WTT: 2000 BMW M5 Dinan S2 for D-90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
930chas
Status: Offline
C Ham
1995 D-90
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Merryland
Posts: 46
WTT: 2000 BMW M5 Dinan S2 for D-90

Probably a longshot but I have a 2000 BMW M5 with the full Dinan S2 package. It has 80k miles and is a 2 owner car that originally haled from California. It is Imola Red with black leather and wood trim interior. It has Dinan 18" wheels with new Michelin Pilot sports along with a recently installed Dinan clutch and flywheel. The S2 package was $35k and upgrades the hp of the car to 470hp. It also includes a complete suspension upgrade. It is an awesome awesome package...but I am especially glad that the previous owner took the hit on the cost of it...lol. I have also upgraded the nav system, radio, and widescreen monitor. The car is pretty much mechanically perfect, I just don't drive it anymore with the recent acquisition of my e60 M5. I have always wanted a D-90, so thought I would throw this out there. Any interest, please shoot me an email. adiflix@yahoo.com. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m51.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	16700   Click image for larger version

Name:	m5.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	16701  

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:55 PM
smob's Avatar
smob
Status: Offline
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mclean, VA
Posts: 1,619
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 930chas
Probably a longshot but I have a 2000 BMW M5 with the full Dinan S2 package. It has 80k miles and is a 2 owner car that originally haled from California. It is Imola Red with black leather and wood trim interior. It has Dinan 18" wheels with new Michelin Pilot sports along with a recently installed Dinan clutch and flywheel. The S2 package was $35k and upgrades the hp of the car to 470hp. It also includes a complete suspension upgrade. It is an awesome awesome package...but I am especially glad that the previous owner took the hit on the cost of it...lol. I have also upgraded the nav system, radio, and widescreen monitor. The car is pretty much mechanically perfect, I just don't drive it anymore with the recent acquisition of my e60 M5. I have always wanted a D-90, so thought I would throw this out there. Any interest, please shoot me an email. adiflix@yahoo.com. Thanks.
Nice. I have a 2000 E39 M5. Got it to 420 HP by upgrading the air filters. $75. Have you replaced both VANOs banks?
__________________
"Land Rover = rolling mechanical failure. it is failing even as it sits in the driveway. get used to it. My 90 just had a failure as I was typing this."
-Ren Ching
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old December 3rd, 2008, 06:49 AM
930chas
Status: Offline
C Ham
1995 D-90
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Merryland
Posts: 46
Yes, the e39 M5 is a great car. This is actually my third one. Also, unfortunately, I can guarantee you didn't pick up 20+ hp from adding air filters. It is extremelly hard to extract additional horsepower out of these cars. In fact, although Dinan states that the S2 package is 470hp, I would venture to say it is in the neighborhood of 460hp, the headers making up the bulk of that additional hp. Most air filters or CAIs upgrades are good for 5-8hp tops, and in fact some can actually lose hp. Although they do sound good. As far as Vanos banks, everything that has needed to be done to this car, has been done, and then some. It is very very well sorted, and burns little to no oil, which was definitely a problem with the 2000 M5s. Thanks for the question.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:14 AM
smob's Avatar
smob
Status: Offline
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mclean, VA
Posts: 1,619
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 930chas
Yes, the e39 M5 is a great car. This is actually my third one. Also, unfortunately, I can guarantee you didn't pick up 20+ hp from adding air filters. It is extremelly hard to extract additional horsepower out of these cars. In fact, although Dinan states that the S2 package is 470hp, I would venture to say it is in the neighborhood of 460hp, the headers making up the bulk of that additional hp. Most air filters or CAIs upgrades are good for 5-8hp tops, and in fact some can actually lose hp. Although they do sound good. As far as Vanos banks, everything that has needed to be done to this car, has been done, and then some. It is very very well sorted, and burns little to no oil, which was definitely a problem with the 2000 M5s. Thanks for the question.
I had it dyno'd, but I agree, it's very hard to get more power without significant changes to the vehicle. In fact, non-M5 e39 owners were always being told to buy an M5 instead of installing a supercharger in their 540. So, in my case, either the dyno was giving out bad data or I had some black magic air filters. Or something else was going on with my 2nd-owner car. Good luck with the sale.
__________________
"Land Rover = rolling mechanical failure. it is failing even as it sits in the driveway. get used to it. My 90 just had a failure as I was typing this."
-Ren Ching
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:36 AM
crown14's Avatar
crown14
Status: Offline
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 44 Nas Row, Inter Net, USA
Posts: 3,285
Registry
I had a '97 540i6, I guess I miss it because as soon as I saw this thread I started looking around for a D90 to buy- just so I could trade you.

Seriously though, what are you looking for in a 90 trade? Color preference?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old December 3rd, 2008, 08:14 AM
930chas
Status: Offline
C Ham
1995 D-90
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Merryland
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14
I had a '97 540i6, I guess I miss it because as soon as I saw this thread I started looking around for a D90 to buy- just so I could trade you.

Seriously though, what are you looking for in a 90 trade? Color preference?
Hahaha...too funny!! Really, I thought the chances of this trade actually happening to be slim and none, so wasn't going to push my luck with color preferences. But... I really would not want yellow and probably wouldn't want red. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:15 AM
pushngo
Status: Offline
Randy Williams
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lancaster PA
Posts: 287
What do you want for the car then you can just buy a 90?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:34 AM
Stmpede's Avatar
Stmpede
Status: Offline
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOB
I had it dyno'd, but I agree, it's very hard to get more power without significant changes to the vehicle. In fact, non-M5 e39 owners were always being told to buy an M5 instead of installing a supercharger in their 540. So, in my case, either the dyno was giving out bad data or I had some black magic air filters. Or something else was going on with my 2nd-owner car. Good luck with the sale.
If I were to venture a guess I would say yours was pumping out more than 400 to start with. Not every engine off the line is identical, some make more or less hp. Also, BMW is notorious for under reporting hp figures. Beautiful M5 btw. I love the Imola Red, and I hate red cars!
__________________
"I have taken more good from alcohol than alcohol has taken from me." - Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old December 3rd, 2008, 11:53 AM
TravelerBT's Avatar
TravelerBT
Status: Offline
Philip Marshall
none - :*(
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Erie, colorado
Posts: 587
Registry
Hard top? Soft Top?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:17 PM
930chas
Status: Offline
C Ham
1995 D-90
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Merryland
Posts: 46
I would want to sell the car for $30k, otherwise it wouldn't be worth it for me, and I would just keep it.

I would prefer hard top, but again, am not going to be too particular. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old December 4th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,884
Registry
Please do not get it the wrong way, but $30K with 80k is a tad much.
What do I know, you'll might ask, well
Sold my 01 S3 with 52k on it for 35,000. No paint work, and I had schnitzer wheels and upgraded Brembos, almost forgot was Black on black

I am sure your car is awesome, but low to mid 20's is what the value is ( assuming someone in this silly economy wants to add another toy to the family ).

Once again, did not mean any harm

Best of luck with it
__________________
NO SIGNATURE
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old December 4th, 2008, 04:41 PM
930chas
Status: Offline
C Ham
1995 D-90
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Merryland
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier
Please do not get it the wrong way, but $30K with 80k is a tad much.
What do I know, you'll might ask, well
Sold my 01 S3 with 52k on it for 35,000. No paint work, and I had schnitzer wheels and upgraded Brembos, almost forgot was Black on black

I am sure your car is awesome, but low to mid 20's is what the value is ( assuming someone in this silly economy wants to add another toy to the family ).

Once again, did not mean any harm

Best of luck with it
No offense taken, but I think you are slightly off on your Dinan terminology. Did you have a supercharged M5? If not, you did not own an S3. If you did own a supercharged M5 and you sold it for $35k, well that was foolish. I imagine more then likely you had a Dinan Stage 3 suspension system on your car. Whereas my car is the full Dinan S2 package. http://www.dinancars.com/store/produ...cat=550&page=1 The package alone is $32k, plus installation, plus wheels ($1000 each). Like I said I have owned 3 M5s, 2 have been S2s, and I definitely know the market. $30k is actually an incredible price for this car. So, again, no offense taken, but please do your homework before coming into for sale threads and posting your thoughts. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old December 4th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Stmpede's Avatar
Stmpede
Status: Offline
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,459
Just my $.02 but I think $30k is probably about right if you look at the M5 market right now. We all know that as nice as the Dinan S2 kit is, it isn't worth a whole lot, certainly no where near the $35k+ that it costs, on the used market. However, all things considered, I would say that the S2 kit sort of cancels out or makes up for the miles. Without the Dinan kit, I would say it is probably more of a mid $20's vehicle, but I think $30k is a fair asking price for this setup. If you want to see truly ridiculous, check cars.com...some dealer is trying to sell a supercharged 2000 M5 for $90k!!! Personally, I'd rather buy a brand new e60 M5 and keep a couple grand in my pocket...
__________________
"I have taken more good from alcohol than alcohol has taken from me." - Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old December 4th, 2008, 06:11 PM
smob's Avatar
smob
Status: Offline
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mclean, VA
Posts: 1,619
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
Just my $.02 but I think $30k is probably about right if you look at the M5 market right now. We all know that as nice as the Dinan S2 kit is, it isn't worth a whole lot, certainly no where near the $35k+ that it costs, on the used market. However, all things considered, I would say that the S2 kit sort of cancels out or makes up for the miles. Without the Dinan kit, I would say it is probably more of a mid $20's vehicle, but I think $30k is a fair asking price for this setup. If you want to see truly ridiculous, check cars.com...some dealer is trying to sell a supercharged 2000 M5 for $90k!!! Personally, I'd rather buy a brand new e60 M5 and keep a couple grand in my pocket...
The other issue with the early e39 M5's is the rampant double VANOs failures.. If you can show documented proof that they've been replaced (which costs about $2k part and $1k labor each, possibly less depending on where you go), you can ask for the higher price at sale. But most enthusiasts I know won't touch a used one with original VANOs. I've had the left bank replaced on mine and have been searching for a right bank at super rock-bottom prices.

That said, there are a ton of people who prefer the e39 before the flappy-panel e60.. I'm one of those.
__________________
"Land Rover = rolling mechanical failure. it is failing even as it sits in the driveway. get used to it. My 90 just had a failure as I was typing this."
-Ren Ching
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old December 4th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,884
Registry
Look once again, I am sorry if you are offended.
I do not post just to post. I do have few specialty cars ( current and prior ) and well aware of the terminology on M5, yes it was Supercharged, and the S3 was a typo. The package price means nothing as it is used.
I have a 360 modena with an optional 50K package, well if I was to sell it, that package will allow me to sell it quicker but certainly not extra dollars.
If the M5 was not a dinan I would have said a fair price would be mid to upper teens.
I hold access to Auto Auctions, so I know the market quite a bit.
And as my post said, you have an awesome vehicle and Good Luck with the sale.

Best regards



Quote:
Originally Posted by 930chas
No offense taken, but I think you are slightly off on your Dinan terminology. Did you have a supercharged M5? If not, you did not own an S3. If you did own a supercharged M5 and you sold it for $35k, well that was foolish. I imagine more then likely you had a Dinan Stage 3 suspension system on your car. Whereas my car is the full Dinan S2 package. http://www.dinancars.com/store/produ...cat=550&page=1 The package alone is $32k, plus installation, plus wheels ($1000 each). Like I said I have owned 3 M5s, 2 have been S2s, and I definitely know the market. $30k is actually an incredible price for this car. So, again, no offense taken, but please do your homework before coming into for sale threads and posting your thoughts. Thanks.
__________________
NO SIGNATURE
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old December 5th, 2008, 06:42 AM
930chas
Status: Offline
C Ham
1995 D-90
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Merryland
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier
Look once again, I am sorry if you are offended.
I do not post just to post. I do have few specialty cars ( current and prior ) and well aware of the terminology on M5, yes it was Supercharged, and the S3 was a typo. The package price means nothing as it is used.
I have a 360 modena with an optional 50K package, well if I was to sell it, that package will allow me to sell it quicker but certainly not extra dollars.
If the M5 was not a dinan I would have said a fair price would be mid to upper teens.
I hold access to Auto Auctions, so I know the market quite a bit.
And as my post said, you have an awesome vehicle and Good Luck with the sale.

Best regards
Not offended, but you have peaked my interest. There aren't many supercharged e39 M5s out there, when one considers the incredible cost assumed with that upgrade. Last I checked the Dinan S3 package was north of $50k plus installation costs. Discovery Automotive is upwards of $45k plus installation costs and can go higher dependant on how far you want to take it. Crazy pricing, huh?? Especially crazy to think you would spend that kind of money on upgrading your car and then sell it for such a loss. What company made and installed the supercharger on your M5? Also, if the S3 was a typo, what did you mean to type? Who bought the car and is it still in the Maryland area? I would definitely like to check it out.

Also, I am glad you have access to the Auction network and thus know what abused and neglected M5s are selling for....But, this isn't an auto auction. This is a very nice vehicle with a rare and expensive package on it. It isn't a car that has been mistreated and it comes with full service history, thus a prospective buyer will know they are buying something special. Anyhow, all this back and forth is irrelevent because if it doesn't sell at $30k, or I don't make a trade happen I am not selling it. Thanks and please let me know about your supercharged M5.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old December 5th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Stmpede's Avatar
Stmpede
Status: Offline
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,459
Charlie, I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but you should throw it in Roundel. The cars in there always sell for more than anywhere else because buyers know that the orig. owner was an enthusiast and likely took care of the car properly etc.
__________________
"I have taken more good from alcohol than alcohol has taken from me." - Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old December 5th, 2008, 11:19 AM
930chas
Status: Offline
C Ham
1995 D-90
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Merryland
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
Charlie, I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but you should throw it in Roundel. The cars in there always sell for more than anywhere else because buyers know that the orig. owner was an enthusiast and likely took care of the car properly etc.
I would probably need to raise the price to $40k for Roundel. lol. No, seriously that is a good suggestion, I always forget about Roundel. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old December 5th, 2008, 11:59 AM
AmityD90's Avatar
AmityD90
Status: Offline
Gery
1987 ROW D90
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 1,022
Registry
I tried trading my Z3 for a D90 over the summer and didn't have much luck here. I got a couple bites, but couldn't find a match.
I posted on http://forums.bimmerforums.com as well with a little more luck. But in the end I got someone through Craigslist and got what I was asking for Just have to be patient and get someone who is looking exactly for what you are selling.

My wife is still salty I sold my BMW for a D90.
I do miss the bimmer alot. You know what they say about D90s getting you laid more. It isn't true.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old December 7th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,884
Registry
I meant to type S2.

I bought the car in Ft Lauderdale ( Used 46k mi ) as it sat, with the schnits and the upgraded brembo, I did not do anything to the M5 other than driving it and sold it to a guy in California march maybe ( san diego ). not even advertised, someone asked a friend, so we spoke, and car was transported.

I second Stampede recommendation, Roundel it is a great place to market the car ( at least was when I used to read it ) and I think your 40k might not be a bad idea. ( back in the mid 90's I've sold my lightweight to a fellow BMW guy for decent value )

Please llow me to repeat I HAVE NO DOUBTS that the car it is worth more than what you ask, all I meant is the Market being the way it is, TRUE VALUES are foreplay.

I also agree with the facts that sometimes when we have one item, and we price it, and if it doesn't materialize what we want we keep it. Maybe this got out of context, and again AT NO TIME I TRIED TO DOWNFALL YOU, YOUR CAR or YOUR INTENT, and if it came accross that way, once gain My apologies.

Once again Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930chas
Not offended, but you have peaked my interest. There aren't many supercharged e39 M5s out there, when one considers the incredible cost assumed with that upgrade. Last I checked the Dinan S3 package was north of $50k plus installation costs. Discovery Automotive is upwards of $45k plus installation costs and can go higher dependant on how far you want to take it. Crazy pricing, huh?? Especially crazy to think you would spend that kind of money on upgrading your car and then sell it for such a loss. What company made and installed the supercharger on your M5? Also, if the S3 was a typo, what did you mean to type? Who bought the car and is it still in the Maryland area? I would definitely like to check it out.

Also, I am glad you have access to the Auction network and thus know what abused and neglected M5s are selling for....But, this isn't an auto auction. This is a very nice vehicle with a rare and expensive package on it. It isn't a car that has been mistreated and it comes with full service history, thus a prospective buyer will know they are buying something special. Anyhow, all this back and forth is irrelevent because if it doesn't sell at $30k, or I don't make a trade happen I am not selling it. Thanks and please let me know about your supercharged M5.
__________________
NO SIGNATURE
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
2000, 90, d-90

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
90 & 110 Parts Sale Extravaganza Wolf Fabrication For Sale - Parts 57 October 16th, 2012 09:35 AM
WTT - Your d90 for a 2000 E320 Wagon uzj100 For Sale - Vehicles 1 September 19th, 2006 08:46 AM
FS: '00 BMW 528iA Sport AggieD90 For Sale - Vehicles 0 November 9th, 2005 07:59 PM
2000 BMW 323Ci for sale or trade for d90 Campbell For Sale - Vehicles 0 May 3rd, 2004 08:39 AM
Can anybody do a Vin Check for me? Quimbola Misc. Chit-Chat 7 February 18th, 2004 06:24 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 AM.


Copyright