Old September 14th, 2017, 02:30 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by csanter View Post
Seems the pacific ports have more leeway. The amount of JDM vehicles coming through ports with modifications, is 9 out of 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most all land rovers have modifications as well. I handle entries through all US ports and have found Customs to generaly be consistent. Original chassis and original engine series block are the two main things Customs/EPA/DOT focus on. New paint, alloy wheels, new seats and headliner are of little interest to them.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2017, 03:02 PM
broke1g
jeff
discovery 2 defender 90

Advice is hard to give on the importation of defenders. Most of the tips and tricks are things we have risked or learned by trial and error. If you are interested in bringing cars in follow the guidelines to the T. I have learned so much just observing what is in the port when i get mine.
Old October 7th, 2017, 10:28 AM
SPARTAN73
Rich MacFarlane
1997 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Most all land rovers have modifications as well. I handle entries through all US ports and have found Customs to generaly be consistent. Original chassis and original engine series block are the two main things Customs/EPA/DOT focus on. New paint, alloy wheels, new seats and headliner are of little interest to them.
So, what you're eluding to, is that I may very well have a slight chance of bringing back my 1997 NAS Defender 90 (Japan spec)?

Short story, I am stationed in Japan. I picked up a low mile 1997 NAS (LHD) Defender 90. After some research I discovered the born on date was October 6 1997. Yes, I am aware that the date must be September 1, 1997 or earlier to meet the silly importation rule prior to the 25 year mark.
However, this Defender I own is literally (exception for different seats) all original and all numbers match. Engine, Brake Booster plate, Chasis and VIN numbers all match. All the glass is original too with the DOT approvals. I also have the CA emissions sticker on the inside of the hood. The one damn thing I don't have, the sticker in the drivers footwell, and that's due to the born on date being past Sept 1, 1997.

I'm set to leave in 2018 or 2020 and would hate to have to put this in storage locally until October 2022 just to bring it back due to some silly US law that ultimately has no real meaning behind it. As if to say, My 1997 Defender will automagically be a safer vehicle to drive on the US roads in 2022 although it was already built to US spec back in 1997. :-/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2017, 11:54 AM
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
2-Door Diesel RRC

There are ways to bring in vehicles younger than 25 years. But it means you have to bring them up to US standards and you will have to work through a registered importer.

Waiting until it's 25 years old is the easy button.
Old October 7th, 2017, 02:01 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

To get that 97 Japan spec imported you’d have to get the US Congress to change the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act that required cars to have front airbags.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
import