Whats legal? Frame Swaps, Importing, etc - Page 11 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 16th, 2009, 01:39 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

In VA when I lived there farm vehicles had to display a triangle and were limited to 25mph. Of course, no one really cared.
Advertisement

Old August 7th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
300tdi imported this week

Happy to say that I had a 300tdi engine (conversion kit) imported this week. I had to wait a few days to go pick it up at DHL Ocean freight in Chicago. It all worked out smoothly. I was lucky to have several conversations and PMs with George Kase who did just brought in a 200tdi into Chicago.
George thanks for the help and the guidance! I used the same customs broker that George worked with previously. He was familiar with the paperwork and the steps to a hassle free import (at least in my situation). He mentioned he is more then happy to help out anyone else looking to import something similar regardless of US port of entry.
Richard at CWS was great to work with. The kit came with non egr engine from a defender, gearbox and exhaust, intercooler/radiator and mounts ect. I am sure there will be quite a few more items I will need to complete this conversion, but I think the kit is a great starting point. I will have some time soon to go through the complete package to see if everything looks good and source the other items I will need.
The biggest issue I had was moving the big bin that the conversion kit came in. It took a Penske truck with a lift gate and my wife, 12 yrs old daughter and 9 yr old son and I to wrestle the bin into my storage unit. It was the best!
Just wanted to post my experience for anyone who is interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 8th, 2009, 06:29 PM
kjva
Ken Jackson
1985 110 Wagon

To maybe throw some light on why the same item can get treated diffrently at diffrerent ports of entry my shipper in Norfolk VA told me that as part of the homeland security the customs officers now rotate more so you may get one who is not to familiar with engines or vehicles, whereas before the same guys had been on the docks for a long time. This info is first hand as I export the classic motorcycles to the UK and Europe, I am licensed dealer in VA and have the tax ID etc. I do not sell cars here in VA. As a dealer I am allowed to hold an "open" title ie one which has been signed by the seller but not re-asigned to a new buyer. The titles go to the docks US Customs checks them and stamps them "export approved". I have done this for the last 15 years without problems. Around 18 months ago an officer in the docks did not like that fact that they were not in my name After a lot a discussion and Virginia DMV policy discussion he agreed to stamp them but was clear it was the last time. I now register all the bikes in my name and so far had no more questions. It costs $1000 a week if the container misses the boat. Sorry to be long winded but this is 100% true and is not hearsay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2009, 11:19 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Take a look at this post from Jalopnik on what happens to those that try and circumvent the rules for importing vehicles ...

http://jalopnik.com/5371967/feds-sei...-gt+rs-in-cali
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:20 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Figure I would post here instead of commenting on the almost moved legality thread that is happening in the chit chat section. This is what I have learned after reading this thread multiple times and other posts about restore,vin swap or parts changing from this site(all of which I believe to be opinion by the posters).
1. Noobs will get flamed for posting a truck as rare, vin swap, overpriced,lack of knowledge ect,ect, ect.
2. If you have not been around long enough dont question the legality or quality of the truck that person is selling.
3. If you round the head of enough bolts or pay a shop enough money it is not a vin swap but a resto.
4. Most people(me included)prefer the dont ask dont tell policy.
5. Most of us know very, very little about our own states rules on swapping parts or whole trucks(again, me included).
6. Fed legal motor or not it seems everyone gets away with a non certified motor.
7. If a loophole is found every one of us would be bringing in new Defenders to update our old ones.

Just ranting and chatting so please let me know what I missed.
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsteil
Figure I would post here instead of commenting on the almost moved legality thread that is happening in the chit chat section. This is what I have learned after reading this thread multiple times and other posts about restore,vin swap or parts changing from this site(all of which I believe to be opinion by the posters).
1. Noobs will get flamed for posting a truck as rare, vin swap, overpriced,lack of knowledge ect,ect, ect.
2. If you have not been around long enough dont question the legality or quality of the truck that person is selling.
3. If you round the head of enough bolts or pay a shop enough money it is not a vin swap but a resto.
5. Most of us know very, very little about our own states rules on swapping parts or whole trucks(again, me included).
6. Fed legal motor or not it seems everyone gets away with a non certified motor.
7. If a loophole is found every one of us would be bringing in new Defenders to update our old ones.

Michael allow me to add

8. Hypocracy ( I brake the rules but I don't want anyone else to do it as it might become COMPETITION
9. Trash people's well being by detroying their FOR SALE ITEM
10. MY FAVORITE... DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO
Old October 7th, 2009, 02:58 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsteil

JimC or Chris should make this a pop up to agree to if you make a new thread in the for sale section!
Old December 7th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Heathbarcrunch
Heath Glassman
In-between Rovers

I have a question... in regards to what is legal or not. What if, I find a 1993 D110 LHD in the UK. Is this vehicle legal to import because other 1993 d110s were imported during the same year or does it fall into the must be 25 years or older category. I assume that because it does not have an external roll cage, that it does not meet the requirements that the other d110s met and therefore the anser is NO?
Here is a perfect example.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Old December 7th, 2009, 08:20 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Per the NHTSA 1993 110's are "eligible for importation" based on the fact that "a substantially similar vehicle exists" in that year which already meets US standards. You would have to have a Registered Importer install the external cage and other US-spec equipment, and then you would have to subject the motor to EPA testing. This is all doable, but costs real money.

Follow-up Post:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/...elig060109.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 7th, 2009, 08:23 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Don't forget when buying from the UK, according to the DOT, in order to Federalized by a Registered Importer, the 110 has to be born as a LHD. It can not be a RHD 110 that was converted to LHD.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old December 7th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Heathbarcrunch
Heath Glassman
In-between Rovers

Thanks for the quick replies. I always want to be on the right side of the line.
Old December 7th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Plus it has to have an EPA approved engine which means fuel injected 3.9 V8. No Tdi need apply.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old December 7th, 2009, 09:59 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
Plus it has to have an EPA approved engine which means fuel injected 3.9 V8. No Tdi need apply.
I never got far enough in the process to get to engines. I wonder if the EPA, like the DOT requiring it be born LHD, requires that the 110 be born with a 3.9 EFI, or if that can be a transplant?

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:50 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
'94 NAS D-90, 2.8 TGV

I have not had time to read through the eleven pages on this post but I have to ask this. If the 110 has not changed much since it's inception in 1983, aside from a more sealed up interior, a few different power plants, and ABS, it is obviously not a safety issue. Why can we not bring in a newer model year, EPA approval aside as I live in a city that has no testing. The vehicle has basically not changed since the 80's so what's the deal. A 1984 is just fine,and probably a very dangerous vehicle by todays standards, so why not a 2006 110 that is very road worthy?
Old December 16th, 2009, 06:02 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Every time I go to Europe Land Rover fans laugh when they hear my defender runs a V8 gas engine, as Land Rovers are originally a diesel engine vehicle and gas engines are a custom conversion or special order.

If TDi's in the USA need not apply to pass EPA, how do USA manufacturers legally build diesel engine trucks?
Old December 16th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Just do what everyone else is doing and get a 25 year old model. With that, thread over...
Old December 16th, 2009, 06:12 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrad
I have not had time to read through the eleven pages on this post but I have to ask this. If the 110 has not changed much since it's inception in 1983, aside from a more sealed up interior, a few different power plants, and ABS, it is obviously not a safety issue. Why can we not bring in a newer model year, EPA approval aside as I live in a city that has no testing. The vehicle has basically not changed since the 80's so what's the deal. A 1984 is just fine,and probably a very dangerous vehicle by todays standards, so why not a 2006 110 that is very road worthy?
Logic does not enter the equation when writing laws and rule books.
Old December 16th, 2009, 06:13 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Don't bring logic into it!
Old December 16th, 2009, 08:22 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"If TDi's in the USA need not apply to pass EPA, how do USA manufacturers legally build diesel engine trucks?"

The big ones it F250/350 Dodge 2500/3500 Chevy/GMC 2500/3500 Sprinter are over the weight class. The smaller ones have urea injection and are often not available for sale in certain states (NY, Mass., CA)
Old December 17th, 2009, 09:18 PM
michaels
mike
2004 DII

as far as complying to US specs. what if you were to do all these US spec conversions on the cheap out of country(cheap compared to what the gov't would charge to make it comply)? when you import it everything is there.... i'm talking about on page nine if 94 and 95s with V8 and Efi were eligible if it that petition had been passed...

just speculation, but what would they do? would you get the sign of approval?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
import