Whats legal? Frame Swaps, Importing, etc - Page 20 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old June 20th, 2015, 11:42 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Junkyard or EBay UK would be where I would look. Should be very inexpensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
it totally depends on how your truck was converted. if they put the 300tdi in front of the original trans or put a whole 300tdi-specific drivetrain in.

cr does not need to run to be imported so you could just put the engine in and ratchet strap it in place, import it as a non runner. Costs a few extra pennies to tow on and off the boat but probably less than paying someone to do a full conversion twice.

The long and short bellhousings arent a straight swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayonet16 View Post
Thanks for your reply. I do have the motor mounts -- purchased by the previous owner. He stated they were pretty expensive. How would I source a short bell housing? Quick search comes up with a lot of r380j noise.

Thank again

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old June 20th, 2015, 12:13 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Motor mounts are cheap. The frame brackets are $100-120 bucks but not expensive.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2015, 12:39 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Frame mounts are what I was talking about, not motor mounts. Sorry for the confusion.
Old June 20th, 2015, 01:53 PM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

If it's a runner let the government ship it, unless you're shipping two POV's and the other vehicle is bigger. I let them ship my 110 and it sailed right thru. I privately shipped our 2006 US spec MINI and had a little back and forth at the port before it was released.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Old June 20th, 2015, 05:05 PM
Bayonet16
Ed
1984/110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
it totally depends on how your truck was converted. if they put the 300tdi in front of the original trans or put a whole 300tdi-specific drivetrain in.

cr does not need to run to be imported so you could just put the engine in and ratchet strap it in place, import it as a non runner. Costs a few extra pennies to tow on and off the boat but probably less than paying someone to do a full conversion twice.

The long and short bellhousings arent a straight swap.

Thanks. Fairly certain it is the original trans that was coupled with the 12J-- has the appropriate 50A code for an early model year LT77.

The post I'm stationed on has a great auto skills center, so I would just drop it in myself about 4 months prior to export. That way, if I run into any problems, I can fix it, or have it fixed, before we move. Doing the work myself, assuming I have most of the parts to do this, how much do you think it will cost?

Please tell me more about the long/short bellhousing and their incompatibility.

Thanks
Old June 20th, 2015, 07:04 PM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,96 D1 5speed,08 RRS

Registry
Check on the runner/not runner thing if you are going to use the Gov Shipping. My 110 had to be running under its own power for the Gov to ship it from Bahrain. Luckily I was able to get a LT77 replaced for cheap out there.
Old June 21st, 2015, 11:43 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
there's a long answer and short answer. Short answer is that if the front of your engine is just a few inches from the rad then you probably have a long bellhousing. If it's about a foot back from the rad, you have a short bellhousing.

Yes frame mounts are cheap but getting them cut off and welded on and twice doesn't really worth it IMO when there are other ways to secure the engine in the chassis. Unless Uncle Douglas knos something about that that says otherwise, like maybe they want to see the chassis unmodified or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayonet16 View Post
Thanks. Fairly certain it is the original trans that was coupled with the 12J-- has the appropriate 50A code for an early model year LT77.

The post I'm stationed on has a great auto skills center, so I would just drop it in myself about 4 months prior to export. That way, if I run into any problems, I can fix it, or have it fixed, before we move. Doing the work myself, assuming I have most of the parts to do this, how much do you think it will cost?

Please tell me more about the long/short bellhousing and their incompatibility.

Thanks

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old June 29th, 2015, 12:38 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 2-carb'd V8 4-speed 110 LHD SW

I'm looking at a 110 that has had the vin relocated ( " restriked " actually, & the original is defaced) to the side of the frame forward of the right rear wheel. I'm told that this is done by the Dutch dmv (known as "the RDW") for vehicles with illegible vins. Is anyone aware of these Hollandaise scenarios? If yes, once registered in the U.S., is it a known issue for long term re-registerability here? IE, is there a known risk that some dmv bureaucrat somewhere will eventually indulge a whim to impound it over this?
Old June 29th, 2015, 05:37 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
I'm looking at a 110 that has had the vin relocated ( " restriked " actually, & the original is defaced) to the side of the frame forward of the right rear wheel. I'm told that this is done by the Dutch dmv (known as "the RDW") for vehicles with illegible vins. Is anyone aware of these Hollandaise scenarios? If yes, once registered in the U.S., is it a known issue for long term re-registerability here? IE, is there a known risk that some dmv bureaucrat somewhere will eventually indulge a whim to impound it over this?
I'm sure you'd be ok if you had full notarized, translated Dutch documentation for this process and an understanding intelligent DMV person that understands the nuances of foreign countries. YRMV
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 12th, 2015, 02:27 PM
uncbsba
Jason Hilton
None

Looking for guidance on importing a 74 S3 from Canada. Has anyone been through this? The truck is a deal, just not sure if the importing is worth the headache. Any good transport/customs companies that anyone's used? Thanks!
Old July 17th, 2015, 10:58 AM
knab
Brandon Donald
97 ST, few RRCs, P38 HSE

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere (I've read this long thread a few times over the years and think it may have been, but can't find it). If a Canadian is visiting the US, are they allowed to have their vehicle in the US with them as long as they are legally in the US? Is there a limit on how long the vehicle can stay in the US that is separate from how long the person can stay here? What about a dual-citizen with homes in both countries? In that case, I assume a Canadian couldn't just leave a Canadian car at their US home, but could they take it back and forth if they spend the winters here? Thinking about something like a 1996 Defender, 1994 S50 M3, Ghibli II, or the like that we can't have here. Any info is appreciated.
Old July 17th, 2015, 11:01 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Pretty sure it has to leave once a year.
Old July 17th, 2015, 11:19 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Canadians can cross the border with their vehicles @ will. DAS runs semi loads of them up and down 95 for snowbirds annually. Most Canadian insurer's have an issue with a vehicle outside the Canadian borders for any extent of time so check with yours

------ Follow up post added July 17th, 2015 12:23 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
ANY vin stamping other than by land rover employee's @ Solihull will be termed VIN tampering and be denied entry regardless of who did it. Move on to another truck.

The reason left hand drive conversions are not admissible here is because simply moving the brake booster with VIN plate from one side of the truck to the other is considered VIN tampering by DOT, no other reason.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old July 18th, 2015, 07:24 AM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
The reason left hand drive conversions are not admissible here is because simply moving the brake booster with VIN plate from one side of the truck to the other is considered VIN tampering by DOT, no other reason.

So the loophole for importing a RHD to LHD conversion would be to leave the RHD brake pedal tower in place. You would have to leave out a heater but only temporarily

So crazy it just might work? Have you ever asked about this Doug?
Old July 29th, 2015, 12:47 PM
homer8588
brandon
1988 Perentie

just got mine in she loves the sun here in az
Old July 29th, 2015, 01:08 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post
So the loophole for importing a RHD to LHD conversion would be to leave the RHD brake pedal tower in place. You would have to leave out a heater but only temporarily

So crazy it just might work? Have you ever asked about this Doug?
Nope. Pushing the envelope is foolish and its up to the individual officer handling your entry.
Get one opinion in advance from someone sitting @ a desk before shipping and get a completely scenario when dealing with the entry officer. Just not worth the heart ache.

------ Follow up post added July 29th, 2015 02:09 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer8588 View Post
just got mine in she loves the sun here in az
From Matt @ KLR ?

Dividing Creek Imports

Old July 29th, 2015, 01:30 PM
homer8588
brandon
1988 Perentie

matt="top bloke"
Old November 16th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Soleimh
Joseph
94/D90

A nuanced situation that I need help with: I live in CA but am looking at a D90 imported into the US via Vermont. The truck apparently came off the boat inoperable. The importer claimed no responsibility to the buyer and the buyer and importer had a falling out, so apparently the original DOT and EPA documentation from import is unavailable. Notwithstanding the car has been registered in North Carolina.

This buyer, then proceeded to upgrade the engine with a Disco engine and replaced the manual with an automatic Disco tranny from the same donor car.

I live in CA and I am concerned (1) about the ability to get this truck registered in CA (it is a V8 with catalytic converters, though); and (2) about the sanity of such a engine/tranny swap.

Any feedback/insight?

Thank you,
Joseph
Old November 16th, 2015, 02:17 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleimh View Post
A nuanced situation that I need help with: I live in CA but am looking at a D90 imported into the US via Vermont. The truck apparently came off the boat inoperable. The importer claimed no responsibility to the buyer and the buyer and importer had a falling out, so apparently the original DOT and EPA documentation from import is unavailable. Notwithstanding the car has been registered in North Carolina.

This buyer, then proceeded to upgrade the engine with a Disco engine and replaced the manual with an automatic Disco tranny from the same donor car.

I live in CA and I am concerned (1) about the ability to get this truck registered in CA (it is a V8 with catalytic converters, though); and (2) about the sanity of such a engine/tranny swap.

Any feedback/insight?

Thank you,
Joseph
Yeah, I would be too. What's it selling for? Seems like a nightmare of uncertain outcomes. There's plenty of good solid legal trucks here with proper documentation. My advice would be to spend you time and effort looking for the right one and pull the trigger.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
import