Views:	395
Size:	908.8 KB
ID:	45666  
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2012, 08:55 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an oil catch can? Is it designed for a specific vehicle (ie 200tdi,etc.)?
Old January 7th, 2012, 10:57 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
A oil mist will often be sprayed out of the breather valve due to the inherit crankcase pressure in an engine. All engines have crank case pressure to some degree. It is more profound with forced induction engines. Usually this air and oil mist is sent back through the air intake after the air filter and burned for emissions purposes. The genius engineers at lr decided to route ours before the air filter, so any oil mist will foul up the filter. This cathc can will seperate the oil from the air and keep It out of the intake and out of the filter. I put one in my truck ( its actually a moroso racing unit from a mustang) and it works great. I manually empty it every so often. In 3k miles ive captured a couple oz. Not that big of a deal if it was to be burned through the combustion cycle but certainly enough to make a mess of an air filter if i didnt have it. Its a good idea to have i think. The other option is to just disconnect the breather hose from the intake but then you may drip oil in the engine bay or on the ground.

Edit: they can be used with any engine, some are engine specific but usually only vary in the mountIng hardware provided. This is just the catch can itself so you would need to find a way to mount it, or just let it hang inline with the breather hose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2012, 07:38 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
The genius engineers at lr decided to route ours before the air filter, so any oil mist will foul up the filter.
I'm a little froggy this morning.....could you enlighten me as to on which land rover the "genius's" routed the crankcase breather "before the air filter"?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old January 8th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11

I'm a little froggy this morning.....could you enlighten me as to on which land rover the "genius's" routed the crankcase breather "before the air filter"?
Maybe the ones at "Berkshire Land Rover"...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old January 8th, 2012, 11:18 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
2.5NA and 2.5TD (at least the ones I've seen and the one I own) have a hose from the breather valve back to the intake tube, but where it connects to the intake tube is BEFORE the air filter canister.

Heres a pic of my set up. All i did was intercept the hose that went directly from the breather valve to the intake tube (pre filter), and put a catch can in line of that.

You can see the braided hose was the one that cae with the truck, and went directly to the breather valve originally. I re-used it for the second half of the set up, but had to get another, longer newer hose from the catch can to the breather valve.

Maybe mine is the exception not the norm??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0629.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	45801  
Old January 8th, 2012, 09:18 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
This would be used to replace the original oil breather unit that attaches on the side of the engine. Anyhow feel free to call Allen Allard and ask him. I have $100 dollar bucks in it and no vehicle for it.
Old January 9th, 2012, 07:37 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
2.5NA and 2.5TD (at least the ones I've seen and the one I own) have a hose from the breather valve back to the intake tube, but where it connects to the intake tube is BEFORE the air filter canister.
I stand corrected, and it is shown as so in the parts books. My 2.5na's have the breather hose after the filter but this may not be original. The last 2.5td I had in here had a breather with 2 hoses, one of which was blocked off and the other went to the return tube from the cyclone. The blocked off one must have originally gone to the intake.

Nice deal on this Allard catch can. Someone should snap that up.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old January 9th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Some of the older Dodge trucks with the Cummings use this type of thing. The MB engine in the Cherokee for two years, same as in the E class, had a problem of the oil blow by making it to the turbo. The fix was to use one of these catch systems. It is a pretty common idea. on a side note on the 300 tdi this hose is right before the turbo but after the filter.
Old January 9th, 2012, 09:44 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
There's already one fitted on the 2.5 N/A, 2.5 TD, 200tdi and 300tdi.. The original one not only catches the oil before it goes to the air filter assembly (or turbo on 200 & 300tdi) but, route it back to the sump.. If your engine breathes excessively you might get oil on your filter or directly to the turbo. Having a second oil separator (or cyclone as Land-Rover calls it) might help but not cure the problem.. A tired diesel engine will eventually pressure oil enough to make the engine runs on it... then bang! or Kapout for or German friends...I know a bloke who routed the line to the frame instead of filter/turbo, that way the oil pushed in the line gave it a free anti-rust. Kinda Greenpeace act !
Old January 16th, 2012, 09:51 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Bump

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts