Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 20th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Bump for all those who are thinking about importing a defender.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2014, 09:31 PM
clthonraltam
Matt Murphy
None

Is something like this rover acceptable? Or is it too upgraded? Could I drive it across the border?

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Land+Rov...O&orup=8_15_19
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2014, 09:42 PM
byrnecc
Conor
1986 ex-mod 110

Registry
no, no it cannot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2014, 09:46 PM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by clthonraltam View Post
Is something like this rover acceptable? Or is it too upgraded? Could I drive it across the border?

Good luck with that. New galvy chasis, 300 Tdi motor, push button doors, Left Hand Drive, boost wheels…any one of those things could get it seized at the port or turned around at the border.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Old August 19th, 2014, 10:09 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:

This thread exists so that you can educate yourself on what is and isn't legal.
You clearly have zero investiture in that process.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 19th, 2014, 11:12 PM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
He could drive over the border with out any problems. The following is what he needs:
1- passport from the country he's coming from (other than a US passport)
2- drivers license from that country (not USA)
3- truck has to be reg., insured, and have valid plates from that country (not USA)
Old August 19th, 2014, 11:15 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by couga861900 View Post
He could drive over the border with out any problems. The following is what he needs:
3- truck has to be reg., insured, and have valid plates from that country (not USA)
Since he's in Tampa Fl the rest of us assumed he meant to buy and legally import it as opposed to have a non-resident drive it across the border.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old August 20th, 2014, 04:22 AM
clthonraltam
Matt Murphy
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by couga861900 View Post
So it is possible. Thanks for the info
Old August 20th, 2014, 04:46 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
So it is possible. Thanks for the info
Yes it's possible to drive a car on us roads without us plates... I see it all the time in New England (O canada!)

You just won't be able to reg, ins, title it in the USA, o and I believe it has to be exported after a year orrrrr else!
Old August 20th, 2014, 05:59 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I sent him a PM because he's clearly just trying to piss people off.
Old August 20th, 2014, 10:40 AM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

I know this is NOT true but was wondering if you guys ever heard of it. I talked to a rover parts vendor today who swears that (because of a treaty) any vehicle that's legal in Canada is legal to import into a US border state (i.e. a 16 yr old Defender) if you reside in that state. I told him I think he's wrong and that I wouldn't try it. Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of that before.
Old August 20th, 2014, 10:43 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Ten View Post
I know this is NOT true but was wondering if you guys ever heard of it. I talked to a rover parts vendor today who swears that (because of a treaty) any vehicle that's legal in Canada is legal to import into a US border state (i.e. a 16 yr old Defender) if you reside in that state. I told him I think he's wrong and that I wouldn't try it. Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of that before.
Please post treaty.
Old September 21st, 2014, 02:34 PM
sp543
Shawn
None

If I am importing a defender from the UK into a US port, what is the required paperwork needed for it to be completely legal? And is this paperwork presented to customs when you go to pick up the vehicle? Read the entire thread and have been looking online but have been getting mixed and mismatched information.
Thanks
Old September 21st, 2014, 02:43 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp543 View Post
If I am importing a defender from the UK into a US port, what is the required paperwork needed for it to be completely legal? And is this paperwork presented to customs when you go to pick up the vehicle? Read the entire thread and have been looking online but have been getting mixed and mismatched information. Thanks
Consult a professional.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 26th, 2014, 12:22 PM
edemusmaximus
Ed O
1990 Defender 90 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Traded emails with the Chief of Import Compliance Enforcement @ DOT today.

I would highly recommend no one try to import a truck on a galvanized chassis.

I had emailed for a forum member who has a truck with an original chassis that has been galvanized but the original stampings are still legible. He suggested I would have trouble.

The jig is up for those importing non original Land Rovers.

Would this apply to all parts of the chassis? What if the cross members were replaced?

Are stainless steel hinge bolts ok? Is the DOT looking for a little rust in order to be comfortable? I have my completely stock 1990 here in the UK that I plan on taking back with me next year, but there is some rust under the doors, and the hinges need some attention. Are these issues I should absolutely avoid addressing?
Old January 24th, 2015, 03:07 AM
edemusmaximus
Ed O
1990 Defender 90 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by edemusmaximus View Post
Would this apply to all parts of the chassis? What if the cross members were replaced?

Are stainless steel hinge bolts ok? Is the DOT looking for a little rust in order to be comfortable? I have my completely stock 1990 here in the UK that I plan on taking back with me next year, but there is some rust under the doors, and the hinges need some attention. Are these issues I should absolutely avoid addressing?

After investing more time on this thread and scrutinizing member's posts a little better, I no longer need a reply to this question.

Also, is it ok to import a 2014 D130 to the US? Just kidding But seriously, please ignore that previous question...I'm good.
Old May 19th, 2015, 07:51 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Been getting many pm's from forum members asking about 1997 90's from Japan and Dubai.
After looking up over 30 VIN's for forum members, and preparing export/shipping/import quotes, none of which has materialized, I decided to simply post DOT's list to save myself the time and allow members to educate themselves.

This is the full document,
Please read the first two pages and then scroll through the different manufacturers to Land Rover.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/elig010807.pdf

Dividing Creek Imports

Old June 20th, 2015, 10:34 AM
Bayonet16
Ed
1984/110

Totally new here. Great resource. I'm stationed in Germany and just bought a 1984 110 LHD from a fellow Soldier. LOVE IT!!!! Even if I can't get it back to the states, at least I have the experience of driving this classic around for a year --- just awesome! The previous owner imported it from the Netherlands in 2014 (NL import paperwork was included in our transaction). He said the children of the Dutch family cried when he drove it away. Apparently these vehicles create a fairly strong emotional attachment. I'm feeling it already.

VIN on brake booster and frame match. Decoded: 1984/110/Station Wagon/12J/LT77/LHD. Currently has a 300 TDI in it, but I bought a NAD 12J with the truck. It is NOT the original engine, but it IS the model called for in the VIN decoded above. The vehicle has all the usual issues (rusty door sills/light frame rust/repaired or patched rear x-member), but other than that, it is in decent shape, runs like a champ and passed our local cursory military inspection: lights/horn/exhaust/brakes/mirrors/wipers/tires etc.

So, given this information, and the fact that I plan to drop the 12J into it before attempting to ship home, what are the risks?

1. Does the 12J serial number have to match some paperwork associated (original) with the truck?
2. If it does, I don't have said paperwork. Does it make sense to get a document from Land Rover, or perhaps the heritage site to ensure all documentation is legit?
3. Should I try to import myself? Not super interested in paying someone to do it. Not being stingy, but if the truck is legit, I should be able to do this relatively easy -- maybe.
4. Assume the bolt pattern on the LT77 is the same for both the 300 TDI and the 12J NAD?
5. The 12J has a rebuilt head and the previous owner said the bottom half looked good upon inspection. Should I look at anything else? Should it just drop right in?

*Note: I plan on shipping the 300 TDI back in my household goods, so I'll have the option to drop it back in later.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.
Old June 20th, 2015, 10:46 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Ed,
The serial number of the engine does not have to match. The 300Tdi uses different motor mounts so hopefully the old ones are still installed. Also the bell housing for the 12J is shorter and you will need that but it should bolt right up to the tranny. Contact Uncle Douglas thru the board and he can assist you thru the entire process.
Good luck!
Old June 20th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Bayonet16
Ed
1984/110

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Ed,
The serial number of the engine does not have to match. The 300Tdi uses different motor mounts so hopefully the old ones are still installed. Also the bell housing for the 12J is shorter and you will need that but it should bolt right up to the tranny. Contact Uncle Douglas thru the board and he can assist you thru the entire process.
Good luck!
Thanks for your reply. I do have the motor mounts -- purchased by the previous owner. He stated they were pretty expensive. How would I source a short bell housing? Quick search comes up with a lot of r380j noise.

Thank again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
import