all new td5 diesel parting - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 19th, 2005, 08:04 AM
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel
Why can't it be registered? If it has cleared customs, isn't it all good? I was reading about registering a vehicle in NY as I had to register my 90 in NY yesterday. I looked up the section about registering a vehicle imported from another country. It simply read,
To register an imported vehicle in NYS:
The vehicle must first clear the US Customs Service.
The vehicle must comply with NYS safety and emissions standards.
You must provide US Customs Service documents and proof of ownership documents to the NYSDMV.
Diesel's are exempt in NY and Califonia from emmissions/smog testing

Old January 19th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)
Originally Posted by sheki
The vehicle must comply with NYS safety and emissions standards.
No airbag or side curtains.

At least that's the way I understand it.

"Pump one is on for the black Jeep"
"It's not a Jeep"
Old January 19th, 2005, 09:44 AM
TD5 90 SW
Sheki is absolutely correct. It can be titled and registered with the foreign vehicle paperwork and customs clearance forms. The airbags and such are different issues...those are federalizing requirements, but not state titling requirements. Now some states do require addittional paperwork, but if you're buying it already titled, then it's a non issue.

Therefore to be on the road with out any worry at all, you would need to get the whole shabang, but not just to be on the road.

Hey, bottom line....don't snap at the guy for offering the truck...he's been straightforward and open.
Old January 20th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Jeff scott
Thanks Diesel.....the original idea here was to offer it to someone who would like to take the complete vehicle and basically build it back up on another chassis as a wagon, soft top, whatever they wish. I can't get into titling/registration scenarios in all 50 states because I obviously can not possibly know this. As sheki pointed out, some states exempt diesels from emmissions (the Td5 has extremely low emissions in any case), others may not. It would seem likely that most states would just transfer an existing title into that state, however others may have slightly different procedures. The title is for proof of ownership in any event, whatever someone chooses to do with this truck.

Old January 20th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Re-Fendered 90
How much for the TD5. Seriously, I am interested.
2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 21st, 2005, 01:04 AM
Jeff scott

As I mentioned earlier in the posts, I would prefer for now for someone to take the truck complete. Reason being is that it would be alot of work to start taking it apart and then ship the parts people want on a piece by piece basis. Send me a PM with an offer, and I'll let you know if I decide to part it out soon.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

diesel, part, td5