap diff, you will still have to pay your mechanic, then store it while you sell it, or you may have to ship it. By the time all that happens, you may only have come out ahead a few $. Unless you did the swap yourself, then you would still be out several hours and you might as well grease the bearings and etc...

Sounds like you are just making work for you or someone else. Keep it, and disable the controls if you think they may get turned on accidentally.

Old July 21st, 2010, 06:59 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Dane,

Leave it in the truck... Even if you removed it and found a good, used, cheap diff, you will still have to pay your mechanic, then store it while you sell it, or you may have to ship it. By the time all that happens, you may only have come out ahead a few $. Unless you did the swap yourself, then you would still be out several hours and you might as well grease the bearings and etc...

Sounds like you are just making work for you or someone else. Keep it, and disable the controls if you think they may get turned on accidentally.
I agree. Unless it's damage, you should keep it.

You might need it in the winter...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
90, defender 90