300 tdi - $1200 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old December 14th, 2014, 06:36 PM
PresidentGod
Status: Offline
Jacob
'87 110CSW-sold; '88 110CSW-sold
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 29
300 tdi - $1200

Hi,

I have a Defender 300 TDI that I brought back from the UK (Wales) when I imported my 110s. The 110s are sold now and I have no need for the engine.

First $1200 takes it.

Low price for two reasons - local pickup only and it's not complete. The head is missing various parts and the turbo & exhaust manifold aren't there. The block and head are both in good shape and ready to be built. Head has valves and valve springs installed but rocker shaft/arms and injectors are missing. Comes with intake manifold, intercooler, injector pump, water pump, motor mounts, valve cover, etc. - see pictures.

There was a family emergency while I was in Britain which caused me to overlook these (now) obvious missing parts. I had only six days over there to get both rovers to the port and prepped for shipping while my wife was home and pregnant.

I trusted the guy that sold me my '88 110 to give me a complete disassembled engine that I could just reassemble and he screwed me. My loss is your gain.

I'm located in Western Colorado (Grand Junction). If you need me to store it for a while after you pay I can do that, but lets try to get a solid date for pickup. It's just sitting in the garage on my hoist with a pallet under it but my wife would like to park her car inside.

PM or email me at jacob.wilbert at gmail dot com

I'm also selling a full set (5) of Michelin XZL in 8.25R16 on NATO/Wolf wheels, but will be making another post for those.

Pics:








Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old December 14th, 2014, 07:41 PM
nathanwind's Avatar
nathanwind
Status: Offline
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Saratoga NY
Posts: 8,744
Registry
Screaming deal.
__________________
Jason Lavender
'71 Series IIA
'88 127 #F96 DKN
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old December 14th, 2014, 11:57 PM
Talleyrand's Avatar
Talleyrand
Status: Offline
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Queens, NYC, NY
Posts: 812
Registry
Very sweet deal indeed. I have a turbo and manifold to mate to this if someone buys this and needs them. Just PM me.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old December 15th, 2014, 01:19 AM
PresidentGod
Status: Offline
Jacob
'87 110CSW-sold; '88 110CSW-sold
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 29
Sold pending funds
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old December 15th, 2014, 01:28 AM
RBBailey
Status: Offline
RBBailey
1965 IIa
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Damascus, Oregon
Posts: 1,580
Registry
If you were closer..........
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old December 15th, 2014, 03:39 PM
mia4me's Avatar
mia4me
Status: Offline
JoDee Putnins
1997 Discovery
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Erie, CO
Posts: 5
Darn. Since you didn't reply to my email from last night, I'm guessing it wasn't me that scored it.
__________________
JJ's Toy Shop
Landy and Import Specialists
720-583-6714
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old December 15th, 2014, 07:19 PM
PresidentGod
Status: Offline
Jacob
'87 110CSW-sold; '88 110CSW-sold
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 29
Buyer fell through, still for sale!

Replying to messages after dinner, sorry for the delay.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old December 15th, 2014, 07:27 PM
gpete
Status: Offline
Gregory Peterson
2000/ D2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: North Miami Beach, Fl,
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentGod View Post
Buyer fell through, still for sale!

Replying to messages after dinner, sorry for the delay.
E mail sent.

------ Follow up post added December 15th, 2014 07:36 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talleyrand View Post
Very sweet deal indeed. I have a turbo and manifold to mate to this if someone buys this and needs them. Just PM me.
E mail sent.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old December 15th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Brigante's Avatar
Brigante
Status: Offline
Art V
D-90 1995
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 11
PM sent
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old December 15th, 2014, 09:04 PM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Online
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,841
Registry
The engine hoist brackets are held down by head bolts. Makes it appear someone has pulled this engine apart and then buttoned it back up quickly.

Given that, the missing belt, valve train, push rods, and front cover, and the head having been pulled and then screwed back down would make me guess the belt broke @ highway speed and the engine got zinged. Its advertised as a re-builder and that is what I would expect.
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old December 15th, 2014, 11:29 PM
PresidentGod
Status: Offline
Jacob
'87 110CSW-sold; '88 110CSW-sold
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
The engine hoist brackets are held down by head bolts. Makes it appear someone has pulled this engine apart and then buttoned it back up quickly.

Given that, the missing belt, valve train, push rods, and front cover, and the head having been pulled and then screwed back down would make me guess the belt broke @ highway speed and the engine got zinged. Its advertised as a re-builder and that is what I would expect.
Comments such as this are the reason I did not advertise either of my Defenders for sale on this forum. If politics dictates I don't say this because you are important on the forum (based on your post count), sorry, not sorry.

I'm also not sorry if I cut into someone's profit margins by basically giving an engine away. It's one engine. I don't import these things for fun, and obviously I'm not doing this for profit. I thought someone here could use a break and want it out of my garage. Win - win.

The engine was put back together quickly - by me - with no head gasket - so I could move it off my motorcycle lift and make room for my car.

As I stated in the ad I asked for it to be disassembled, and assumed it would be complete. I'll never assume with a Welshman again.

Pictures of the combustion chambers, deck, and piston tops will be added to the ad should the engine not be sold tonight. It's dirty but not "zinged".

Finally, the entire vavletrain is not missing. All the valves, springs, and seals are in place and fully closed. The pushrods are even there (look at the pics). The rocker arms and rocker shaft are missing, but these are not parts that would become damaged in a broken timing belt situation - if that was the case there would be bent valves or pushrods and evidence of contact between valve and piston. No such evidence exists.

I was a Harley-Davidson dealer mechanic for 4.5 years while attending college to teach science and hold Master certification through the motor company. I still build engines on the side for spending money. I may have been distraught enough to believe a person that lied to my face about putting the turbo and loose parts in a box but I was coherent enough to see that the valves weren't bent and the pistons weren't scarred.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old December 15th, 2014, 11:43 PM
Jackie Treehorn's Avatar
Jackie Treehorn
Status: Offline
A
1985 (legitimately)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,984
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentGod View Post
Comments such as this are the reason I did not advertise either of my Defenders for sale on this forum. If politics dictates I don't say this because you are important on the forum (based on your post count), sorry, not sorry.

I'm also not sorry if I cut into someone's profit margins by basically giving an engine away. It's one engine. I don't import these things for fun, and obviously I'm not doing this for profit. I thought someone here could use a break and want it out of my garage. Win - win.

The engine was put back together quickly - by me - with no head gasket - so I could move it off my motorcycle lift and make room for my car.

As I stated in the ad I asked for it to be disassembled, and assumed it would be complete. I'll never assume with a Welshman again.

Pictures of the combustion chambers, deck, and piston tops will be added to the ad should the engine not be sold tonight. It's dirty but not "zinged".

Finally, the entire vavletrain is not missing. All the valves, springs, and seals are in place and fully closed. The pushrods are even there (look at the pics). The rocker arms and rocker shaft are missing, but these are not parts that would become damaged in a broken timing belt situation - if that was the case there would be bent valves or pushrods and evidence of contact between valve and piston. No such evidence exists.

I was a Harley-Davidson dealer mechanic for 4.5 years while attending college to teach science and hold Master certification through the motor company. I still build engines on the side for spending money. I may have been distraught enough to believe a person that lied to my face about putting the turbo and loose parts in a box but I was coherent enough to see that the valves weren't bent and the pistons weren't scarred.
Hey now!
Take it down a notch Scotty!

I don't think anyone was trying to scuttle your sale. It's a good deal and somebody will buy it regardless. The IP alone is worth almost the ask price.
So, we all support you and thanks for offering it for sale here. I wish I lived closer.

I think what Doug was trying to suggest is that it needs a considerable amount of parts labor to get it to the point where it will run. Still a good deal for somebody looking to have a rebuilt long block ready to replace a tired 300Tdi, but it's not a $1,200 running 300 TDi.

GLWS
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old December 15th, 2014, 11:54 PM
Daddymow's Avatar
Daddymow
Status: Offline
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Stuart, FL / Boone, NC
Posts: 3,975
Registry
I dunno, I sold my D90 here a few years ago and had a very good experience. I was up front about it's condition and issues and supplied lots of pictures and got an informed and happy buyer with out the fleaBay circus. If you have nothing to hide this is an excellent market place filled with knowledgeable buyers. GLWTS.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old December 16th, 2014, 12:00 AM
PresidentGod
Status: Offline
Jacob
'87 110CSW-sold; '88 110CSW-sold
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Hey now!
Take it down a notch Scotty!

GLWS
My apologies.

I teach high school and deal with bullies on a daily basis, especially lately. Maybe my bully-radar is overactive right now, school's almost out for the semester and there's stuff going on.

That being said, I wanted to clarify some of the fallacies that were introduced and give a rationale for my basis of evaluation of the engine.

I am an advocate for using active voice when writing and making my intent clear. Please excuse me for coming on too strong!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old December 16th, 2014, 12:06 AM
Jackie Treehorn's Avatar
Jackie Treehorn
Status: Offline
A
1985 (legitimately)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,984
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentGod View Post
My apologies.

I am an advocate for using active voice when writing and making my intent clear. Please excuse me for coming on too strong!
We appreciate that sir!
The only thing that usually gets Doug's knickers in a twist is folks who try to claim to be experts on the import process, or those who perpetuate false info on importing. I never see him get fired up over what people are selling even when it's shit (and this is not shit).

May we all resume the daily programming.

Also, can we simply assume that Shayne has exhausted his financial resources because he hasn't licked this yet?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old December 16th, 2014, 12:11 AM
the rover shop
Status: Offline
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ft lauderdale florida
Posts: 5,225
Pffftft, td5 is where it's at baby....lol..
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old December 16th, 2014, 12:14 AM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Online
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,841
Registry
I'm not fired up @ all. I sent President God an apology for ruffling his feathers. He says in his listing that he doesn't know the story of the engine and that parts are missing . I have people sending me messages asking what it would take to fix it for them.

I said "I'd guess" which was not misinformation nor bullying in any way.
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old December 16th, 2014, 12:15 AM
nathanwind's Avatar
nathanwind
Status: Offline
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Saratoga NY
Posts: 8,744
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
Pffftft, td5 is where it's at baby....lol..
Screw that! Can you run a Td5 on vegetable oil or used motor oil dumped in the tank ? One-wire Tdi is where the cool kids hang.
__________________
Jason Lavender
'71 Series IIA
'88 127 #F96 DKN
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old December 16th, 2014, 12:15 AM
the rover shop
Status: Offline
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ft lauderdale florida
Posts: 5,225
Unfortunately the local pickup only takes me out of the equation, but as has already been said, this is a pretty good deal, even if only for parts..!,

------ Follow up post added December 16th, 2014 12:18 AM ------

Jasonnnn, you can't justify your prehistoric motor with that argument... I don't expect to be able to find biodiesel in the middle of Africa.. And the better fuel economy of the Td5 means I'm already home while you're still looking for biodiesel coz you've run out.... Step into at least the 20th century old timer..
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old December 16th, 2014, 12:33 AM
PresidentGod
Status: Offline
Jacob
'87 110CSW-sold; '88 110CSW-sold
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 29
I sent an apology to UncleDoug too.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
300 tdi, tdi

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pelican case 1200 Abrooks For Sale - Parts 22 January 2nd, 2010 06:41 PM
Badger Half Cab Set Up, Black, Fabric Door Seals, 94 Style $1200 evilfij For Sale - Parts 15 January 1st, 2010 10:44 PM
New Take off SW Doors $1200.00 pair (packed) SafariHP The Vendors Loft 2 February 2nd, 2009 06:05 AM
1991 Range Rover $1200, Phoenix, AZ. azarmadillo For Sale - Vehicles 0 January 26th, 2009 10:47 PM
4.0 short blocks $1200 shipped evilfij For Sale - Parts 2 November 7th, 2003 10:57 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 PM.


Copyright