Two 1993 NAS Defender's on Ebay - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old December 16th, 2007, 02:39 PM
jessejames4
Jesse Parris
1/18 scale LR Def 110

Two 1993 NAS Defender's on Ebay

Now there are two 1993 NAS Defender's on Ebay US. I talked to the guy at Copley Motors about the he's selling for $67k. He's got 12 more that he's restoring and is not interested in selling any of these, unfortunately. Don't ask, I already tried to bribe him. Won't work.

The second one for $48 was just purchased on ebay about a week and a half ago for $48k. I guess the guy is trying to flip it and make some fast dollars.

I've been in contact with a third seller with another 110 NAS Def who wants $46-$50k for his. I guess the one I looked at two years ago for $36k with 40k miles on it was good deal after all. Somebody slap me hard right now.

Who knew, for Christ's sake, that these were going gold? Looks like these models have finally reached a stratosphere that mere mortals cannot reach.

[I have no affilation with any of these people.]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2007, 03:10 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Well.. with only 500ish ever imported, 14 years ago.. these things are getting rare.. low mileage ones sell for a ton... if you look hard enough you can find some for around 30k, but they generally need some work such as rust cleanup.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old December 16th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Did you decide against the truck your were looking at in the UK ? Shoot me a pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2007, 08:12 PM
ORover
Fred
NAS 110s #24 and #466

I looked hard for one and decided that the rust is too big of a deal. I found a midwest 110 that looked pretty good but when I had it checked out the professional estimate was $16,000 to repair the rust and there was no guarantee that it would all be gone! NAS 110's that aren't rusty are getting really, really scarce - maybe less than 100 of them left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuller
Well.. with only 500ish ever imported, 14 years ago.. these things are getting rare.. low mileage ones sell for a ton... if you look hard enough you can find some for around 30k, but they generally need some work such as rust cleanup.
Old December 16th, 2007, 08:27 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Well, a cheap rusty D110 is a good project if you have the space/knowhow to work on it.. 110 frame is $3k ... Bulkhead is around $1k ... then it's just a ton of other things that you should replace "while you're there" ...
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old December 16th, 2007, 08:33 PM
ORover
Fred
NAS 110s #24 and #466

That's what I'm in the process of doing to my 110 except no rust on mine. Labor costs are astronomical for restorations. From purely a parts perspective it's not that bad actually. I guess because I spent 6 hours restoring/replacing my speakers and re-fitting them correctly I can see why it's so expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuller
Well, a cheap rusty D110 is a good project if you have the space/knowhow to work on it.. 110 frame is $3k ... Bulkhead is around $1k ... then it's just a ton of other things that you should replace "while you're there" ...
Old December 17th, 2007, 09:41 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Everyone I have seen has been a complete POS. The low miles ones are mechanical nightmares and the others are usually rusted out. The one I should have bought was an arizona truck with 90k for 28k about 4 years ago. The screws on the door hinges were not even rusted!

Unless it has been gone through or extremely well maintained, expect to spend $$$$$.
Old December 17th, 2007, 10:36 AM
jessejames4
Jesse Parris
1/18 scale LR Def 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Everyone I have seen has been a complete POS. The low miles ones are mechanical nightmares and the others are usually rusted out. The one I should have bought was an arizona truck with 90k for 28k about 4 years ago. The screws on the door hinges were not even rusted!

Unless it has been gone through or extremely well maintained, expect to spend $$$$$.
I would'nt mind doing the restoration if I could find one at a decent price. Even the POS's are now being snapped up.

Let me add, being that we are in the For Sale - Vehicles are of the BBS-
WANTED - 1 93 NAS Defender.

Follow-up Post:

Sent you an email on this-
Jesse
Old December 17th, 2007, 11:23 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Good luck with your search, and kudos to you for being a dedicated diesel guy. I hope the body on that trooper will last as long as the motor - nevertheless, thats a rare and cool truck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 17th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I'm fortunately one of those 100 110's with no rust.

If you think they are expensive now, project yourself into the future about 10 years, after ECR has worked they way though over 50% of the surving ones as full restoration investments for Copley and others. If even 20-30% of them are all values at $150k, what's that going to do for the remainder's market values?

P.S. I hate to tell you what you already know, but an AZ truck for $28k was the deal of the century.
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:18 PM
evilfij
evilfij

I hate my ex. She vetoed every buy. 28k 110, 45k 250 GTE ferrari, 22k XK120.

Now I buy everything I see and like.
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

There really is no point in buying a POS '93, unless you must have an NAS spec. In a year, the '83 110 can be imported into the US. Those will be every bit as bad, but with an entry price well below. For the $20-$30k difference, you get a head start with a new frame, engine, and other parts.
Old December 17th, 2007, 01:17 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
There is absolutely a good reason to buy NAS, and thats to protect the investment. It will be the easiest to insure properly and argue an acceptable value for. If I dumped 30k into a 10k 1983 truck, I'd have to get an agreed value policy to simply cover myself in case of loss. A NAS truck will always be "mainstream" and anything else is simply something else. I already own 2 grey market cars (a 1984 M635csi, and a 1995 540 wagon) and am fortunate to have a compliant insurance company. Moreover, these cars really only are appreciated in enthusiast circles and thus have much reduced saleability, even if value isnt particularly compromised.

Plus I just had to have NAS.

Old December 17th, 2007, 02:04 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Let me know when you sell the M . . . .

Ron
Old December 17th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Jim,

Your points are valid, and I'm not detracting from the '93 NAS. Rather, I simply can't see paying $30-$40 for a truck essentially in need of a complete rebuild. There will be viable restoration alternatives available soon, and they will likely appeal to all but the most serious collector. For the individual planning to replace many major components with non-original spec parts, change the color, extensively drive the vehicle (let alone off-road), and is facing a complete restoration, something from the UK is likely the better buy. I believe this may have the effect of dampening the price appreciation for rust bucket NAS 110s.

The very top examples of an NAS 110 may still collect premiums, but ultimately working against them is the fact these really aren't rare vehicles. Defenders in the US are supply constrained, but readily available world wide. Next year importation begins, and domestic restorers will have a fresh supply of shell vehicles. Values in the range may get volatile.
Old December 17th, 2007, 02:26 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Certainly, there is a place for the import trucks, but ultimately thats a real enthusiast route. I totally support the notion, and would do it myself if I could justify a forth rover. Ultimately, I'm confident that any imports will not effect the NAS market in the slightest. That may affect what _you_ the knowledgable enthusiast will pay, but unlimited imports will do nothing to the value of NAS trucks. For every person that sees an import as a great bargain, there is at least one more than won't (rightly or wrongly) touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Here is some gratuitous E24 pr0n:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B7S Front Quarter.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	11396  

Old December 17th, 2007, 02:34 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
that is a b-e-a-uty!!!!!!!
Old December 17th, 2007, 02:40 PM
jessejames4
Jesse Parris
1/18 scale LR Def 110

At the Tipping point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland
There really is no point in buying a POS '93, unless you must have an NAS spec. In a year, the '83 110 can be imported into the US. Those will be every bit as bad, but with an entry price well below. For the $20-$30k difference, you get a head start with a new frame, engine, and other parts.
This thread should be in another place but I don't know where it goes so I'll leave that up to the moderator's disgression to let me know where I should be posting.

I'm just about at that Malcom Gladwell tipping point on the 93 NAS 110. While it looks like my chances of finding one are getting slimmer and thinner, I'm keeping my options open on getting a 110 Defender shipped here. Though the title or reg says 1983, there are other "options" available and I'll leave it at that. There are arguments on both sides about what parts combined constitute a legal vehicle so I'm still researching that aspect of it. I have no desire to buy an illegal LR and I have to be able to register it and insure it and who the heck wants an illegal vehicle anyway, unless it's an off-road adventure.

I located an 83 110 DEf RHD, but there are some mechanical issues I'm trying to get straightened out while the negotiations are on hold.

Thanks for the validation on owning all diesels- It's been real hard to find a diesel SUV in this country - The Jeep Liberty and Cherokees are too overpriced for me. I found another Isuzu Trooper TD that I'm picking up this week. You can't to many of these.
Old December 17th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
As for me, when I went through extensive evaluation, the NAS factor wasn't relevant from a collectable or desireability factor. I never intend to sell mine either, so the appreciation factor also is not relavent. But after going back and forth for months on research and forums, it really came down to having that NAS VIN. With respect to State and Federal agency accecptance, and in the event of an accident as well as overall insurability, having that recognized VIN is just so frickin' handy. When you put that much money into a vehicle, I don't want a crapshoot on what mood the government is in that day on whether I get registration or insurance coverage. And I also don't need my insurance company getting a "free parking - collect $200" excuse if i have an accident with a "oh, that's not a legal vehicle you insured with us, blah blah blah".

When it comes to my dream vehicle, the piece of mind alone is worth $10k to me.
Old December 17th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Here is some gratuitous E24 pr0n:

Proving once again BMWs latest attempt at the 6 series doesn't hold a candle...my opinion, of course.

There is one in the neighborhood that someone has owned since new. They still drive it everyday, and each time I see it on the road it gets my notice. Good clean lines, not heavy, imposing, and overwrought.

I'm sorry, what was this thread about, again?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
ebay, nas