Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:15 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Doh!

I neglected to subscribe to this thread after my last post in Nov. Thanks for all the good info Mark!

I ended up with a M&D Engineering VNT kit that I am currently preparing for installation. I have a question for those of you who already installed this particular kit on a 300tdi.

How much clearance, if any, is there above the new manifold after installation? Are there any hoses or anything else interfering above it?

Before I tap a hole for my EGT sender I want to make sure that there is nothing to interfere with the sender as it sticks out about 1 1/2". Once the hole is drilled its hard to change it. I may assemble all the parts before installation just to check this but if someone has already installed it, photos would be helpful!

I'm tapping it then planning on taking the manifold, exhaust and possibly also the turbo in to get a ceramic coating on them.

How hard is it to disassemble the turbo? I would like to coat the cast iron part of the turbo to prevent rust. Any thoughts on this?
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:25 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
I did check the oil a couple of hours ago,
by memory you shouldn't have any issue...

One thing tho, I'd suggest you to bin the very short intermediate hose in the kit. Unless something changed, get a longer one, otherwise you might have troubles in prefctly aligning the hoses all the way down to the turbo inlet.
This in the end created tension in my setup, and the hose on the turbo wanted to slip off. Very annoying.

I hope it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Doh!

I neglected to subscribe to this thread after my last post in Nov. Thanks for all the good info Mark!

I ended up with a M&D Engineering VNT kit that I am currently preparing for installation. I have a question for those of you who already installed this particular kit on a 300tdi.

How much clearance, if any, is there above the new manifold after installation? Are there any hoses or anything else interfering above it?

Before I tap a hole for my EGT sender I want to make sure that there is nothing to interfere with the sender as it sticks out about 1 1/2". Once the hole is drilled its hard to change it. I may assemble all the parts before installation just to check this but if someone has already installed it, photos would be helpful!

I'm tapping it then planning on taking the manifold, exhaust and possibly also the turbo in to get a ceramic coating on them.

How hard is it to disassemble the turbo? I would like to coat the cast iron part of the turbo to prevent rust. Any thoughts on this?
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Old January 6th, 2013, 12:11 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I have found some pictures online of a 300tdi with a M&D VNT Kit and it appears that the inlet manifold sits on top of the exhaust manifold and is additionally covered by a hose as seen in the second picture. Has anyone with this specific kit installed also installed an EGT sender? I would really like to know how much clearance there is before I drill a hole in my exhaust manifold. I'm afraid i won't really find out until I tear it all apart but I was hoping someone could just peek under the hood and tell me how much clearance there is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	i4_G22_006.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	63914   Click image for larger version

Name:	i4_G22_007.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	63915  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2013, 12:11 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube II View Post
I did check the oil a couple of hours ago,
by memory you shouldn't have any issue...

One thing tho, I'd suggest you to bin the very short intermediate hose in the kit. Unless something changed, get a longer one, otherwise you might have troubles in prefctly aligning the hoses all the way down to the turbo inlet.
This in the end created tension in my setup, and the hose on the turbo wanted to slip off. Very annoying.

I hope it makes sense.
Old January 6th, 2013, 04:58 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Quote:
I have found some pictures online of a 300tdi with a M&D VNT Kit and it appears that the inlet manifold sits on top of the exhaust manifold and is additionally covered by a hose as seen in the second picture.
The short hose in the 2nd photo is the one I warned you about.

Quote:
Has anyone with this specific kit installed also installed an EGT sender? (...) but I was hoping someone could just peek under the hood and tell me how much clearance there is.
I did and I think I posted a pic of my setup in this thread (I might be wrong tho), but my EGT sender is on the downpipe right after the VNT, so not useful to you.

I'll pop the bonnet of the Cube this morning and take a pic of the exaust manifold area for you...hold on...
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old January 6th, 2013, 05:23 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Here're a few pics...there's no much room to play with the camera.
I hope it's enough for you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5299.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	63920   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5300.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	63921  

Name:	IMG_5301.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	63922   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5302.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	63923  

Name:	IMG_5303.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	63924   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5304.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	63925  

+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old January 6th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks Michele!

Looks like there is some room but not a lot. Is that the main reason you chose to place the EGT on the exhaust down pipe? After seeing your photos I'll definitely do it the hard way. Disassemble, test fit, remove to drill a hole, ceramic coat then refit.

Thanks!
Old January 6th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Erm, not really, the reason was I simply got my EGT kit after the VNT went in
so the easiest/quickest way was to pull the downpipe...installation of the VNT costed me a lot (and I was there helping the mechanic out), and I had no more money to spend on labour.

In a perfect world I would've probably choosen the manifold, but in such a world I'd have a spare car, a fat wallet, and a nice workshop to work in without rush
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old January 25th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'm planning on removing the old turbo this weekend. I have never done something like this before. Anything specific to keep in mind? Do I need to drain the oil in order to do this?
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

After a lot of investigating your choice of location looks a lot more appealing. The local hot rod machine shop I consulted weren't too excited about drilling into the manifold because it is too thin. They had a bunch of other great (but costly) ideas, like creating a thick spacer between the manifold and turbo and drilling the sender into that. Wanting to do it right I'm almost tempted to recast the manifold with a bumped out location specifically made for the EGT sender. I've done some cast iron work before and it's fairly cheap. I'm surprised whoever made the manifold hasn't thought of that already.

I wonder how many degrees lower the temperature would be post turbo, the way you have it? Seems like if its negligible, that is a "safer" location for the sender. Once I exhaust (no pun intended) my options I may end up doing just what you did and weld the bung to the exhaust down pipe.

Quote:
Erm, not really, the reason was I simply got my EGT kit after the VNT went in
so the easiest/quickest way was to pull the downpipe...installation of the VNT costed me a lot (and I was there helping the mechanic out), and I had no more money to spend on labour.

In a perfect world I would've probably choosen the manifold, but in such a world I'd have a spare car, a fat wallet, and a nice workshop to work in without rush
Old February 9th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The temperature drop across the turbo is due to the pressure loss and is variable. Post turbo readings are not very useful.

I thought the manifolds are the genuine 2.8 ones.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 9th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Quote:
After a lot of investigating your choice of location looks a lot more appealing. The local hot rod machine shop I consulted weren't too excited about drilling into the manifold (...)
I wonder how many degrees lower the temperature would be post turbo, the way you have it?
As I said, I did what I did because it was the best option for me at time.
Otherwise, again, in a perfect world, bla bla bla, but my world isn't perfect at all

Can't say what the difference is between the two setups.
I take mine as "general indication", and drive with common sense, keeping in mind - accordingly to John said above and general consensus - the temp pre-turbo is higher.
How much higher, I don't know.
There were some % values I think, posted in this forum or another, but I guess there was no real calculation behind them.

Some of the big brains could easily do maybe so I could slap a big Post-It on the dash as memorandum...

Good luck with the install! Following your progress from IT.

P.S.
Manifold (mine at least) is genuine PS part.
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old February 9th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Damn. I was hoping you wouldn't say that.

Yes, I believe it is the the genuine 2.8 manifold. I have the same one pictured in post # 83. The machinist I talked to thought the manifold was to thin for the VDO sender which is gigantic and advised against it. If VDO or someone else made a smaller sender that would be better they said. I know Mark and others have drilled in the manifold so I guess it would be ok but if it cracks when it heats up its more expensive to replace (especially after having it ceramic coated). Also there is only about one location that works for the sender as there is a lot of hoses, intake manifold etc that will be interfering once installed. No ideal solution in sight it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The temperature drop across the turbo is due to the pressure loss and is variable. Post turbo readings are not very useful.

I thought the manifolds are the genuine 2.8 ones.
Old February 9th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
How thick is the manifold? I tapped my 200TDI stock manifold and installed a 1/8"NPT stainless compression fitting. It was not very thick. It has been many years with no problems.

Personally I would not (and do not) use a VDO gauge. IMO, for EGT you want digital with maximum memory. That with a normal thermocouple and you are good to go. Auberins does nice gauges that are very nicely priced.

Old February 9th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
I wouldn't worry too much and just get it done.
Whatever the option.

I'm no racer, just the average wheeler, as I suppose you are.

P.S.
I got the Auberins EGT gauge (as you may know).
It works, and it's not expensive.
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old February 9th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

The manifold is about 10MM/0.43" in the area where I plan to install the sender. You're right John. The 1/8" NPT should be fine but the kit comes with the 1/4" NPT fitting. Luckily you can get the 1/4" NPT fitting separately at egauges. The machinist also suggested going to a 1/8" NPT fitting since the thread would be smaller and create a more secure fit in such a thin area. He advised against using 1/4" NPT.

The Auber Pyrometer looks pretty trick. I'm tempted except the odd shape will mess with my dash layout. I was planning on installing a MUD UK dash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
How thick is the manifold? I tapped my 200TDI stock manifold and installed a 1/8"NPT stainless compression fitting. It was not very thick. It has been many years with no problems. Personally I would not (and do not) use a VDO gauge. IMO, for EGT you want digital with maximum memory. That with a normal thermocouple and you are good to go. Auberins does nice gauges that are very nicely priced.
Old February 9th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Unfortunately I suffer from the exhausting condition of having to do things properly.

Quote:
I wouldn't worry too much and just get it done.
Old February 9th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
The manifold is about 10MM/0.43" in the area where I plan to install the sender. You're right John. The 1/8" NPT should be fine but the kit comes with the 1/4" NPT fitting.
10 mm is tons of thickness. I can't understand why anyone would be worried about that.

Old February 9th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Either way I'm going to order the 1/8" fitting just to be sure. I'll probably end up ordering the Auber EGT meter + 1/8" Probe. At 24x48MM its actually quite small. I like the alarm feature as well. Thanks!
Old February 10th, 2013, 05:30 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Quote:
Unfortunately I suffer from the exhausting condition of having to do things properly.
That's serious illness!
I know it well.

But often it's not possible and I put up with it, otherwise I'd never get anything done

Curious to see what your Auber will say when running.
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
300 tdi, kit, tdi