Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old April 17th, 2008, 09:01 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Upcoming 1983 110 Wagon FS

1983 Land Rover Defender 110 coming up for sale as soon as it arrives from the UK. Brown, 4 cyl gas, Nice body work. More info and full evaluation after it arrives. This vehicle is RHD. Price will be posted as soon as the truck arrives and is gone over and made road ready.

Also a Green 1983 Defender 110 Wagon with a V8 coming in soon after, also RHD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FVM606Y 2.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	12975   Click image for larger version

Name:	FVM606Y 6.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	12976  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FVM606Y 7.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	12977  

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2008, 09:24 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Nice

Good to see you involved bringing in the older units also. Are your mean customs agents giving you any trouble about these trucks? Can you pass some on to me for refurbishment?

Take Care

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old April 17th, 2008, 09:27 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Someone needs to find a source for some 110 LHD's too... I think that is what is keeping some people from buying them.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2008, 09:41 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Yes, Customs guys will likely tear us apart, but the trucks we do will be doing will be good condition and legal (original engines, no altered VINs or anything) so the Customs guys may not like it, but they'll have to get over it.

As for getting into it... if folks can sell trucks that cost 3-4K pounds in the UK for 15-18K dollars over here, then lots of folks are going to get into it. Including me.

LHD older units are rarer than rocking horse poop. I have contacts in Germany and France looking, but they are only finding rusted junk.
Sadly rust and neglect of a 25 year old truck isn't any different in Europe.

Old April 17th, 2008, 09:46 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

The RHD does not bother me. They all need a makeover anyway so might as well get to the heart of it.

Please share your customs experience!

Old April 17th, 2008, 10:34 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

re LHD: "but they are only finding rusted junk"

Sounds like a good rebuild canidate.

I think the initial "bump" that makes people be able to sell these things for 15-20k will soon fall away. Every year a new batch becomes available. Look at what similar trucks did in canada.

Moreover, to think anyone on this side of the pond will be happy driving a 5000lbs vehicle with a 67hp motor . . . . bottom line is that I think the market will shift to one that are imported basically for their bodies/maybe chassis and then have rover V8 or tdi drivetrains swapped in.

IMHO, YMMV

Ron

PS that brown one posted looks really nice and clean. Does it have a part time LT230?
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:04 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
re LHD: "but they are only finding rusted junk"

Sounds like a good rebuild canidate.

I think the initial "bump" that makes people be able to sell these things for 15-20k will soon fall away. Every year a new batch becomes available. Look at what similar trucks did in canada.

Moreover, to think anyone on this side of the pond will be happy driving a 5000lbs vehicle with a 67hp motor . . . . bottom line is that I think the market will shift to one that are imported basically for their bodies/maybe chassis and then have rover V8 or tdi drivetrains swapped in.
Agreed, but the costs associated with finding, securing, transporting, etc. a "project truck" means there is no money to be made. IMO you'd be lucky if you made the money back with a "project"... you'd likely take a loss.

I agree as well on prices, they will come down, especially when people start to realize that a 25 year old truck in the UK didn't by some miracle survive in mint condition.
Once a few more hit these shores and folks start to see just how nasty a 25 year old 110 is the market will change.
Don't get me wrong, I love them, but these ain't great condition trucks.

I don't see a market for project trucks personally, because UK suppliers are on to the game and they know the import laws and 1980s 110s aren't that "cheap" in the UK anymore. However I do see a lot of project trucks ending up over here... that were originally sold as "drivers" to their original buyers in the USA. I personally passed on one that another company bought and has for sale now. It was complete crap, but I see it listed elsewhere for sale now as "great shape". I think there will be quite a few broken hearts with early 110 buyers here in the US, IMO.

Old April 17th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

So you're saying someone like me is not an ideal candidate for an imported 110? Sounds about right, LOL.
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:16 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Don't know... depends on what you are looking for.
I don't understand your post.

If you want a project to work on then it is a good way to go. If you think they'll be just like a new Range Rover, and just cheaper than an NAS 110, then you are likely in for a shock.

Ya never know, you might come up with a low miles one that some farmer stored in a barn and is in great shape.

I guess I'm just saying that the "norm" of 110s I see in the UK are pretty rough.

Old April 17th, 2008, 12:22 PM
ctrover
jim larson
1984 v8 127

i paid $3000 american for my 1984 defender 110-I'll spend another 2000 on shipping-thats $5000 american for a good truck.If you find someone on the other side willing to work with you can get a good deal.Check ebay uk.I think 15-20k for old defenders wont last long once more come in and are being swapped around.I feel the value of the nas 1993 d110's will fall too.Its a good thing.A land rover is a fun vehicle meant to be enjoyed by everybody.
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:44 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

I don't think the import of older RHD 110s will change the market for NAS 110s. There will always be that type of client that wants the "real" thing. Not sure I agree with that, but a lot of buyers have that mentality. I know that of the folks I have sold NAS 110s to, not many would have considered a 1983 110.

The good news is that the folks who can't pay NAS 110 prices will have some fun options, and that is a very good thing.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson00
So you're saying someone like me is not an ideal candidate for an imported 110? Sounds about right, LOL.

Actually quite the complete opposite. I'm looking to sell a truck so I'm hoping that there are numerous ideal candidates.

Old April 17th, 2008, 12:44 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Don't know... depends on what you are looking for.
I don't understand your post.

If you want a project to work on then it is a good way to go. If you think they'll be just like a new Range Rover, and just cheaper than an NAS 110, then you are likely in for a shock.

Ya never know, you might come up with a low miles one that some farmer stored in a barn and is in great shape.

I guess I'm just saying that the "norm" of 110s I see in the UK are pretty rough.
Emerson purchased a LWB that was sold as great shape, paid top dollar and wanted a cherry ride... turned out that it had issues / rust and was not what he wanted.
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:45 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Understood... sorry I missed the joke.

Old April 17th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

It was a piss poor attempt at humor...
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:54 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson00
It was a piss poor attempt at humor...
More like an important historical fact. Your story should be told to interested people worldwide. Buyer Beware.

Old April 17th, 2008, 02:17 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
More like an important historical fact. Your story should be told to interested people worldwide. Buyer Beware.

Bingo. Just because a vehicle is being sold at a premium does not mean that it is premium. A 1983 110 better be damn nice to get 15-18k for it.

One thing that also torques me is that some sellers mix up the concepts of "nice for its age" with "nice." They think that because something is old, it can be crap and still be nice, because somehow being old means that its doesn't have to actually _be_ nice to be described as "nice." I went to look at an Alpina BMW one time that was described as nice, and it had all kinds of defects, which the seller just wrote off because the vehicle was 20 years old.

I think anyone that wants a healthy price for an old vehicle owes you an inspection report that they will stand behind. Not a warranty, but a proper accounting of the vehicles defects. Any thing else is just used-car sales.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 17th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

At the risk of further de-railing this thread...

And a third part inspection, even if a Land Rover dealer, doesn't mean diddly, either. So buyer beware, and buyer better do some damn serious homework before buying ANY kind of older vehicle, and then go inspect the thing yourself. You can NOT trust any language in an ad, or an inspection you didn't do yourself.

I was excited at first about the UK 110s coming in.... but I think I slowly realized what Mike's said here: a 25 year old utilitarian truck is not going to be a pretty modern vehicle.
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Emerson,

Sage advice.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old April 17th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement."

Dude, it's your signature I just learned it the hard way!

(apologies for the thread-drift, Mike)
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:51 PM
globallandrovers
Julian Kotting
1999 P38 DT, 1997 LHD 110 CSW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I agree with Doug

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
110, fs