Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old November 9th, 2016, 05:49 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariana View Post
I have a brazilian Defender 110 that I entered as I'm brazilian and was driving trough the country (we went to Alaska and now in California). I was thinking about sell the car here, as I need money to continue my worldwide trip and car needs a check up. Tuck is a 1998 300 Tdi, do you think it's possible sell it here? Thank you for your help.
Sell it as parts? You don't have the proper import documentation for the buyer to register/title in most states.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2016, 04:33 PM
broke1g
jeff
discovery 2 defender 90

I will buy it pm me
Old November 17th, 2016, 08:42 PM
Mariana
Mariana
1998/ Defender 110

Are you interested?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 24th, 2016, 10:38 AM
ewright
ernie
none

Incredibly informative thread; I just read through all 23 pages and everything conceivable thought or question I had was answered. Just want to say thanks to everyone for contributing!
Old January 28th, 2017, 05:28 AM
Realm
Lawrence
1989 110 v8

Registry
Spare Parts in Imported Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Customs has a new computer entry system called ACE.
They have been working on it for 15 years and took it live last month. With the introduction of that new system
and the changes in procedures etc there have been lots of publications. Attached is a flier pertaining to parts-ie what
DOT has interest in. I thought it may be of help to some here. Please keep in mind this applys to separate parts shipments and
do not pertain to vehicle imports. For instance, if you want to bring in roof sides or take off doors you had better get pictures of the glass codes
on the glass before purchase and have whomever you are working with check them in the system or you will have a problem, since there is no access to freight once it ships and the information is required to get a release. Not new rules just a better system -ie other agencies can input into the entry screen like epa/dot/dept of ag. The list of agencies tied in was quite long.
Doug,
Any experience with CBP and shipping spare parts in the back of an imported vehicle? For example, parts needed for a LHD conversion shipped in boxes in the back of a 110.
Old January 28th, 2017, 06:28 AM
pizzamaker_8888
Paul
None

Replacing Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Nope, this is just DOT enforcing the code/law. Glass must be dot approved, as must seat belts, flexible brake lines, lights, wheels, and tires. If they aren't 25yrs old or aren't DOT approved they cannot come here.
Problem is once they go in a box or crate no one but customs has access to look @ tags, codes etc. The new system links a host of agencies to Customs computer system. Ie most any federal agency can access your entry real time.
Does any of this apply to replacement parts that are on the vehicle already prior to shipment from the UK to the US? Or is this just in regards to separate parts you are having shipped?
Old January 28th, 2017, 08:22 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzamaker_8888 View Post
Does any of this apply to replacement parts that are on the vehicle already prior to shipment from the UK to the US? Or is this just in regards to separate parts you are having shipped?
That's a roll of the dice as best I can tell. Frame, engine, configuration seem to be most important
Old February 16th, 2017, 02:52 AM
Realm
Lawrence
1989 110 v8

Registry
UK v5 ownership docs

I am purchasing a defender from a private seller in the UK through a third party (a friend). I have the option of putting my name on the v5 ownership documents from the sale, and mailing in to get a v5 with my name on it, or instead putting the third party's name and then he would transfer ownership to me when he exports.

Looking for any concerns with either option for import to the US or generating title/registration in Florida.

Thanks!
Old February 16th, 2017, 03:33 AM
MyLeftyLandies
Gary Patterson
1990 LHD Tithonus

If you have a UK address, then it may be easiest to have the V5 in your name at your UK address. If you have time for the paper trail process, transfer the V5 to your friend, then if you have any issues with the paperwork in the US, you can always call him, ask him to sign, confirm etc Otherwise (having just done this myself) have the seller sign and send you the complete V5 document and have him write a letter to the DVLA with the all the details VIN etc (or even a photocopy of the log book) informing them of the export. Dont just use the section on the V5 to notify the export. Having stood in the inspection office and then a local DMV tax office to title it in the US it was all much easier having the complete V5 document to hand.

Hope that helps
Old February 16th, 2017, 04:57 AM
Realm
Lawrence
1989 110 v8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLeftyLandies View Post
If you have a UK address, then it may be easiest to have the V5 in your name at your UK address. If you have time for the paper trail process, transfer the V5 to your friend, then if you have any issues with the paperwork in the US, you can always call him, ask him to sign, confirm etc Otherwise (having just done this myself) have the seller sign and send you the complete V5 document and have him write a letter to the DVLA with the all the details VIN etc (or even a photocopy of the log book) informing them of the export. Dont just use the section on the V5 to notify the export. Having stood in the inspection office and then a local DMV tax office to title it in the US it was all much easier having the complete V5 document to hand.

Hope that helps

Helps, thanks - my UK address would be my friend's address ... any issues there?
Old February 16th, 2017, 05:16 AM
MyLeftyLandies
Gary Patterson
1990 LHD Tithonus

Dont know. I'd be guessing I'm afraid. Although its hard to think why that would be a problem.
Old March 12th, 2017, 03:37 PM
MW469
Marcus Whitaker
1990 defender 110

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-745188249.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	217145 Think I could get away with an Icarus Alucab roof conversion, on an otherwise original 110, done prior to export from the U.K.

That's not mine but it would look similar when not deployed.
Old April 12th, 2017, 01:38 PM
aussierover
john gill
2006/L322

Registry
Import Australia. One for the guru's

So I am looking at 1982 109 Wagon currently for sale in Australia. The vin shows it it left the factory with a 3.5 V8. The seller has listed it with a 3.9 Isuzu diesel. After a lengthy conversation with the seller he states that this is was one of 6 that were a prototype that were fitted with a Isuzu by JR Australia on arrival. They were then delivered to the Australian Army as part of the trails for the perentie project. The Australian compliance plate fitted shows the Isuzu.
He says JR Australia has it documented as being the case.
My question is will this be denied entry by customs ??
Any advise welcome
thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	109diesel.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	228761  
Old April 12th, 2017, 01:50 PM
roverguy2
Brian Morton
1991 Defender 110 "Blanca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussierover View Post
So I am looking at 1982 109 Wagon currently for sale in Australia. The vin shows it it left the factory with a 3.5 V8. The seller has listed it with a 3.9 Isuzu diesel. After a lengthy conversation with the seller he states that this is was one of 6 that were a prototype that were fitted with a Isuzu by JR Australia on arrival. They were then delivered to the Australian Army as part of the trails for the perentie project. The Australian compliance plate fitted shows the Isuzu.
Any advise welcome
thanks in advance
Gather all the documentation you can from the original sources and you may be able to pass it through the system. Never take someones word but get it in official documentation. Lots of Rovers stories but importation process doesn't care about stories.
Old April 12th, 2017, 02:15 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussierover View Post
Any advise welcome
thanks in advance
I smell bull on this one.
Old April 12th, 2017, 02:32 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
If I had to guess customs is going to decode VIN, see that it was supposed to be fitted with a 3.5 v8 and pork you.

But thats just a guess, maybe they would use the support documentation but its unlikely they will give 2 shits about the paperwork...
Old April 12th, 2017, 02:49 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Like this...

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...sel-85009.html

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 12th, 2017, 02:53 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/series-ii...is-1982-a.html

Quote:
The VIN says it's a V8, but in lettering above the VIN says 4cyl diesel. Understand they were flat packed from UK without the V8. On arrival Land Rover Aust put the diesel in.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 12th, 2017, 03:34 PM
aussierover
john gill
2006/L322

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post

thanks John. Thats good info

------ Follow up post added April 12th, 2017 03:38 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPT90 View Post
If I had to guess customs is going to decode VIN, see that it was supposed to be fitted with a 3.5 v8 and pork you.

But thats just a guess, maybe they would use the support documentation but its unlikely they will give 2 shits about the paperwork...
Im going to write to customs and include all the documentation I can get from JRA Australia together with pics of both the vin plate and Australian compliance plate showing the diesel.
If I can get confirmation in writing in advance then I might pull the trigger on it.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 11:26 AM
vanroth
Justin
SIII

My company relocated me to the UK for the next year and I've take the full opportunity to purchase a very nice (and bone stock) '93 110 CSW. She won't be ready for export until next year, but in the meantime I plan on a few upgrades while I'm enjoying the English country-side here.

I do want to ensure that the truck will continue to be legal, so I'm keeping the modifications as minimal as possible. Any concerns with the following?

- LT77 to R380 (my biggest import worry)
- Replace steelies with alloys
- New interior (exmoor seats, headliner and carpeting)
- roof rack
- TD5 dash
- intercooler upgrades
- various minor cosmetic mods

Any thoughts on the best way to ship back spares (i.e. my original steelies, etc) and parts I pick up here? I'm assuming CBP has a dim look on loaded trunks.

thanks,
-vanroth

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
import