Whats legal? Frame Swaps, Importing, etc - Page 13 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old August 18th, 2011, 04:50 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Good ol Gabor in Philly, haven't heard much about him since the late '90s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2011, 01:38 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Well, to be honest, the more you guys say it costs to import one, the happier I feel about the price I paid for Janey so keep upping the amount .

Oh, and if anyone wants to import one to virginia, emissions are not an issue. When the inspection stations tries to pull up the VIN, it will show as "non-conforming". A quick visit to the DEQ will get you exemption papers.

charles
Charles,
Does this still hold true in Fairfax or Loudoun counties? They have tighter restrictions than the rest of Virginia. What is the DEQ? Thanks
Old October 2nd, 2011, 06:39 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I'm pretty confident it is since the place I use for inspections is in Fairfax and the DEQ station is in Prince William (and I live in Loudoun BTW), but honestly I am just guessing. Best go ask at the DMV if you are concerned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinginmemphis View Post
In looking into these issues further, I came across a NHTSA decision regarding a petition for importation of non-conforming 94-95 Defender 90 models.

What I find interesting is that this allows for the importation of the pick-up version as well as the station wagon. There is a bit of an extensive list of modifications required, but for anyone interested in importing a 94-95 pick-up the requirements are clearly described. See:
http://www.federalregister.gov/artic...passenger#p-68

By the way, for those that are not familiar with the Federal Register it is the official publication method for federal agencies including NHTSA.

All this has been hashed and re-hashed in this thread before over the years. The point of federalizing a 90's defender is moot since the truck has to have been built as a lhd fuel injected v8. Guess where the only two markets those were built and shipped to in the early-mid90's ? North America and Japan. Both countries recd NAS spec trucks complete with eps/dot stickers, cages etc.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 25th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'93 NAS110 #436
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift
Charles,
Does this still hold true in Fairfax or Loudoun counties? They have tighter restrictions than the rest of Virginia. What is the DEQ? Thanks
Just get VA Antique plates and skip the emissions and inspections.

Semper Fi!
Old October 25th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Antique plates on a 94?

quit drinking 90w
Old October 27th, 2011, 12:16 PM
kjva
Ken Jackson
1985 110 Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Antique plates on a 94?

quit drinking 90w
At an MAR at Pearls Pond there was a newish 110 Wagon driving round on the black Virginia antique plates. Was told a few were brought in. this was way before any 110 could be imported.
Old November 8th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

I read through this whole thread(s) and didn't see my question really addressed. My eyes are sort of glazed now so maybe I missed it.
I've been thinking of buying a 130 chassis to put under my D90. Everything from the seat base forward would stay. Would this likely be problematic?

Also, FWIW, I have a contact in the NHTSA Office of the Chief Counsel that I've spoken with a couple of times.
If people have some specific DOT related scenarios in mind I'd be willing to see if I can get a letter from him. Or at least a verbal (FWIW) reply. I'll probably at least ask him about my D90 to D130 idea if no one knows.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old November 8th, 2011, 02:58 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjva View Post
At an MAR at Pearls Pond there was a newish 110 Wagon driving round on the black Virginia antique plates. Was told a few were brought in. this was way before any 110 could be imported.
Unless the title says 25 years old or older, then you can't register it as an Antique in Virginia.

Appearance is deceptive on a Defender. The exterior of the truck hasn't changed much if at all since they were made. A 25 year old truck with new body panels and paint can look like something that rolled off the Solihull assembly line today
Old November 8th, 2011, 03:42 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
I read through this whole thread(s) and didn't see my question really addressed. My eyes are sort of glazed now so maybe I missed it.
I've been thinking of buying a 130 chassis to put under my D90. Everything from the seat base forward would stay. Would this likely be problematic?

Also, FWIW, I have a contact in the NHTSA Office of the Chief Counsel that I've spoken with a couple of times.
If people have some specific DOT related scenarios in mind I'd be willing to see if I can get a letter from him. Or at least a verbal (FWIW) reply. I'll probably at least ask him about my D90 to D130 idea if no one knows.

Federally, it might be considered a "rebuilt" truck and therefore subject to a new car standards. Practically, it is no different than making a stretch limo or anything else like that and has been done innumerable times (ie ECR Beach Runners) and I am unaware of anyone has any issues.

From a state law perspectice, some states require these type of rebuilds for you to have it inspected and produce reciepts (and pay tax).

On the risk scale, I think it is very low.

Here is the link to my original post:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...5&postcount=80
Old November 8th, 2011, 09:43 PM
kjva
Ken Jackson
1985 110 Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Unless the title says 25 years old or older, then you can't register it as an Antique in Virginia.

Appearance is deceptive on a Defender. The exterior of the truck hasn't changed much if at all since they were made. A 25 year old truck with new body panels and paint can look like something that rolled off the Solihull assembly line today
I think it was a straight re-vin on a Series it ran a tdi if i remember, one of the parts suppliers told me around 3 or 4 were brought in was around 8 years ago.
Old November 9th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'93 NAS110 #436
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I run VA antique plates on my '83 110. There is no safety inpection, and I am limited to 250 miles a year and can't use it for commuting. There is, however, no enforcement on either rule, and the ticket cost is still cheaper than the one-time cost for the plates.

Semper Fi!
Old November 9th, 2011, 05:29 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
I don't see how it could be if you own the vehicle, and plan on using it yourself. Even if you were to sell it why would it make any difference what the wheelbase is? People stretch Escalades and Hummers all the time to make limos.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old November 9th, 2011, 05:41 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
I don't see how it could be if you own the vehicle, and plan on using it yourself. Even if you were to sell it why would it make any difference what the wheelbase is? People stretch Escalades and Hummers all the time to make limos.
Yeah, I wouldn't think so. On the other hand I've never talked to a limo builder to see if they have to do anything special as far as registration. The other possible difference is that from what I've seen of the process they are generally actually adding sections to the existing chassis. I want to completely replace the chassis which, knowing the government, could completely change the picture.
I think I'll see if I can find a reputable limo builder in Atlanta and see if they have to do anything different, since they are doing it for resale any requirements could very well be even more stringent.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old November 9th, 2011, 05:51 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

The only issue I have run into is insurance as in it is not a 90 anymore and if you insure it as one, which is what the VIN will show it as, and need your coverage......you might get dropped like a hot brick. It's all been done before just thought a reminder might be in order.
Same thing applies to antique plates. Insurance may only cover you for the mileage allowed (check your policy).

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old November 9th, 2011, 07:27 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
I want to completely replace the chassis which, knowing the government, could completely change the picture.
But....I need to replace the chassis on my '71 Series, which I hope to do in the near future, and this shouldn't change anything. If wanted to replace it with a chassis that was 40" longer then my understanding is that is no problem.

It is my understanding that one *should* then bring it to the State Police either for them to perhaps verify the old chassis # and/or stamp it on the new chassis? Although from what I also understand from other folks with Series they have not done this.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old November 9th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Shouldn't be any different than those UGLY Diablo replicas built on an stretched Fiero frame ( or tubular ones ) that remain registered as 19XX Pontiac Fiero.

As for insurance... the first question they asked you is " Has the unit been modified, altered, etc " here is your opportunity to say " Of course , it is a one of a kind very rare automobile " ;-)
Old November 9th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Shouldn't be any different than those UGLY Diablo replicas built on an stretched Fiero frame ( or tubular ones ) that remain registered as 19XX Pontiac Fiero.

As for insurance... the first question they asked you is " Has the unit been modified, altered, etc " here is your opportunity to say " Of course , it is a one of a kind very rare automobile " ;-)
Agreed, Ive owned a few VW buggies. One was a tube frame with a turbo subie motor and a bus trans. It was registered as a 64 beetle.

The only issues the NJ DMV gave me was that the color was not the same as was stated on the title. Was listed as street legal and had it inspected by the State police for the VIN.

WARNING OPINION::::

I think all you need is a piece of the original frame and the paperwork stating you imported it. Who cares otherwise? When was the last time you saw a bone stock CJ7 driving around? Just stick to you local laws about engine swaps, emissions and pay your taxes and you should be good to go.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 04:06 PM
Skookumchuck
Owen Kenney
1979 Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
All this has been hashed and re-hashed in this thread before over the years. The point of federalizing a 90's defender is moot since the truck has to have been built as a lhd fuel injected v8. Guess where the only two markets those were built and shipped to in the early-mid90's ? North America and Japan. Both countries recd NAS spec trucks complete with eps/dot stickers, cages etc.
It was the US and Canada Japan is RHD not LHD.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 04:18 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

They made 97 defenders lhd nas spec for japan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
import