Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old August 28th, 2007, 04:56 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
24 spline conversion bearings for Series Housings

24 spline carrier conversion bearing sets for converting a series 3rd member to the later 24 spline HD d-90 style carriers or lockers. 4 all together to do the front and rear. $50 plus shipping

Randy
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2007, 05:45 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Randy, to translate.. will this allow me to use my stock D90 diffs, in a Series? I may want them if so.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old August 28th, 2007, 06:11 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
It will let you install a 24 spline d-90, disco or rangie diff carrier or locker into your series 3rd member. You would then be able to run a set of HD 24 spline shafts like a set of Rover Tracks half shafts in the rear and so on up front..

Your series carrier right now is 10 spline and weak along with the rear shafts.
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2007, 06:27 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Well I have a bunch of stock diffs hanging around, so it sounds like I could use these. I think I will take them.

Can you run stock 90 front and rear half shafts on the Series axles?
If running the diff from a D90 up front, I am assuming this will do away with needing the locking hubs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old August 29th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
chris-

you do not need locking hubs on a series front axle. they are optional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
Well I have a bunch of stock diffs hanging around, so it sounds like I could use these. I think I will take them.

Can you run stock 90 front and rear half shafts on the Series axles?
If running the diff from a D90 up front, I am assuming this will do away with needing the locking hubs?
Old August 29th, 2007, 01:12 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Chris, if you want to run D90 differentials in a series you need to:
1. Find 10 spline carriers (1987-mid1993 Range Rover diffs, 1993 110 front diff)
2. Bolt them in (sometimes there is a locating pin in the way but otherwise they just bolt up. In the rear you need to add a fill plug to the diff housing or fill through the breather hole).

10 spline REARS suck in series trucks. Fronts are fine. In reality, the rears are fine as long as you carry a spare set (all series rover guys do this). GBR had some Heavy Duty 10 spline rear axles for series that work fine. 24 spline is the way to go for 35in tires or rocks when locked but the series has so little power the 10 splines break from fatigue not stress/shock load.

What Randy has will allow you to run the series 4.7 gears and carrier with 24 spline axles. This is great if you want to keep 4.7 gears. You could accomplish the same with a stock D90 carrier and a spacer ring (this is what I did).

PS the D-90 inner shafts are too long to run in a series housing.

PPS Tell us what you are trying to do and I can tell you how to go about it.

PPPS Randy, sorry to polute your sale ad with text. I am sure someone who want to run 24 splines with stock series diffs will snap these up.
Old August 29th, 2007, 02:09 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I was really asking in case I need to replace the diffs in the Series. I havent gotten that far with it to even know whats going on there, but I have 2 stock rear diffs (1 from my 94 D90 and another from my 99 D1) and 1 front stock diff from the same Disco. If I needed to replace the ones in the Series and could use the ones I have sitting around, then thats less money I dont have to spend. Seemed like if I could do it, or have it as a "just in case" option, then it might be worth picking them up. But if I read it correctly, if i did that, I would need to buy after market shafts. Seems like maybe too much effort for a street runner and maybe bunny dealer runs.

Dave, mine currently has the locking hubs which is why I asked if I would need them still if going to the newer set up.

So many questions... I wonder if its time for a devoted Series section here.

Quote:
[/size]
Old August 29th, 2007, 06:50 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You would need a set of 24 spline series shafts for the rear. Someone like Rover tracks would make them. same as the front.. You can run either the stock 4.7 geras with this or a set of d-90 3.54 gears but they are kind of tall for a series. THese bearings basically conver the series (imperical) housing to a late model (metric) housing like in a d-90 or disco or raingie..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
conversion, series