Whats legal? Frame Swaps, Importing, etc - Page 7 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:20 AM
jessejames4
Jesse Parris
1/18 scale LR Def 110

I've been following this topic for some time and I'm probably one of a hundred guys who are now ready to import an 83 110 Defender CSW diesel to the States January 1st, 2007. LHD would be ideal, but I don't think they are that common in Great Britain from what I've seen offered on several GB classifieds.

Has anyone written down the steps needed to get one of these here?

To start, I would think a reliable source in GB for the LR. Anyone willing to help with this? My port would be the New England area, Connecticut, so would New Jersey be the import dock?

1. RO/RO is around $2000

2. US customs duty tax 2.5% of the value of the vehicle. Is that based on the final agreed sales between seller and buyer via a sales receipt or is it based a an NADA type of database?

I can't seem to get an answer from anyone regarding the cost of switching a RHD to a LHD once here in the States. Anyone have a pretty close idea or can direct me to a link.

Jesse
Fairfield County, Connecticut, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2007, 12:54 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

Those are my questions as well. Especially about going from RHD to LHD. If I am going to replace the frame with a galv. one, replace whatever engine/trans setup there is with a 300 Tdi / R380 is it going to be all that difficult since the truck will be dismantled anyway? I'm not against just leaving it RHD if it is too difficult or cost prohibitive to do (or look at sourcing one from somewhere else where they will be already LHD). But if it is simple enough while it's apart it would be nice.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 01:20 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The mechanical parts to covert are cheap, it is the labor cost and the LHD interior portions on the bulkhead, and the LHD heater/AC which cost $$$$.
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2007, 04:07 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

We have two inbound now- in storage for another week or two so as to arrive after Jan 1. The first two will be kept by my brother and I. The customs tax & shipping insurance are based on what you paid for the truck over there. The key is not to get "nicked" by our friends in the UK.

Switching to lhd drive involves cutting new holes in the bulkhead and closing the old ones as well as the lower dash tray, heater box, steel brake lines under the hood, front axle housing knuckle (you can leave the right one in place but need a left one) & you may as well upgrade those old 10 spline,cv,diffs,and axle shafts, a lhd steering box, drop arm, shorter/longer ps lines made up depending on which engine you have. There's also a lot of labor involved as Ron had said.

Depending on how smoothly these first two imports go we may be starting a small hobby company to bring in a couple per month and would be happy to act as your agent. I have a meeting with Customs in Balt. tomorrow morning to learn more about the nuances/ pitfalls to avoid, stateside.

Old December 4th, 2007, 01:33 PM
jessejames4
Jesse Parris
1/18 scale LR Def 110

Ok, but $20k for getting one here is way over what I would expect it to come out to. I think there is someone out here that goes between Great Britain and the New York/New England area on a regular basis who is willing to do that legwork and make a decent profit on it.

Let's say the agent finds a truck for me for $7k, then add the $3.5k for import, that's $10.5 K, throw in $2000 for the legwork, that's $12.5 to $13k. If it's LFD, I'd pay a premium on that as well.

That'd have to be one special $20k truck for me to buy it. I'm looking for an agent but not looking to get nicked on either side of the pond.

Jesse
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Crowther
You would be hard pressed to put a decent 1983 rhd diesel 5 door wagon on american soil for 10k. LHD is whole different scenario in the uk but more reasonable in other countries. Current shipping rates roll on roll off with the exchange rate as it is is around 2k. Plus an unload fee, customs taxes, Dept of Ag. inspection fee. Thats the price after you have the vehilce pressured washed to insure 0 soil is clinging underneath, v5 and other ownership docs assembled and export paper work done, and the vehicle delivered to the docks @ Southampton. Now you need to add an agents fees- someone to pick up your purchase, clean it, deliver it to the docks, do the paper work etc..book it on the ship.

A very conservative estimate to import a 1983 into the Us based on Nov.15th pricing is $3650-$4000. This using insurance and taxation figures based on a $6.25k/3000lb purchase price. If you can find a diesel 5 door 1983 rhd in the Uk for under 3k lbs/$6200 good luck to you. Decent 5 door wagon gas trucks are going for more than that. 1983's are at premium ask any Uk car dealer- the Brits are fully aware of our want to import.

Container costs for non-running vehicles are much higher and the guy on the other side of the pond is going to want a pound a mile to trailer it to Southampton in addition to the money above.
Old December 4th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

Agreed,

Pm me your number and I'll call and share my insight with you about this.

The 20k he was asking (before I high jacked his thread ) was for a truck in very good condition in Germany and was already lhd.

I got a conversion quote in the UK using used parts for the equivalent of $3750.
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:23 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Just FYI the Customs guys around here use the 25 year import rule as strictly 25 years, as in 25 years (to the day and month) from date of manufacture. They don't just do year subtraction and let all 1983s in January 2008, they get picky down to the day and month. Can't recall if that is the way it is written on the DOT form though, I think it says from date of manufacture, not year of manufacture.
On all our vehicle imports they double check that it was made 25 years ago, not just by the year it is.

In one case of a Lightweight a few years ago they needed the date of manufacture and I gave it to them, but they did not allow the truck in because the date it was first put into service was later, so the truck had to go back and wait for a few more months because the date of first registration had not turned 25 yet, and that V5 (UK title) paperwork was what we submitted to Customs, even though it was built prior to being put into service.

Check the date of first registration and/or hope you don't get our Customs guys.
Just a word of warning after dealing with Customs for 15 plus years.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:30 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Just FYI the Customs guys around here use the 25 year import rule as strictly 25 years, as in 25 years (to the day and month) from date of manufacture. They don't just do year subtraction and let all 1983s in January 2008, they get picky down to the day and month. Can't recall if that is the way it is written on the DOT form though, I think it says from date of manufacture, not year of manufacture.
On all our vehicle imports they double check that it was made 25 years ago, not just by the year it is.

In one case of a Lightweight a few years ago they needed the date of manufacture and I gave it to them, but they did not allow the truck in because the date it was first put into service was later, so the truck had to go back and wait for a few more months because the date of first registration had not turned 25 yet, and that V5 (UK title) paperwork was what we submitted to Customs, even though it was built prior to being put into service.

Check the date of first registration and/or hope you don't get our Customs guys.
Just a word of warning after dealing with Customs for 15 plus years.
man i think you need to bring your stuff into a higher trafficed port, preferably one with a high amount of drugs coming through for the agents to worry about, then they won't be squabling about days on a piece of paper! I guess they've got you on a list, the price you pay i assume for being in the business.
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:40 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan01
man i think you need to bring your stuff into a higher trafficed port, preferably one with a high amount of drugs coming through for the agents to worry about, then they won't be squabling about days on a piece of paper! I guess they've got you on a list, the price you pay i assume for being in the business.

Yes, we have a big red flag attached to our imports and a number of Customs officers that would like nothing more than to... well, you know.

We did have this problem even in Newark, NJ when we used to do RO/RO, so it isn't just the local Customs guys.

Boston Customs has a hissy fit if they get an invoice that is not on US sized paper. The stories I could tell...

Old December 4th, 2007, 03:26 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Merging with the Whats Legal thread ..

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old December 4th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

I just got home from meeting with customs. It went against my grain but I asked for permission since it doesn't sound like begging forgiveness works. They are letting me bring in the 2 110's as soon as I can get them here,,,,Ie not having to wait for Jan 1. Merry Legal 110 Christmas to me.
Old December 4th, 2007, 04:11 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I hope you have that in writing, signed buy as many people as you could find there. LOL

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old December 6th, 2007, 07:07 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

This is from the DOT web site:

You should note that the 25 year period runs from the date of the vehicle's manufacture. If the date of manufacture is not identified on a label permanently affixed to the vehicle by its original manufacturer, to establish the age of the vehicle, you should have documentation available such as an invoice showing the date the vehicle was first sold or a registration document showing that the vehicle was registered at least 25 years ago. Absent such information, a statement from a recognized vehicle historical society identifying the age of the vehicle could be used.

Old December 6th, 2007, 11:49 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Good new Doug!

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old December 8th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mike- Thanks I had read that and thats why I went and met with Customs. They were unable to pull the vehicle up in their computer system by VIN number. The Agent asked me for the date of manufacture- I didn't know it. So since I was being nice she said "as long as we get our 2.5% this should be fine go ahead and ship it". She gave me her cell ohone number in the event a different agent on the docks gives me a hard time. Got my fingers crossed as you know this is a very expensive gamble....
Old December 8th, 2007, 11:05 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Doug, great news. When do you expect them to arrive now?

charles
Old December 9th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Charles,
We are still accessorizing the trucks in the UK. More so my brother than myself, he's bought a complete 200 tdi conversion, a canvas and hoop set for his blue 110 pickup, as well as some heated Exmoor XS seats. Hopefully later this month. We have a great agent in the UK who's patiently helping with all of this. I'm waiting for a heated windscreen to be installed in my CSW. Hopefully we can get them on a ship before my brother starts going for bigger intercoolers, waxoyl etc....
Old January 14th, 2008, 05:53 PM
mfreeman17
Mark Freeman
94 D90

A good friend of mine owns a very large ranch in Colonia Juárez, Mexico. My question is - has anyone researched owning a newer defender in Mexico, both licensed, registered and insured in Mexico, which could in turn be drivin in the US? I live in Arizona now and I can asure you there are a number of cars/trucks around that have Mexican plates...

I am sure there are regulations as to how long the Mexican vehicle can remain in the US for one period of time, but if you had a vacation home down there, and periodically return the car - could this work?

Hassel yes, just curious as to the legal implications/restrictions if any.
Old January 19th, 2008, 07:02 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=14155

so is it legal to import this even without the original motor?
Old January 19th, 2008, 08:03 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
No. Check out the EPA importation form, it specifically states this is illegal. This EPA form and the Customs form HS7 must be filled out for all entering vechicles. Note the difference between the DOT rule (25 years) and the EPA rule (21 years). Just because this is unauthorized does not mean it hasnt happened. A good customs broker will probably get the truck to sail through, but your mileage may vary and its your money to gamble with.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/forms/3520-1.pdf

Follow-up Post:

Oh, its at the bottom of the first page.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
import