Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old October 3rd, 2008, 01:30 PM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
9000lb used warn winch for sale.

guys it was working perfectly about 2 months ago when i replaced it with a different model.

i have the wiring box but no power plug in or control. easily obtainable for cheap on ebay or here.

looking for $500.00 obo. paypal accepted.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1209.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	15587  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2008, 11:23 AM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
taking offers
Old October 5th, 2008, 04:21 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
PM'd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
MR GALPIN this has your name all over it.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 6th, 2008, 08:31 AM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
Charles......it Works And It's In Very Good Condition.

If You Were A Bit Closer I Would Even Install It For You.

John(phoenix37) You Have A Reply To Your Pm.

Thanks Guys
Old October 6th, 2008, 10:24 AM
cabell
Cabell Crowther

Which model is it and shipping to 24504?
Old October 6th, 2008, 10:40 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I saw this a few days ago, but besides it being a bad time to be spending money on toys, I kind of got scared away by the no-controller bit. Shipping can't be cheap either. I'll noodle it over and PM you if I change my mind.

Thanks,
charles
Old October 6th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
controllers are a simple two way toggle switch and go for around $25. had no idea my brother would be interested. one of you two buy this sucker.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old October 6th, 2008, 10:51 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
How big of a difference between a 8K and 9K on a D90? Looks like 8Ks are pretty affordable new now.
Old October 6th, 2008, 12:43 PM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
Cambell, Model Is Warn Xd 9000. $25.00 Shipping.
Old October 10th, 2008, 08:54 AM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
Still Available 450.00 Shipping Included.
Old October 10th, 2008, 01:30 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
How big of a difference between a 8K and 9K on a D90? Looks like 8Ks are pretty affordable new now.
According to Quadratec (http://www.quadratec.com/advisor/jeep_winch/): "We recommend selecting a winch that's at least 50% greater than your Gross Vehicle Weight. That's 1.5 times the GVW. Please note that recovery of heavier vehicles would require more line capacity. "

According to ParkCity (http://www.parkcity4x4classics.com/spec_rover.html), the empty weight of your stock convertible D90 is 3913 lbs.

Now, that's something I did not check, but, how much more does your vehicule weights when loaded with all the goodies, full tank of gas (oh wait, tank is so small.... ;-) ), driver/passengers, bigger tires, etc?

Let's guess that we add 1000 lbs of "stuff": ~5000 lbs x 1.5 = 7500 lbs.

I think a 8K winch will be enough (plus you will likely snatch block it anyway). Now for piece of mind, you might want to go with a 9K winch. It's actually better to have a reliable and strong 8K winch than a cheapo 9K winch that could give up on you when you don't want it to happen.

I personally have a 9K winch, but that's because this is what the group-buy folks had selected and the price was really right.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old October 10th, 2008, 03:29 PM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
Thanks For The Kick In The Nuts Loic. My Xd9000 Warn Winch Is Not A "cheapo" Just An Affordable Alternative To Buying A New One.
Old October 10th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Loic since we are talking about self-recovery then I doubt he will use a snatch block in a way that reduces the load on the winch. Remember that a fixed pulley at the anchor end with a line returning back to the car only changes the direction of pull. It does allow you to get more calbe off the drum which allows the winch to pull closer to the rrated total capacity. With multiple wraps on the drum you will stall the motor before you reach the winch's rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand

I think a 8K winch will be enough (plus you will likely snatch block it anyway).
Old October 10th, 2008, 03:48 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainviewrover
Thanks For The Kick In The Nuts Loic. My Xd9000 Warn Winch Is Not A "cheapo" Just An Affordable Alternative To Buying A New One.
Oups.... This wasn't meant to be! I thought you were selling a Warn 8000...... My bad, I don't have "Warn" in my list of "cheapo winch manufacturer" list.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
Loic since we are talking about self-recovery then I doubt he will use a snatch block in a way that reduces the load on the winch. Remember that a fixed pulley at the anchor end with a line returning back to the car only changes the direction of pull.
Not sure if I got you correctly. And this is an important topic, I'll try to not highjack the thread but still try to learn something!

If the line comes back to the vehicule and using one snatch-block (vehicule - snatch block + strap + tree - same vehicule), we halve the force (well... half the force, but we save less than half the amps according to Bill Burke) that the winch has to apply to make the vehicule move (and also halves the vehicule speed moving forward), right?

Only if the snatch-block is used to change the direction pull (vehicule - snatch-block attached to strap+tree - end of line attached to other tree) the winch still has to work as hard as a direct pull.
Quote:
It does allow you to get more calbe off the drum which allows the winch to pull closer to the rrated total capacity. With multiple wraps on the drum you will stall the motor before you reach the winch's rating.
I agree with all that.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old October 10th, 2008, 04:41 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I don't think Loic meant to slight you or this this thread Mark. But he does have some valid points. A new Warn 8k is under $600 shipped so for less than $150 more after you get everything this one needs, you can have a brand new and reliable (but lower powered) winch. But then again the issue of now much power do you need - don't forget you very likely will want to help others, so in theory your winch needs to be big enough for the biggest vehicles you go wheeling with or near. Not sure what that is

Again, bad time for me so I'm not buying new or used, and if it wasn't a bad time, I'd still have to give it a long and hard thought due to the low price of a 8k new.

charles
Old October 11th, 2008, 10:22 AM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
Winch In Still Available.

This Winch New Is Over $1,000.00 Shipped.

Thanks Guys.
Old October 11th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Loic

The two scenarios you describe are identical in terms of loading and line speed. Only ff the snatch block is used to recover another vehicle (i.e. the mounting point moves) then you halve the load and line speed. In that case each portion of the line bears half the load and the pulley bears the full amount of the load.

If the mounting point for the pulley is stationary ie. a tree, all you are doing is changing the direction of the pull and getting a bit more cable off the drum. In that case it may appear that you have eased the load on the winch as it is less likely to stall with more cable off the drum. In this case each length of line on such a pull bears the full load of the pull, and the snatch block and its mounting point bears double the load.

Also in the latter situation, if you are changing the direction of pull off of a tree or somesuch so that th cable forms a vee, then the load on the pulley mounting point is even more than doubled. To illustrate this effect, hang a weight on a string and hold each end of the string. let the weight hang down so the strings are vertical. now move your hands further apart and you will see that the shallower the angle, the harder it is to hold the string between your fingers.

So to not be a total hijack, the 9000lb winch Mark is selling at a VERY reasonable cost, is a MUCH better winch for slef recovery on a truck that could easily weigh in @ 4000lbs in trail trim. Any difficult self recovery situation where the vehicle is mired up to the sills or a long steep uphill pull could easily overwork a smaller winch.

Somebody buy this already. I would but I am up to my neck in winches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand
If the line comes back to the vehicule and using one snatch-block (vehicule - snatch block + strap + tree - same vehicule), we halve the force (well... half the force, but we save less than half the amps according to Bill Burke) that the winch has to apply to make the vehicule move (and also halves the vehicule speed moving forward), right?

Only if the snatch-block is used to change the direction pull (vehicule - snatch-block attached to strap+tree - end of line attached to other tree) the winch still has to work as hard as a direct pull.

I agree with all that.
Old October 11th, 2008, 08:06 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I have an extra winch controller, that I could sell or trade. Mark, I just checked and it looked like I forgot to reply to your PM a while back, about it.

Old October 11th, 2008, 08:12 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
370 shipped to 27886

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
90, winch