Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old November 3rd, 2012, 06:00 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
WANTED 95 D-90 Wagon

Hello all,

I have been in love with the D-90 since I first saw it in movies in the late 90s, I've wanted one ever since. Now that I have the resources to buy a D-90, I am on the search. I know that I would rather have a 1995 wagon, but I am open to a 94 POE or soft top model. I really don't have an interest in the 97's being that these were automatics and I prefer a manual tranny.
I currently live in Denver, and there are not many at all for sale out this way (other than ebay and the ones that have ridiculous prices that never sell). I decided to join this forum with hopes of connecting with a seller and using the vast amount of knowledge available on D-90s.

Does anyone know of a 95 Wagon for sale or might be down the road? I am in no rush as I am also trying to clean out a space in my garage, I have a 1967 Triumph TR4-A for sale.

Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated and thank you for your time!

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2012, 06:32 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
For those interested, here is a pic of my TR-4 A I am wanting to sell (haven't even tried yet). Also, what are the fair prices for the 95 wagons in good condition? Specifically 100-120K miles, no major mechanical issues, decent paint, minimal rust...no show car but a good driver/fixer-uper?

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...ya/67TR4-A.jpg
Old November 3rd, 2012, 06:50 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
$20k should get you the truck you want, 95 D90 SW are probably the cheapest NAS you can find, if you can find one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Great looking TR. you will love a Defender. Almost classic, British, and just as quirky.
Old November 4th, 2012, 08:32 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
$20k should get you the truck you want, 95 D90 SW are probably the cheapest NAS you can find, if you can find one.
And best looking ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old November 4th, 2012, 09:24 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
And best looking ...
And rare.
Old November 4th, 2012, 10:39 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
So the 95 is the cheapest, but rare as well? Interesting. Thanks for the info. I have plenty of time so hopefully the right one will come along. In the meantime I have thousands of threads to read to educate myself.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old November 4th, 2012, 10:55 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Basically ST Soft tops are most common ... Around 7500 imported ... SW's didn't arrive until 95 and were in much more limited numbers. 500 in 95 and the more in 97 along with the final run of 300 Limited Edition willow green SW's.

Always personal preference but I like the practicality of my SW and use it all year round. Most STs only come out in summer.

SW generally are cheaper ... Even though they were more expensive new.

You don't have to get a NAS spec truck ... Plenty of imports around ... Read the what's legal thread first though.

And when the new James Bond film is out next week everyone will be wanting a defender as they feature quite a bit. Just means the value of my truck will go up and your search will become a bit harder.

Good luck finding a truck!
Old November 5th, 2012, 12:12 AM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Soft tops despite being in high numbers here compared to the SW sold here are still worth more because there are only 7500 of these NAS type Soft tops world wide, where as the Station Wagon minus the Roll bar is really anything more special than an import truck with a V8. The reason why the 95's are worth even less than the 97 is because 97 was the only year the defender was ever sold anywhere with an automatic**, and as we all know driving an automatic is a luxury as is priced accordingly. White ones will also be the cheapest as they were sold in the highest numbers, so you will probably end up with the Ultra Rare and awesome 95 D90 SW in Alpine White, its an exclusive club to say the least, and i have been a member.

*(90 uk models)
**(minus the 98 special edition which was basically an NAS truck)
Old November 5th, 2012, 07:20 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
On want planet is driving a slush box a luxury ...
Old November 5th, 2012, 07:37 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
There are more ST's because there was demand for them (sort of). A ton of SW's had to be shipped over to Japan and Dubai in late '97 because no one here wanted them anymore.
Old November 5th, 2012, 08:54 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
USA, its hard to wrangle a mochafrapcoffeino, text, put on make up and change gears
Old November 5th, 2012, 09:14 AM
zeusdavis
Jeff Davis
95 D90 ST 2006/3000

Registry
Matt - I live in Denver and have a 95 Black D90 ST. I too wanted a wagon but am glad I got a ST. There is nothing better than dropping the top and driving on the mountain trails. You know how cold it gets here and from what I'm told the wagons aren't that much warmer in the winter to forgo the benefits of the ST. I still have my top and windows off today. If you want the wagon for the rear jump seats to pile friends in just buy some and put them in a ST....that was my plan....before having 2 kids. I might sell mine and will let you know if I do.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0018.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	60281  
Old November 5th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
There are more ST's because there was demand for them (sort of). A ton of SW's had to be shipped over to Japan and Dubai in late '97 because no one here wanted them anymore.

Yes, and the Green SW's (1997) are very rare....
Old November 5th, 2012, 09:45 AM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Thanks guys for all the helpful info! I am not ruling out a ST, I just like the looks of the SW. Most importantly for me I want a 90 that is mechanically sound to be a driver, and has minimal rust...that being said if a ST came along that fit, I could be inclined to buy. I am not much on the aftermarket things as well, and could take these off I figure if it came down to it. How hard is it to find the fiberglass top? I heard these are rare and usually are broken in some way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusdavis View Post
Matt - I live in Denver and have a 95 Black D90 ST. I too wanted a wagon but am glad I got a ST. There is nothing better than dropping the top and driving on the mountain trails. You know how cold it gets here and from what I'm told the wagons aren't that much warmer in the winter to forgo the benefits of the ST. I still have my top and windows off today. If you want the wagon for the rear jump seats to pile friends in just buy some and put them in a ST....that was my plan....before having 2 kids. I might sell mine and will let you know if I do.

Jeff
Jeff-glad to hear from someone local, as I know there have to be some 90's in the Denver area. I have only seen one black one around the Lowry area, but it had a different style LR wheel on it, saw this one yesterday actually on Colorado. Do you meet up with other guys with 90s in the area ever? Would like to check out what's out here sometime.
Old November 5th, 2012, 10:10 AM
zeusdavis
Jeff Davis
95 D90 ST 2006/3000

Registry
You probably saw me. I live in Stapleton. The picture I posted is an old one. I now have a roof rack, tall and skinny tires, and a slightly higher stance with the upgraded springs. There is a club in town called the Solihull Society. I've been a member but have never actually gone on any of the outings as I have a 2 year old and 4 month old taking up most of my time. If you're in the Lowey / Stapleton area feel free to drop by. - Jeff
Old November 5th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4

USA, its hard to wrangle a mochafrapcoffeino, text, put on make up and change gears
Make up?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 5th, 2012, 11:29 AM
JohnsD90
John

Registry
Quote:
Not a luxury for me, all 3 of my cars are stick! But most of the rest of the incompetent fools here require it as Phillip says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Exactly!
Old November 5th, 2012, 04:18 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
I realize that the D-90 NAS models are rare in that they were brought in only 3 years, but I am having trouble with the pricing barometer. Not to judge anyone as a car owner myself I know there are many dollars poured in along with time, but the prices I find on ebay, and on CL seem high. I totally get a low miles, very clean truck commanding $40k but it seems values are inflated on the 90's with >100k miles and in "good to fair" condition.

Can someone explain where value is added for SW and STs? Of course mileage and rust is a factor, but besides aftermarket parts, what makes one 90 worth more than another?

Thanks in advance.
Old November 5th, 2012, 04:52 PM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

Good luck finding any D-90 for $20k that doesn't need at least $10k worth of work to declare it road worthy. I suppose there are the occasional deals that someone on here will chime in on but from what I've seen $20k will only buy you a project.

Also, having owned both ST's and SW's there is a big difference in comfort with regards to heat and noise. My wife and kids froze throughout the Colorado winters in the Soft Tops I have owned but my current SW is cozy and relatively quiet. Don't get me wrong though, nothing beats a ST on a warm sunny day and we aren't short of those out here.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
90, 95, d-90, wanted