2 Jerry Can Highlift Swing away carrier - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 4th, 2012, 03:10 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

O.k. I thought my stupid post would get your attention. To all Barry did not have a Bo-Peep greeting on his voicemail...it was Barry White.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 4th, 2012, 09:29 PM
taoseno
Todd Kendrick
1995 D90 #2206 Original Owner

Registry
I really like design I am just not sure it will handle a 35" tire w/out blocking the taillights and or be too low. I think more pics from diff angles will help me decide. I understand you designed to leave the 3rd in play but I dont have a 3rd anyway............so I woud think that would make it more appealing to most. post some pics w/ a 35 if you can!
'95 D90 #2206
'66 109" P/U
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 4th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
Ron. thank you.
If I compared the preliminary interest to the actual interest now that they are done I would ask what happend to everyone.
So I ask for input on what folks view as being wrong with the carrier design

- it is $400 less than any other carrier out there.

It has the shelf like the old Safari Guard for dual jerry cans,

it has a latch to secure it to the frame like a Shrockworks

It bolts up to standard mounts just like a stock ST carrier and will swing away with the back door with th right hardware
It can hold a big tire
It is built like a brick sh*t house

You can get to your highlift quite easily

So I guess I missed the boat.

Similar to the light bars there is little profit for me on these so this may be the only batch I will have made.
Ron, Barry any thougths on the design. Josh I don't need to ask because you'll give it.

Barry, I haven't gotten back to you on the bolts becuase I need to pick more up as the shop lost my batch ARGH!
I haven't been spending much time on the board lately. So I missed quite a lot. I have been waiting for something like this for a while. I missed the last Safari Guard tire carrier by a few hours (another quicker board member beat me to it).
I love the design and the follow through! I want! Send me a pm with the particulars and I will send the paypal. The zipcode for shipping is 60435.
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:13 PM
kylesrover
Kyle
97 D90 ST #1018

Thumbs up

Quote:
Ron. thank you.
If I compared the preliminary interest to the actual interest now that they are done I would ask what happend to everyone.
So I ask for input on what folks view as being wrong with the carrier design

- it is $400 less than any other carrier out there.

It has the shelf like the old Safari Guard for dual jerry cans,

it has a latch to secure it to the frame like a Shrockworks

It bolts up to standard mounts just like a stock ST carrier and will swing away with the back door with th right hardware
It can hold a big tire
It is built like a brick sh*t house

You can get to your highlift quite easily

So I guess I missed the boat.

Similar to the light bars there is little profit for me on these so this may be the only batch I will have made.
Ron, Barry any thougths on the design. Josh I don't need to ask because you'll give it.

Barry, I haven't gotten back to you on the bolts becuase I need to pick more up as the shop lost my batch ARGH!
Nice work Clay. I think I need to buy a 90 so I can join in on all the fun. Looks like a very worthy upgrade.
Old June 5th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
I am looking forward to getting this tire carrier on my truck. I've been looking for this upgrade for a while.
Old June 13th, 2012, 01:38 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

cover lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Does it cover up the passenger side turn and brake light?

What's the largest tire it fits, etc.?
No it doesn't cover the lights - new pictures are with a 255/85/16 and a 285/75/16. If you are running a bigger tire, I can make the mounts an inch over toward the driver's side to accomodate a taller tire.

------ Follow up post added June 13th, 2012 01:40 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
It won't work on my 90 but have to agree that you need better pics. For example looking at the pics you posted It looks like it covers the tail lights, looks like the door only opens part way and it looks like the tire sticks Wayyyy out from the body.

Price seems fair, post up some better pics and maybe you will more interest?

Dave,
Per your feedback I took some additional shots that shows how far the door will open. The first pics were to just show the swing away arm working.
Old June 13th, 2012, 01:51 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

More pics

More pictures to address some of the questions:

Pic of the entire kit and I will include the 120mm M10 bolt to the crossmember in SS

pic of the carrier not interferring with the lights for a 255/85/16 and a 285/75/16 - keep in mind this is on a 94 and 95 and 97s have round lights so they are more visible using this carrier.

One question was that the tire stuck out too far - that was because the tire in the pic was a 255, I have included a side shot with the 285 so you can see that there is still a a room to get your highlift off but no too much

Pic of the carrier with the door fully open. If used with the swingaway arm from a stock carrier there is a stopper on the swing away mechanism so the door doesn't hit the carrier.

If not using the swing away, the bottom mount will stop the dorr from going past being parallel to the truck's side

Pic of the adjustable crossmember stop as this will prevent the rack from wabbling around while you are driving and it keeps the rack nice and snug to the crossmember.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tirecarrierkit.jpg.png
Views:	193
Size:	509.1 KB
ID:	52840   Click image for larger version

Name:	tirecarrier285.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	52841  

Name:	tirecarrier.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	52842   Click image for larger version

Name:	tirecarrierlatch2.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	52843  

Name:	tirecarrieropendoor.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	52844  
Old June 13th, 2012, 01:53 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

more pis

more pics. 3 have been sold 1 on my truck so that leaves, 1 spoken for so that leaves 5 left.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tirecarriernotire.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	52846   Click image for larger version

Name:	tirecarrier285.2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	52847  

Name:	tirecarrierupperarm.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	52848  
Old June 15th, 2012, 01:27 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Fixed Price and Backing plates

Price for the carrier is a flat $725 Shipped CONUS. Also included is the following backing plate. Please note upper hinge is not included it is just for suggested serving
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	backingplate1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	52969   Click image for larger version

Name:	backingplate2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	52970  

Old June 15th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Oliver Whiting
Oliver Whiting
84 110, 94 NAS90,Bunch of EX-mods

Clay
You beat me to it, I was never satisfied with any of my tire carrier versions but yours looks very nice.

Good Job.
Old June 18th, 2012, 02:43 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

bump
Old June 21st, 2012, 12:26 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

bump

Quote:
bump
bump ide bump
Old June 23rd, 2012, 04:01 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

More Pics

O.k. I should have posted these long ago as they are a result of inquiry. Like my original add states that you can use it without the swing arm but I did not post pictures. There is no real weight on the swing arm if you don't use it and the bottom crossmember actually acts as a stop so that you end up pinching the carrier between the stop and the latch. See pictures for example. Also the bottom hinge is made to stop the carrier from swinging around the truck please see photos. Photos are:
1. Tire carrier not using swing arm fully open
2. Tire carrier and rear door open at the same time
3. Picture of the bottom hinge's stop plate
4. Picures of the cross members stop plate.
5. Picture of Tires proximity to body with carrier open all the way

Hope these help if some of you had questions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tirecarrieropen.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	53328   Click image for larger version

Name:	tirecarrieropen1.jpg
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	53329  

Name:	tirecarrierbottomhinge.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	53331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tirecarriercatch.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	53332  

Name:	tirecarrieropen3.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	53333  
Old June 23rd, 2012, 01:29 PM
323jamie
jamie
83 D110 RHD 300tdi Disco conversion

Registry
future investment.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 04:40 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

more pics

Sorry guys I should have consolidated all the pics. Anyway since the carrier latches to the crossmember you don't to run a tailgate. Let the truck go comando
Attached are pics as I removed my tailgate and going to run the truck that way for awhile..I think I may remove the doors as well for giggles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	outsideshot.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	53337   Click image for larger version

Name:	insideshot.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	53338  

Old June 27th, 2012, 12:30 AM
Hazard
David Hazard
95 D-90

I just got my Swing away carrier and its very high quality. I was very happy with the construction and powder coating, etc. It is also very well engineered.

I have included a pic of how it showed up and how it looks on the back of my truck. I had to re-engineer the brackets to fit with my bumperettes (which I would have had to do with any carrier).

It would have been a very easy and clean install if I didnt have the custom rear bumperettes, Thumbs up for a great product, thanks for bringing a good product to the site Clay!

I should also mention that I mounted it further to the left so that I could incorporate the bumperettes.
Old June 29th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Hazard
David Hazard
95 D-90

One more picture with the tire and jerry cans on. The tire is a 35" Baja Claw on a steel beadlock wheel, so very large and heavy. The carrier is very sturdy.

My angle is bad on the picture, the tire does not cover the passenger side lights

Old July 2nd, 2012, 01:09 PM
hankhowi
s
1997 Defender

Yesterday, I spent the afternoon installing my carrier in Clay's driveway. Thanks Clay for all of your help. Besides making a fantastic product, Clay is a wonderful human being for spending so much of his time helping me to install this carrier..Consider your self fortunate to do business with a solid indivdual like Clay.

My Defender is a 97 with dual ladders, and yes this carrier fully opens with the ladders, it's well engineered and built like the proverbial brick shit house. If you are sitting on the fence like I was, all I can say is order one before they are gone, these carriers are by far the best I've been able to find for the price and quality.

Thanks!
Old July 2nd, 2012, 05:43 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankhowi View Post
Yesterday, I spent the afternoon installing my carrier in Clay's driveway. Thanks Clay for all of your help. Besides making a fantastic product, Clay is a wonderful human being for spending so much of his time helping me to install this carrier..Consider your self fortunate to do business with a solid indivdual like Clay.

My Defender is a 97 with dual ladders, and yes this carrier fully opens with the ladders, it's well engineered and built like the proverbial brick shit house. If you are sitting on the fence like I was, all I can say is order one before they are gone, these carriers are by far the best I've been able to find for the price and quality.

Thanks!
I would like to add that Shannon was very patient with the install and was a tremendous help. Since it was a hardtop we had to drill holes for the upper mount to work with the ladder support as typically the hardtops have the tire mounted on the door. I had no idea how much weight that spare tire puts on the rear door and it was a shame to see what that weight had down over the years to a rear door. In addition, we had to trim the plinth for his 97 turn signal and lower hinge but I not sure if that will be an issue for all racks/all trucks. So there was valuable technical information that we both walked away with. His wife's portofino red was a really nice example of a defender.

So far to date - I have mounted the rack on my 94 and it sits snuggly against the lower lights. Dave Hazard had rear bumperettes on his crossmember and had to do some modifcation to the mounts due to the bumperrettes.
There are 2 other members currently with the racks that I am awaiting to hear back from on installation and post upon receipt.
Old September 8th, 2016, 10:12 PM
Phomollient
David Cutrer
1995 D90

Tire carrier

I realize this is an old thread but I would love to have one of those swing out tire carriers!

David at 602-616-3375.

I would greatly appreciate any information on how to obtain one.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
carrier, wing