200 TDI Complete FS in Florida - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old August 27th, 2006, 10:45 AM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

200 TDI Complete FS in Florida

I just unpacked a 200 TDI complete from Intercoller / Raditor too the clutch cover. Engine has 38,000 miles on it. All pipes and hoses are included as are a new timimg belt and gaskets needed for swapping the belt. The raditor is new as I was not happy with the condition of the one provided.

Included:
Radiator (new and old)
Intercooler
Pipes
New exhaust System
Engine Wire Loom
Air Box
Intake Pipes
clutch / fly wheel
radiator support
power steering pump
altanator
starter

Also available is the proper gear box with transfer box for the engine as a direct drop in and engine mounts if needed.

$6400.00 or best offer, would ship via Forward Air or any other econmonical shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2006, 06:17 PM
dimcon
Chris Goldie
94 D90

What is the difference between this and a 300 tdi. What I've read is that they are basically the same just that the 300 is a newer design. Would the cost be for the tranny and transfer case.
Old August 27th, 2006, 10:12 PM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimcon
What is the difference between this and a 300 tdi. What I've read is that they are basically the same just that the 300 is a newer design. Would the cost be for the tranny and transfer case.

There is very little difference between the 200 and 300. The 300 is a newer design. I have driven both and don't see that big of a deifference.

I can do the engine and transmission / gear box for 7200.00 or best realistic offer.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2006, 11:17 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Do the diesel Chris - you wont be disappointed - and don't forget the hidden tank under the passenger seat!
Old August 28th, 2006, 01:04 PM
dimcon
Chris Goldie
94 D90

Stephen if you hold this set up for me for a couple of days I believe I get it. I just want to do a little more research to make sure I get what I really want. This is a Defender 200 right, I read that there is a difference between Def and Disco's. Also which tranny is this and can you think of anything else I would have to buy, or do you think this is pretty complete for a quick and easy install.

After seeing yours Jim I was sold. I wanted to go ahead kill the V8 first so I could justify it my mind, but with all the headaches I've had getting running I'm ready to light it on fire again. I've been half assing my rebuild so this would be a good excuse to do the way I wanted to start with.
Old August 28th, 2006, 01:16 PM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

Chris

Please do all the research required. I would rather pass on the sell than have not not happy. I have done three 200 TDI concersions for 2.5 N/As and it was cake. I have some information I can provide that would assist on installation. I am more than happy to preovide what assisance I can. As far as I know other than small bits nothing else is required. I have the complete UK shop manual that you can copy if you wish as well. If things are not nuts tonight I will get some pics of what I have for you.

I think this is the link from the last 200 I dropped in but I could be wrong, as the site will not come up for me.

http://www.estes.com/gallery/view_al...Name=LandRover

I can be reached at 407.782.7713.

Follow-up Post:

Ok so that is not the right link, I will have to find the images, sorry.

And it is a 200 TDI from a Defender as a Disco or Rangie is different. The turbo is in the wrong place.
Old August 28th, 2006, 01:19 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Then you can get the variable pressure turbo kit from Allard in the UK and crank up that 200 for some serious muscle when you want it.

The 200 has slightly less HP, but I've never heard anyone endorse the 300 over the 200. Some think the 200 is still the way to go for reliablility since the early 300's had suck extensive problems with the timing belts.

I can't remember if you drove my truck, but you'll probably get a little more punch with this setup - I installed a 1.2 t-case behind my 300 where the factory put in 1.4 cases.
Old August 28th, 2006, 01:21 PM
dimcon
Chris Goldie
94 D90

I'm sure I'd be happy, just never done anything like this that wasn't drop and go. If you can let me see some pictures I would get a better idea of what is involved ( saw the link, great truck but was a V8). I'll try to give you a call tomorrow if you free up.

Jim, where is your throttle at on the highway 65-70. The Kenworth I use to hual equipment runs wide open pedal to the floor at 65, and I hate not having any play. Not that I want to run real fast just want to a have little power in reserve in case. I'm guessing the 1.4 case would run slower at same RPM as the 1.2?
Old August 28th, 2006, 01:28 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Chris - its as close to drop and go as you can get really. Once you have all the bits they just bolt up. The only things that actually require work are the motor mounts (Pendy has a template he rents out for 300 motor mounts - they're probably the same). You have to remove the V8 air cleaner bracket from the firewall, and you have to toss out the NAS trans crossmember and use the crossmember for the diesel. With all the parts it will go together pretty quick. Oh, one other thing, if this doesnt come with a wiring harness, save yourself the hassle and buy a new bulkhead harness that is the right one for the motor. You'll spend about 600, but life will be easy and you'll know your wiring is correct.

And to answer your question, there is still play in the pedal at 65. The 1.4 should run a little slower for the same RPM, but I can run the 300 up to 85 if I want to look at 850 degrees on my EGT guage and drop to about 19mpg fuel economy. I have to drop a gear on long grades, my 5th gear is useless below 60 when pulling hills, if I can keep the speed up I'm OK. I think thats my penalty for picking the 1.2.
Old August 28th, 2006, 01:36 PM
dimcon
Chris Goldie
94 D90

I read about the wiring harness from your build posts. Thats the one for the gauges, signal switchs, fuse box, etc. right? I needed one anyway and never bougth a new, so this might be a good thing.
Old August 28th, 2006, 01:42 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The bulkhead harness links everything together alright, plus the diesel one is very simple. You do have to buy new hazard switches and stuff but your's might have all burned up anyway. The ignition just plugs right in, but the guages (and I think the steering column) have a subharness. Also, the 200 tdi harness should be early enough to still have the headlight and engine compartment leads built-in, saving the purchase of more sub-harnesses. If the 200 comes with an engine harness then make sure you buy the compatible main, or else just replace both. I dont know if your tail light sub harness survived, but I cut my NAS one to work with the TDI main. If Steven here doesnt have the parts, the George at RDS might. If he doesnt, then I had a good experience with the guys at Dingocroft in the UK.
Old August 28th, 2006, 02:41 PM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

I don't have the pics here at my real job, but there are only a few wires that must be connected, glow plug relay, and fuel shut off relay plus the glow plug waring light.

The last truck was a 200 TDI dropped into a Series wanna be and she ran at 80 no problem. Would tow a house, stopping and starting was an issue but that is the case with my 4.6 Disco also. I a link that helped me alot on the first one.

If your frame is set up as a 2.5 Normally asperiated frame or a Series frame then the engine mounts are in the right place. If the frame is set for a V8 then you need series motor mounts, I can prvide images and measurements as required and new motor mounts or used what ever is available. I have several old series frames I can cut the mounts from.

Send me an email to my office and I will send the dicuments that I have that explasin how it all goes together. srpeters@unitech1.com

Follow-up Post:

I also have a complete 200 TDI main harness that I might not need as I have a complete truck plus a 300 firewall complete. I may have several parts that you need. I think I also have a rear main harness that I removed, but I have to check.
Old August 28th, 2006, 04:26 PM
cestes
Chris Estes
'66 SIIa/'93 D110 Hybrid

Oh, I'm drooling...

Stephen, did you get my email. The 109/110 is eating me alive in gas bills! Two weeks ago I bought a 1983 Mercedes 300D and converted it to run on WVO (waste vegetable oil). Based on current prices, the car and conversion will be paid for in savings in just under 10 months!!!

I miss being the biggest thing on the road, but love saving money. Anyway, lots less wear and tear on the Rover.

Now, if I could go back in time two years, I know what I'd be asking you for!!!

-Chris-
Old August 28th, 2006, 04:58 PM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by cestes
Oh, I'm drooling...

Stephen, did you get my email. The 109/110 is eating me alive in gas bills! Two weeks ago I bought a 1983 Mercedes 300D and converted it to run on WVO (waste vegetable oil). Based on current prices, the car and conversion will be paid for in savings in just under 10 months!!!

I miss being the biggest thing on the road, but love saving money. Anyway, lots less wear and tear on the Rover.

Now, if I could go back in time two years, I know what I'd be asking you for!!!

-Chris-

Chris I have been trying to email you for two weeks and it keeps bounching back for some reason, and I have meant to call. I have another one of these coming and had you in mind. I have a container coming with more engines. Please set your email to accpet from my work address at srpeters@unitech1.com.
Old August 30th, 2006, 06:00 PM
dimcon
Chris Goldie
94 D90

Alright Stepehn I'm game. I think I've done about all the research and thinking I can so, let's do it. I'll try to call tomorrow to set up all the details, but it will probably be Tuesday when I get back. I would love to meet up Wed Sept 13th as that's my birthday and this would make a hell of a nice present.

Hate to ask but as a formality, will you guarantee the motor and tranny aren't bad. I understand I'm getting a used motor and all but I don't want to end up with someone else's headache.

Look forward to talking to you
Thanks
Old August 30th, 2006, 07:48 PM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimcon
Alright Stepehn I'm game. I think I've done about all the research and thinking I can so, let's do it. I'll try to call tomorrow to set up all the details, but it will probably be Tuesday when I get back. I would love to meet up Wed Sept 13th as that's my birthday and this would make a hell of a nice present.

Hate to ask but as a formality, will you guarantee the motor and tranny aren't bad. I understand I'm getting a used motor and all but I don't want to end up with someone else's headache.

Look forward to talking to you
Thanks

I can plan on the 13th. Please give me a call so we can work out the details 407.782.7713.

I have purchased parts and accessories from a smaller UK Land Rover company for ten years or more. I know each person that works there and they have never done me wrong. This is a used engine but they refuse any part where the history and service are in question.

I can 100% say that the engine and all componets are in perfect working condition. Should some problem arise I will work with you 100% to make it right, on that I give you my word.

As far as the transmission, I purchased that from Les at Rovers North and again I have dealt with him for many years and he has never done me wrong. Again if there should be some kind of problem I will stand behind it.

Give me a call over the next few days and we can discuss the details.
Old September 7th, 2006, 05:00 AM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

FYI, the 200 and 300 have different engine mounts and, if I recall correctly, mate a bit differently to the transmission. The 200 mounts (and mates?) identical to the older 2.5L diesel.

The 200 has an older style v-belt whereas the 300 has a serpintine that includes the power steering pump. This leads me to believe that power steering is an option with the 200 but required with the 300.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
fs, tdi