Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old February 7th, 2007, 07:34 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
CvC, would you please simply delete the off-topic verbiage so this thread can stay intact. All parties are providing interesting and relevant data, even though unfortunate hostilities have arisen. I know editing isnt your policy, but I think its warranted in this case.
Thank you for that Jim.

Posts have been deleted and some edited. I didnt target anyone in particular, and specifically looked for relevancy of each post in keeping the thread on track. Given the nature of general discussions, it is not reasonable to expect that this, like any other thread, will remain 100% true on topic, so as this grows, it will continually be moderated.

I also can see already, an entire section devoted to this topic developing to more specifically cover different circumstances. May prove to be an exciting section.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2007, 08:53 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

While this has been discussed the availability of the NHTSA opinion letters in a searchable format is somewhat new. Also, we are getting very close to the point where 83s can come in. Finally, many people are taking NAS trucks and restoring or stretching them and others are building defenders from scratch or from series. Therefore, I think it is as timely as ever to get all the information out there in a good, useable form.
Old October 20th, 2007, 08:17 PM
evilfij
evilfij

21+ years old and no EPA requirements if original engine. EPA might ding it for the 2.5 diesel.

I will be looking for an 84/85 90 diesel LHD, probably exMOD soon.

Ron
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2007, 10:47 AM
fayd
Eric Panzer
1983 Defender 110

Are you certain about that? On the PennDOT page, there is a calculator that tells you what emissions testing you will be subject to for inspection, based solely on year of manufacture. A 1986 (21+) year old vehicle is supposed to get a two-speed idle test (detector in the tail pipe).

http://www.dep.state.pa.us/aq_apps/emissions/test.asp

It doesn't differentiate gasoline vs. diesel there however, and I haven't really been able to find any emissions standards for diesel engines (non-commercial) covered in any PennDOT literature. Any chance you could point me in the right direction?
Old October 23rd, 2007, 11:05 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Diesels are not subject to emissions testing in PA. If it is titled and registered as a diesel, you do not have to do emissions. The problem would be that the rover title if it was a V8 originally, will have a digit that indicates it is a V8 petrol.

What I was talking about is getting it into the country. EPA has an exemption for vehicles 21 years old WITH THE ORIGINAL ENGINE. It may go through, but technically it should not. (I know of a 76 rover that came in a few years ago with a non-original diesel and they did not even look at it).
Old October 23rd, 2007, 12:15 PM
fayd
Eric Panzer
1983 Defender 110

Got ya - thanks for the quick answer - explains why I couldn't find any emissions regs in the PA docs...
Old October 23rd, 2007, 01:38 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Different states might allow you to register and or smog a truck but dont you have to go through the feds to get the truck in the country? And if so wouldnt the motor in the vehicle that is being brought in have to be a motor that was DOT approved.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 04:55 PM
evilfij
evilfij

If it is more than 21 years old with the original motor, it falls under an EPA exemption. There was a post as to "What is Legal" that explains all of this.

Ron
Old October 24th, 2007, 08:18 AM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

21 or 25. I thought it had to be 25 years or is this a diesel exception?
Old October 24th, 2007, 08:38 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
21 is EPA, 25 is DOT.
Old October 27th, 2007, 12:24 PM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

so doesn't the 25 DOT trump the 21 EPA? what am I missing?
Old October 27th, 2007, 03:00 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
It doesnt trump it, it just is the more restrictive of the rules. It would make a difference for a vehicle that had a US approved body but not an EPA approved engine. i.e. - you'll be able to easily import a 1995 BMW M5 Wagon in 2016 instead of 2020, because the E34 BMW already on the DOT list. So at that point you can inport without having to do anything with the engine. There must be other examples, but that one came to mind first.
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

You would be hard pressed to put a decent 1983 rhd diesel 5 door wagon on american soil for 10k. LHD is whole different scenario in the uk but more reasonable in other countries. Current shipping rates roll on roll off with the exchange rate as it is is around 2k. Plus an unload fee, customs taxes, Dept of Ag. inspection fee. Thats the price after you have the vehilce pressured washed to insure 0 soil is clinging underneath, v5 and other ownership docs assembled and export paper work done, and the vehicle delivered to the docks @ Southampton. Now you need to add an agents fees- someone to pick up your purchase, clean it, deliver it to the docks, do the paper work etc..book it on the ship.

A very conservative estimate to import a 1983 into the Us based on Nov.15th pricing is $3650-$4000. This using insurance and taxation figures based on a $6.25k/3000lb purchase price. If you can find a diesel 5 door 1983 rhd in the Uk for under 3k lbs/$6200 good luck to you. Decent 5 door wagon gas trucks are going for more than that. 1983's are at premium ask any Uk car dealer- the Brits are fully aware of our want to import.

Container costs for non-running vehicles are much higher and the guy on the other side of the pond is going to want a pound a mile to trailer it to Southampton in addition to the money above.
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:44 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Well, to be honest, the more you guys say it costs to import one, the happier I feel about the price I paid for Janey so keep upping the amount .

Oh, and if anyone wants to import one to virginia, emissions are not an issue. When the inspection stations tries to pull up the VIN, it will show as "non-conforming". A quick visit to the DEQ will get you exemption papers.

charles
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:23 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Sweet news on the emissions there Charles, PA was going to make me do a sniffer test.

Ron
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:13 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

gotcha.. for some reason I though she had a conversion to diesel.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Crowther
You would be hard pressed to put a decent 1983 rhd diesel 5 door wagon on american soil for 10k. LHD is whole different scenario in the uk but more reasonable in other countries. Current shipping rates roll on roll off with the exchange rate as it is is around 2k. Plus an unload fee, customs taxes, Dept of Ag. inspection fee. Thats the price after you have the vehilce pressured washed to insure 0 soil is clinging underneath, v5 and other ownership docs assembled and export paper work done, and the vehicle delivered to the docks @ Southampton. Now you need to add an agents fees- someone to pick up your purchase, clean it, deliver it to the docks, do the paper work etc..book it on the ship.

A very conservative estimate to import a 1983 into the Us based on Nov.15th pricing is $3650-$4000. This using insurance and taxation figures based on a $6.25k/3000lb purchase price. If you can find a diesel 5 door 1983 rhd in the Uk for under 3k lbs/$6200 good luck to you. Decent 5 door wagon gas trucks are going for more than that. 1983's are at premium ask any Uk car dealer- the Brits are fully aware of our want to import.

Container costs for non-running vehicles are much higher and the guy on the other side of the pond is going to want a pound a mile to trailer it to Southampton in addition to the money above.
Yep that is exactly what it costs me every time. But ours are 15 year old ... canadian ... nice write up in one concise post.

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old November 16th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

Thanks- I thought it best to dispell the myth that this is easily and cheaply done with little risk with sight unseen vehicles.
George @ rds was telling me a recent grey market (euro import) 110 customs seizure story just the other day- theres no recourse- the US Govt now owns your truck.

As crazy fish said gfl or bon chance.
Old November 26th, 2007, 01:17 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Gavin, why did you delete it?

What you said is consistent with what a friend of mine told me about here experience importing a little citroen 2cv.
Old November 26th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Gventure
Gavin Foltz
'83 110; 2 95 RRCs; DII

Importing an '83 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Gavin, why did you delete it?

What you said is consistent with what a friend of mine told me about here experience importing a little citroen 2cv.
I have had a positive and inexpensive experience ($1500 total)(but help with friends in dealing with English motor authorities on admin issues) when I imported a '83 110 in September. I posted my experience here but then deleted it because I have seen several posts (maybe on a differnt site) where members trying to be helpful were blasted as unethical or even worse where some posters threatened to call the "authorities" on the helpful member because they did someting illegal. I deleted my thread because I don't need the grief. One member here PM'd me this afternoon and I talked to him for 20 minutes on how I did it - I'm certainly willing to help anyone - just PM me.

Gavin

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
import