Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old October 11th, 2008, 08:33 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Haha. Ok, ok, ok. Would it be wrong to offer 375 to 20152 now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2008, 09:07 AM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
not a problem scott. sale pending for 400.
Old October 13th, 2008, 02:20 PM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
he hasn't got back to me yet.

let's assume the winch is still avail.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2008, 08:33 AM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
sold
Old December 26th, 2008, 02:07 PM
dnp
David
1995 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
Loic

The two scenarios you describe are identical in terms of loading and line speed. Only ff the snatch block is used to recover another vehicle (i.e. the mounting point moves) then you halve the load and line speed. In that case each portion of the line bears half the load and the pulley bears the full amount of the load.

If the mounting point for the pulley is stationary ie. a tree, all you are doing is changing the direction of the pull and getting a bit more cable off the drum. In that case it may appear that you have eased the load on the winch as it is less likely to stall with more cable off the drum. In this case each length of line on such a pull bears the full load of the pull, and the snatch block and its mounting point bears double the load...............
This is an older thread that I just ran across, but in reading this response, I believe your thinking on this is wrong. What you're saying is that, if your truck is stationary (the "pulling point"), and if you run your winch cable out to a pulley attached to a moveable object (the "pulled point"), then back to your truck, you gain a mechanical advantage due to the ability to move that object being pulled. Well, if my understanding of mechanical advantages is clear, just reverse your thinking and the mechanical advantage is still there. The only difference is that you're trying to move the Pulling Point not the Pulled Point........this has been my understanding of snatch block operation since I've been 4 wheeling, and my experience bears out this understanding. Try winching (under heavy load) to a fixed point. Then, insert a snatch block at the fixed point, and see how much less your winch must work, albeit half as fast. Otherwise, for recovery purposes, snatch blocks would never be sold singularly, but only in pairs. If they were sold alone, using your logic, they could only be beneficial for angular winching.............anyone out there disagree with me on this?
Old December 26th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
you are correct. what I meant to say is that there is no mechanical advantage if you are just using the pulley to change directions.

the "test" for wether you have acheived mechanical advantage is to look at the rigging and see how far the load will move for each foot of cable that is taken up on the pulling end.

in the self recovery situation you describe, the vehicle will move 6" for every foot of cable taken up, so you have a mechanical advantage of 50%.

thanks for clarifying the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnp
anyone out there disagree with me on this?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
90, winch