1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanDiesel View Post
What is Uncle Douglas web site?
http://www.dividingcreekimports.com/

It is in his signature....

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2013, 03:31 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbronco View Post
if I were to buy a 85 110 LHD complete stock would I be able to find insurance companies that would insure the vehicle and if so has there been precedent of major accidents covering these vehicles? Please share your experience in the matter and what insurance companies have historically been good to the rover community.
This is not the appropriate space for this discussion. Search the word insurance using the handy search function on his forum, and you'll find some good to great recommendations. Considering there are a ton of 1980s Defenders in the US at this point, and that it is a requirement to have insurance in order to drive on the roads, there must be quite a few agencies still insuring these vehicles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2013, 03:30 PM
280sl
Adam
2005 L322

Gear Box Changes

Hi, I've done some reading and have a specific question about import to USA and gear box changes.

Would there be a problem with a 1985 2.5NA which was born a 5 speed LT77 being imported if the Euro owner installed a brand new or brand new rebuilt 5 speed prior to import. The vehicle would be the same configuration (5 speed) but the new gear box's manufacture date would be recent.

Also, would there be an issue if the vehicle was born with a LT77"D" gearbox and the new was a LT77"S" box or even a swap to a R380 box.

I spoke to the EPA help line and was told that customs will check to see if the vehicle was manufactured a 5 speed and as long as it still was a 5 speed it would be fine. I didn't as about the LT77 vs. R380.

I spoke with DOT and was told a new gear box of the same model wouldn't be a problem. They did tell me to expect customs in Jacksonville to do an extremely close examination of all the VIN numbers (normal and hidden) and all major comments of any Defender being brought in.

Has anyone ever encountered issues dealing with customs and gear boxes?

I am new to the forum not not land rovers, I've has a 2000 DII, 1995 RRC, 2003 DII, and currently have 2 2005 MKIII range rovers in the family. Never had a D90 but looking to.

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2013, 05:04 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Get any advice in writing.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 29th, 2013, 06:08 PM
irishwoody97
Woody
1983 One Ten County, Blue/White

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280sl View Post
Hi, I've done some reading and have a specific question about import to USA and gear box changes.

Would there be a problem with a 1985 2.5NA which was born a 5 speed LT77 being imported if the Euro owner installed a brand new or brand new rebuilt 5 speed prior to import. The vehicle would be the same configuration (5 speed) but the new gear box's manufacture date would be recent.

Also, would there be an issue if the vehicle was born with a LT77"D" gearbox and the new was a LT77"S" box or even a swap to a R380 box.

I spoke to the EPA help line and was told that customs will check to see if the vehicle was manufactured a 5 speed and as long as it still was a 5 speed it would be fine. I didn't as about the LT77 vs. R380.

I spoke with DOT and was told a new gear box of the same model wouldn't be a problem. They did tell me to expect customs in Jacksonville to do an extremely close examination of all the VIN numbers (normal and hidden) and all major comments of any Defender being brought in.

Has anyone ever encountered issues dealing with customs and gear boxes?

I am new to the forum not not land rovers, I've has a 2000 DII, 1995 RRC, 2003 DII, and currently have 2 2005 MKIII range rovers in the family. Never had a D90 but looking to.

Adam

I just imported my '83 One Ten from Germany. Vehicle was bought in the Netherlands, and was originally manufactured as a 3.5L V8 Gas with LT95. The previous owner, like most in the Netherlands, had switched it all out for a 200 TDi (including not only engine and transmission, but also exhaust, radiator, etc...). Prior to importing it into the US, I had the engine switched back (I'm posting a separate thread asking some questions about the engine) to a 3.5L V8 Gas and had my German mechanic put in an LT85 (its what was available before I was shipping it). I had no issues with import, despite the strict eye CBP has on Defenders these days.

Before I was shipping, I checked with some CBP guys at the POE in Hamburg, and (ALL UNOFFICIAL - don't take my word as gospel) they said that the vehicle needs to be original or like original per VIN. Basically, it has an engine that matches the VIN (in my case V8 gas) and is appropriate for the model/year group (I couldn't put in a Nissan, etc...). My engine actually came from a RR, but it's still a 3.5L Rover V8. Some other minor cosmetic modifications were made by the prior owner (dash, stereo), but none impacted me specifically for my import.

I'm not sure if this helps, but the sense I got was that the thing needed to be as close to original as reasonable possible, with special attention to the engine and fuel type matching the VIN. Obviously if the VIN is coming back with one body style and you have another, they're not even going to take a look at your engine before crunching the poor car.

While some guys have certainly gotten vehicles in not matching what I described, they certainly did it at their own risk.

Woody
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwoody97 View Post
I just imported my '83 One Ten from Germany. Vehicle was bought in the Netherlands, and was originally manufactured as a 3.5L V8 Gas with LT95. The previous owner, like most in the Netherlands, had switched it all out for a 200 TDi (including not only engine and transmission, but also exhaust, radiator, etc...). Prior to importing it into the US, I had the engine switched back (I'm posting a separate thread asking some questions about the engine) to a 3.5L V8 Gas and had my German mechanic put in an LT85 (its what was available before I was shipping it). I had no issues with import, despite the strict eye CBP has on Defenders these days.

Before I was shipping, I checked with some CBP guys at the POE in Hamburg, and (ALL UNOFFICIAL - don't take my word as gospel) they said that the vehicle needs to be original or like original per VIN. Basically, it has an engine that matches the VIN (in my case V8 gas) and is appropriate for the model/year group (I couldn't put in a Nissan, etc...). My engine actually came from a RR, but it's still a 3.5L Rover V8. Some other minor cosmetic modifications were made by the prior owner (dash, stereo), but none impacted me specifically for my import.

I'm not sure if this helps, but the sense I got was that the thing needed to be as close to original as reasonable possible, with special attention to the engine and fuel type matching the VIN. Obviously if the VIN is coming back with one body style and you have another, they're not even going to take a look at your engine before crunching the poor car.

While some guys have certainly gotten vehicles in not matching what I described, they certainly did it at their own risk.

Woody

Yes. your post re-outlines the well established lay of the land since December last year. I have had dozens of clients swap drive trains back to what the vin decodes to, as well as convert trucks that had been converted to left hand drive back to right just to get past customs.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 20th, 2014, 11:46 AM
scottsdaleaz
Jared
D

I need an opinion here before putting too much time and effort into this. I have never dealt with an import and this one just popped up on ebay, it is close to home thus the reason for interest. 1984 D110 new chassis and a 300TDI engine. Is this a legal car? I spoke to the owner and he has it registered in Montana because he did not want to try to see if it would pass emissions in AZ. Please let me know your opinions on this truck.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...63905174&Log=0

Seller Comments
This is not a 1993 NAS but Autotrader will only allow me to list a Defender 110 under 1993 unfortunately. This Vehicle is registered as a 1984 Defender 110 restored with a new galvanized chassis to 2004 specifications. For more photos and details please visit: https://rowdefender110.shutterfly.com/ You wont be disappointed!
Old January 20th, 2014, 11:55 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsdaleaz View Post
I need an opinion here before putting too much time and effort into this. I have never dealt with an import and this one just popped up on ebay, it is close to home thus the reason for interest. 1984 D110 new chassis and a 300TDI engine. Is this a legal car? I spoke to the owner and he has it registered in Montana because he did not want to try to see if it would pass emissions in AZ. Please let me know your opinions on this truck.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...63905174&Log=0

Seller Comments
This is not a 1993 NAS but Autotrader will only allow me to list a Defender 110 under 1993 unfortunately. This Vehicle is registered as a 1984 Defender 110 restored with a new galvanized chassis to 2004 specifications. For more photos and details please visit: https://rowdefender110.shutterfly.com/ You wont be disappointed!
I'll call you in a bit. I can answer all your questions specific to registering it in AZ.
Old March 18th, 2014, 07:52 PM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

well yes and NO...key word is entirely original.. and NO gavi frame swaps either.. think first year of 2.5 TDI was 86.. BUT I could be WRONG ..btw A BMHT cert really helps with CBP of late..www.bmh-ltd.com IN NC.. you can NOT change the engine until it is 35 years or older.. and NEVER a Frame change without MVR 5..( pre and post inspections at DMV lic and theft) BUT every state is different.. later bc
Old March 25th, 2014, 10:40 AM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

There is local japanese guy that imports Jap NON conforming engine here in Hendersonville NC for the last 30 years.. even Skyline engines. and he has NOT had ANY problems with EPA.. he Just checks box W on the EPA form.... should be NO different for 300 TDI. engine.. later bc
Old March 28th, 2014, 08:50 AM
ElCid12
Burton
None

Good Morning Gents,

I've been following this forum for about three years now, but still dont have a Defender. After soaking in y'all's information, I still have one question about my situation. A friend (in GA) is going to sell me (in SC) an all original 1986 110 3.5L that he somehow got over here in 2007 and registered as a 1972. If you were me, would you keep it registered as a 72, or go about registering it as an 86, now that it is 28 years old?

Thanks in advance for the help, I did not find any situations like this on the board, or perhaps I didn't look hard enough.

Cheers
Old March 28th, 2014, 08:51 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCid12 View Post
Good Morning Gents, I've been following this forum for about three years now, but still dont have a Defender. After soaking in y'all's information, I still have one question about my situation. A friend (in GA) is going to sell me (in SC) an all original 1986 110 3.5L that he somehow got over here in 2007 and registered as a 1972. If you were me, would you keep it registered as a 72, or go about registering it as an 86, now that it is 28 years old? Thanks in advance for the help, I did not find any situations like this on the board, or perhaps I didn't look hard enough. Cheers
Ask a lawyer not a public forum.
Old March 28th, 2014, 07:06 PM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

ok.. here is the skinny on frame I saw my dmv inspector today for vin inspection ( L/T270), shell and engine swaps in NC.. you can NOT swap frame or shell without doing pre and post inspection at DMV lic and theft.. and then you must do MVR 5 ( frame swap) and then apply for MVR 31.. state vin number.. DMV lic and theft takes off the Manufacture vin numbers ( PURAL) and you install the NCS , state vin in front of him at DMV.. It is same in MOST states.. BUT in the UK done on points system.. under DVLA radical rebuilds.. you have to have EIGHT points to retain old vin number.. five points for new BMHT shell.. 2 for engine . and one for brakes.. later bc
Old March 28th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCid12 View Post
Good Morning Gents,

I've been following this forum for about three years now, but still dont have a Defender. After soaking in y'all's information, I still have one question about my situation. A friend (in GA) is going to sell me (in SC) an all original 1986 110 3.5L that he somehow got over here in 2007 and registered as a 1972. If you were me, would you keep it registered as a 72, or go about registering it as an 86, now that it is 28 years old?

Thanks in advance for the help, I did not find any situations like this on the board, or perhaps I didn't look hard enough.

Cheers
You didn't find any scenario's like this because US Customs sometimes peruses this forum.
What you describe is a very clear case of a smuggled in, illegal VIN swap. My advice, if you decide to own it, is to not bring the true VIN number to the authorities attention. There is no statute of limitations on a US Customs crime. The ONLY remedy allowable if the Feds get involved is immediate export and you might possibly be allowed to re-import it legally.
My second piece of advice would be that if you intend to be involved with something such as this, posting your intent here is a bad idea for the reason given above.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old March 29th, 2014, 04:09 PM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
You didn't find any scenario's like this because US Customs sometimes peruses this forum. What you describe is a very clear case of a smuggled in, illegal VIN swap. My advice, if you decide to own it, is to not bring the true VIN number to the authorities attention. There is no statute of limitations on a US Customs crime. The ONLY remedy allowable if the Feds get involved is immediate export and you might possibly be allowed to re-import it legally. My second piece of advice would be that if you intend to be involved with something such as this, posting your intent here is a bad idea for the reason given above.

Right on point. Doug.
I was thinking of robbing a bank tomorrow on Court Street, Brooklyn tomorrow at 8 AM. How silly?
Old March 29th, 2014, 04:14 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I'm sure customs are looking up 1972 trucks in Georgia to clear up this little mess....
Old March 29th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
I'm sure customs are looking up 1972 trucks in Georgia to clear up this little mess....
Deliberately tempting fate is foolhardy. Dealing with this agency daily will rapidly give one a high degree of respect for the long and extremely wide reach an officer has to what ever he or she wants.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old March 29th, 2014, 06:25 PM
werewolf
bill cox
1985 110 defender

ask..that Ex dealer from Wilmington NC about the mar13 CAR AND DRIVER..FEDS DECLARE WAR on Black Market Land Rovers about CBP coming out and SEIZING land rover..s..
Old April 1st, 2014, 07:42 AM
ElCid12
Burton
None

Thanks fellas, I'll save up more money and buy one that comes up for sale on here near me. I appreciate y'all's help, always good infor on here!
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:51 PM
nickyfusco
Nicholas Fusco
1988 Defender 90 County

Heya! i just bought a 1988 D90, and intend to import it to the USA. It has newer wheels...does anyone know if this is an issue? All else is original except the chassis has been waxoyled, thought we've scraped it off around where the VIN number is.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
import