thinking of selling my landy - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old April 17th, 2007, 12:41 PM
jamey
jamey
78 series 3

thinking of selling my landy

hi guys! i'm new to this forum as i've used landrovernet while i was in england and someone on landroverusa told me to post here for help... well, just moved back to the states from england! ok, heres the scoop...

i'm thinking about selling my landy and everything i have to buy a lotus elise. (i know what your thinking ;P) as i have been in england for over 2 years and had never seen an old landy in the states before that i really don't have a clue on how much landys/parts go for in the states just wondering if someone can tell me what i can expect to get for these items.....

1978 series 3 swb landy. not pos of the mileage as the landy is in atlanta waiting for pickup and im still in texas for another month (navy) no oil leaks! no rusty bulkhead! freewheel hubs, overdrive, runs and drives great. everything is really sound with no nothing out of the ordinary body wise. (a few dents or dings here or there) aftermarket black rims with bf goodwrinch mud ta's, roor rack, has rear side windows and alpine windows, and one piece defender windshield.

things i've done to it thus far are...new brakes all around(including ebrake, which was a real pain), new wheel seals and everythings been greased, new full exhaust, mod radiator, actually took oil pan off and cleaned old gunk out etc. new turn indicator, b&m air filter, new u joints, really i think its in perfect condition but is nato green which i would change but oh well.

the rest of these parts i have, have not been installed yet so i could sell by themselves or everything together. just trying to source out if i choose to sell everything how much i could expect to get. so heres my extra's list

*brand new galv chassis from paddocks

*used but gwo 3.5 carb'd engine out of a rover

*all front end parts and plastics from a defender to make it look just like one including the hood

*also a new defender front ubar brush guard

*new glav front bumber

*salisbury rear end

*oil coated (look) halogen headlights

*metal plate (british style) for floorboards, under the doors area, and fender tops

*perfect set of front outter fenders with no dents at all

*new rear fender panel for one side as it has a dent but don't know if it can be fixed since its aluminum (so i bought a new panel)

*new clear corner indicators front and back (and i think i have clear brake lights as well)

*extra roof in perfect cond. (nothing wrong with one thats on it but i got it for free so you can't argue with that.

*new defender snorkle (was planning on adjusting to make it fit)

*then loads of lil things like new window seels around, new spark plugs, dist, fan belt, etc...

as you can see i was planning on a complete rebuild on my landy and have loads of parts from england that would prob cost an arm nad a leg to ship. just wondering how much all this is worth in the states. any ideas would be helpful!
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2007, 12:51 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Hi Jamey welcome.. I am going to move this to the classified section.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old April 17th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Eddie Haskell
Aaron Haskell
1995 D90SW w/ ECR 4.6

Jamey,

Are you going to have a "Daily driver" if you sell the Rover and get the Elise? I used to own an Elise (currently have an Exige) and it would be tough if it was someone's only car. Even simple tasks like going to the grocery store are a challenge because you can't fit a whole lot into an Elise.

You can check out elisetalk.com for additional pros and cons. They're awesome cars!

Good luck!
EH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2007, 05:50 PM
jamey
jamey
78 series 3

Wink

"drools* i would love an exige but as i'm only 22 and no rich parents a elise would be the top of my price range. i do have another car... but its a 453bhp trans am lol which is no daily driver... i know an elise isn't very pratical as a daily driver but then i think "you only live once", and as a 22 year old i think "whats going to assist in landing more ..., well ya get the pic." not pos if i'll sell the landy or not because i really love the thing and really wanna turn it into a defender but better... (how many d-90 owners did i just make mad? ) just depends on how much of the elise i could pay for by selling it.
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:26 AM
tim
Timothy Homewood
Defender 50th going topless

Funny, I also have a defender, and an elise....only link I can find is that they are both made in england, brands start with an 'L'...and both require sacrifices. Cheers, tim
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Both don't come with sound deadening or creature comforts either!

I really want to take one of those Exige S' out this summer and see what it's like. I get the impression it is like driving a go cart with a bigger engine...should make for a lot of fun!
Old April 18th, 2007, 07:50 AM
jamey
jamey
78 series 3

yea, my buddy just picked up his 06 lotus this weekend and as soon as we went for a ride i was hooked! i had 4 first gen mr2's in highschool and i've had two del sols. it just seems right :P but this is a landy forum!!! what about all my stuff?
Old April 18th, 2007, 09:27 AM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

So your question is pricing? 3 directions: look at the For sale section here and search the forum. Also go to the links pages and look there. Several vendors carring used LRs. Finally, google it.
There are presently dozens of LR, especially IIs and III for sale. Some are in really great shape.
Buyers either know what the Series is or are clueless (I would stay away from that group).
Good luck.
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Dfndr90
Matt Wunderle
1995 Defender 90

Jamie,

I have done a lot of research on what Series are going for today. I just purchased a 67 IIa (yesterday). For everything you have, your in the 5500 to 7500 range. If the truck was complete and turnkey, you would be in the 12000 range. I just passed on a beautiful 1978 Series III all finished for 11700. Check LRX, Rovers North's classifieds and surprisingly craigslist. Ebay is always another option to see what the market will bear.
There is another D-90 member who has a really nicely redone Series III that he is trying to sell for 11,000. Check the D-90 classifieds.

Matt...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles