Whats legal? Frame Swaps, Importing, etc - Page 20 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #381  
Old June 20th, 2015, 11:42 AM
javelinadave
Status: Offline
-
-
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: -
Posts: 5,397
Junkyard or EBay UK would be where I would look. Should be very inexpensive.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #382  
Old June 20th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Ren Ching's Avatar
Ren Ching
Status: Offline
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Downtown
Posts: 4,672
Registry
it totally depends on how your truck was converted. if they put the 300tdi in front of the original trans or put a whole 300tdi-specific drivetrain in.

cr does not need to run to be imported so you could just put the engine in and ratchet strap it in place, import it as a non runner. Costs a few extra pennies to tow on and off the boat but probably less than paying someone to do a full conversion twice.

The long and short bellhousings arent a straight swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayonet16 View Post
Thanks for your reply. I do have the motor mounts -- purchased by the previous owner. He stated they were pretty expensive. How would I source a short bell housing? Quick search comes up with a lot of r380j noise.

Thank again
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Reply With Quote
  #383  
Old June 20th, 2015, 12:13 PM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Offline
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,436
Registry
Motor mounts are cheap. The frame brackets are $100-120 bucks but not expensive.
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #384  
Old June 20th, 2015, 12:39 PM
javelinadave
Status: Offline
-
-
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: -
Posts: 5,397
Frame mounts are what I was talking about, not motor mounts. Sorry for the confusion.
Reply With Quote
  #385  
Old June 20th, 2015, 01:53 PM
CMSgt Bo's Avatar
CMSgt Bo
Status: Offline
Bo
1985 One Ten
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Banner Elk NC
Posts: 682
If it's a runner let the government ship it, unless you're shipping two POV's and the other vehicle is bigger. I let them ship my 110 and it sailed right thru. I privately shipped our 2006 US spec MINI and had a little back and forth at the port before it was released.
__________________
Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Reply With Quote
  #386  
Old June 20th, 2015, 05:05 PM
Bayonet16's Avatar
Bayonet16
Status: Offline
Ed
1984/110
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
it totally depends on how your truck was converted. if they put the 300tdi in front of the original trans or put a whole 300tdi-specific drivetrain in.

cr does not need to run to be imported so you could just put the engine in and ratchet strap it in place, import it as a non runner. Costs a few extra pennies to tow on and off the boat but probably less than paying someone to do a full conversion twice.

The long and short bellhousings arent a straight swap.

Thanks. Fairly certain it is the original trans that was coupled with the 12J-- has the appropriate 50A code for an early model year LT77.


The post I'm stationed on has a great auto skills center, so I would just drop it in myself about 4 months prior to export. That way, if I run into any problems, I can fix it, or have it fixed, before we move. Doing the work myself, assuming I have most of the parts to do this, how much do you think it will cost?


Please tell me more about the long/short bellhousing and their incompatibility.


Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #387  
Old June 20th, 2015, 07:04 PM
red64chevelle
Status: Offline
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,96 D1 5speed,08 RRS
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Coventry, RI
Posts: 421
Registry
Check on the runner/not runner thing if you are going to use the Gov Shipping. My 110 had to be running under its own power for the Gov to ship it from Bahrain. Luckily I was able to get a LT77 replaced for cheap out there.
__________________
75% of all Land Rovers ever made are still on the road...
the other 25% at least made it home.
Reply With Quote
  #388  
Old June 21st, 2015, 11:43 AM
Ren Ching's Avatar
Ren Ching
Status: Offline
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Downtown
Posts: 4,672
Registry
there's a long answer and short answer. Short answer is that if the front of your engine is just a few inches from the rad then you probably have a long bellhousing. If it's about a foot back from the rad, you have a short bellhousing.

Yes frame mounts are cheap but getting them cut off and welded on and twice doesn't really worth it IMO when there are other ways to secure the engine in the chassis. Unless Uncle Douglas knos something about that that says otherwise, like maybe they want to see the chassis unmodified or something.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayonet16 View Post
Thanks. Fairly certain it is the original trans that was coupled with the 12J-- has the appropriate 50A code for an early model year LT77.


The post I'm stationed on has a great auto skills center, so I would just drop it in myself about 4 months prior to export. That way, if I run into any problems, I can fix it, or have it fixed, before we move. Doing the work myself, assuming I have most of the parts to do this, how much do you think it will cost?


Please tell me more about the long/short bellhousing and their incompatibility.


Thanks
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Reply With Quote
  #389  
Old June 29th, 2015, 12:38 PM
cowboy
Status: Offline
steven
'84 2-carb'd V8 4-speed 110 LHD SW
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 456
I'm looking at a 110 that has had the vin relocated ( " restriked " actually, & the original is defaced) to the side of the frame forward of the right rear wheel. I'm told that this is done by the Dutch dmv (known as "the RDW") for vehicles with illegible vins. Is anyone aware of these Hollandaise scenarios? If yes, once registered in the U.S., is it a known issue for long term re-registerability here? IE, is there a known risk that some dmv bureaucrat somewhere will eventually indulge a whim to impound it over this?
Reply With Quote
  #390  
Old June 29th, 2015, 05:37 PM
leastonce's Avatar
leastonce
Status: Offline
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,074
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
I'm looking at a 110 that has had the vin relocated ( " restriked " actually, & the original is defaced) to the side of the frame forward of the right rear wheel. I'm told that this is done by the Dutch dmv (known as "the RDW") for vehicles with illegible vins. Is anyone aware of these Hollandaise scenarios? If yes, once registered in the U.S., is it a known issue for long term re-registerability here? IE, is there a known risk that some dmv bureaucrat somewhere will eventually indulge a whim to impound it over this?
I'm sure you'd be ok if you had full notarized, translated Dutch documentation for this process and an understanding intelligent DMV person that understands the nuances of foreign countries. YRMV
__________________
Quote:
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Reply With Quote
  #391  
Old July 12th, 2015, 02:27 PM
uncbsba
Status: Offline
Jason Hilton
None
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 6
Looking for guidance on importing a 74 S3 from Canada. Has anyone been through this? The truck is a deal, just not sure if the importing is worth the headache. Any good transport/customs companies that anyone's used? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #392  
Old July 17th, 2015, 10:58 AM
knab's Avatar
knab
Status: Offline
Brandon Donald
97 ST, few RRCs, P38 HSE
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Posts: 114
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere (I've read this long thread a few times over the years and think it may have been, but can't find it). If a Canadian is visiting the US, are they allowed to have their vehicle in the US with them as long as they are legally in the US? Is there a limit on how long the vehicle can stay in the US that is separate from how long the person can stay here? What about a dual-citizen with homes in both countries? In that case, I assume a Canadian couldn't just leave a Canadian car at their US home, but could they take it back and forth if they spend the winters here? Thinking about something like a 1996 Defender, 1994 S50 M3, Ghibli II, or the like that we can't have here. Any info is appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #393  
Old July 17th, 2015, 11:01 AM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,677
Pretty sure it has to leave once a year.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #394  
Old July 17th, 2015, 11:19 AM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Offline
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,436
Registry
Canadians can cross the border with their vehicles @ will. DAS runs semi loads of them up and down 95 for snowbirds annually. Most Canadian insurer's have an issue with a vehicle outside the Canadian borders for any extent of time so check with yours

------ Follow up post added July 17th, 2015 12:23 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
I'm looking at a 110 that has had the vin relocated ( " restriked " actually, & the original is defaced) to the side of the frame forward of the right rear wheel. I'm told that this is done by the Dutch dmv (known as "the RDW") for vehicles with illegible vins. Is anyone aware of these Hollandaise scenarios? If yes, once registered in the U.S., is it a known issue for long term re-registerability here? IE, is there a known risk that some dmv bureaucrat somewhere will eventually indulge a whim to impound it over this?
ANY vin stamping other than by land rover employee's @ Solihull will be termed VIN tampering and be denied entry regardless of who did it. Move on to another truck.

The reason left hand drive conversions are not admissible here is because simply moving the brake booster with VIN plate from one side of the truck to the other is considered VIN tampering by DOT, no other reason.
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #395  
Old July 18th, 2015, 07:24 AM
broadstone's Avatar
broadstone
Status: Offline
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dorset UK / CT USA
Posts: 635
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
The reason left hand drive conversions are not admissible here is because simply moving the brake booster with VIN plate from one side of the truck to the other is considered VIN tampering by DOT, no other reason.

So the loophole for importing a RHD to LHD conversion would be to leave the RHD brake pedal tower in place. You would have to leave out a heater but only temporarily

So crazy it just might work? Have you ever asked about this Doug?
__________________
Patches are for Pirates and pants, not a bulkhead and chassis!
Reply With Quote
  #396  
Old July 29th, 2015, 12:47 PM
homer8588
Status: Offline
brandon
1988 Perentie
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: phoenix az maricopa
Posts: 26
just got mine in she loves the sun here in az
Reply With Quote
  #397  
Old July 29th, 2015, 01:08 PM
Uncle Douglas's Avatar
Uncle Douglas
Status: Offline
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gods Country- Central Virginia
Posts: 11,436
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post
So the loophole for importing a RHD to LHD conversion would be to leave the RHD brake pedal tower in place. You would have to leave out a heater but only temporarily

So crazy it just might work? Have you ever asked about this Doug?
Nope. Pushing the envelope is foolish and its up to the individual officer handling your entry.
Get one opinion in advance from someone sitting @ a desk before shipping and get a completely scenario when dealing with the entry officer. Just not worth the heart ache.

------ Follow up post added July 29th, 2015 02:09 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer8588 View Post
just got mine in she loves the sun here in az
From Matt @ KLR ?
__________________
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

410.693.1391


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #398  
Old July 29th, 2015, 01:30 PM
homer8588
Status: Offline
brandon
1988 Perentie
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: phoenix az maricopa
Posts: 26
matt="top bloke"
Reply With Quote
  #399  
Old November 16th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Soleimh
Status: Offline
Joseph
94/D90
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Malibu, CA, USA
Posts: 19
A nuanced situation that I need help with: I live in CA but am looking at a D90 imported into the US via Vermont. The truck apparently came off the boat inoperable. The importer claimed no responsibility to the buyer and the buyer and importer had a falling out, so apparently the original DOT and EPA documentation from import is unavailable. Notwithstanding the car has been registered in North Carolina.

This buyer, then proceeded to upgrade the engine with a Disco engine and replaced the manual with an automatic Disco tranny from the same donor car.

I live in CA and I am concerned (1) about the ability to get this truck registered in CA (it is a V8 with catalytic converters, though); and (2) about the sanity of such a engine/tranny swap.

Any feedback/insight?

Thank you,
Joseph
Reply With Quote
  #400  
Old November 16th, 2015, 02:17 PM
1of40's Avatar
1of40
Status: Offline
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Potomac Falls & Wintergreen, Virginia
Posts: 5,535
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleimh View Post
A nuanced situation that I need help with: I live in CA but am looking at a D90 imported into the US via Vermont. The truck apparently came off the boat inoperable. The importer claimed no responsibility to the buyer and the buyer and importer had a falling out, so apparently the original DOT and EPA documentation from import is unavailable. Notwithstanding the car has been registered in North Carolina.

This buyer, then proceeded to upgrade the engine with a Disco engine and replaced the manual with an automatic Disco tranny from the same donor car.

I live in CA and I am concerned (1) about the ability to get this truck registered in CA (it is a V8 with catalytic converters, though); and (2) about the sanity of such a engine/tranny swap.

Any feedback/insight?

Thank you,
Joseph
Yeah, I would be too. What's it selling for? Seems like a nightmare of uncertain outcomes. There's plenty of good solid legal trucks here with proper documentation. My advice would be to spend you time and effort looking for the right one and pull the trigger.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
import

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How straight is a typical Defender frame? madcowdungbeetle Defender Technical Discussions 9 August 22nd, 2009 04:43 PM
Rear A-Arm Frame Brackets..etc TDI Guy Wanted 14 February 16th, 2006 08:15 AM
109 Galvanized Frame Coiler For Sale - Parts 1 December 29th, 2005 10:53 PM
95 Defender 90 frame and ST roll cage crobinson For Sale - Parts 6 November 24th, 2005 11:46 AM
looking for seat frame jcasteel Wanted 0 July 19th, 2005 08:55 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 AM.


Copyright