Taking Offers..88 D90 - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old July 29th, 2011, 09:29 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Maybe the fact that the truck was bought and now is for sale in less than a month has something to do with it
Doesn't exactly sound like an enthusiast purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2011, 09:42 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Well said indeed. If I sold someone a car/truck with a battery that needed replacing and some lights that needed sorting, and I became aware that the person I sold it to was trying to sell it for $4,500 more than he purchased from me (WITH MY PLATES STILL ON THE TRUCK), I'd tell him to go walk off a cliff if he came asking for $500 bucks back for "misrepresenting" of the vehicle. A PPI is king when purchasing a car/truck, especially when it is approaching 25 years old, unless you don't want to know what you're really getting until you get it.

Also, please do not put diamond plate on the wheel covers/arches...that will NOT dress up the truck. Just my opinion.
Old July 29th, 2011, 09:55 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Ok guys, not trying to get in a pissing contest. I'm obivously not that POed about the truck, I emailed James once and haven't followed up with him at all since then. I bought it sight unseen and these are the "risk" of doing that. I fully understand.

As for being a "hog", if you bought your house for 500k, had it for a month, put 50k into and then sold it for 650k would that make you a hog? Its business thats all, and whos business is it of yours anyways? I'm into the truck for just under 12K, and I'm ADVERTISING it for $14k. How thats 50% is beyond me?

As for

Quote:
well said, much better than me just calling him a dick, which I still think he is. It's the tone of his posts that do it for me.
Really? You're on a internet forum, flex your E-thug muscles elsewhere and grow up. Your banter is horrible.

------ Follow up post added July 29th, 2011 09:56 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Also, please do not put diamond plate on the wheel covers/arches...that will NOT dress up the truck. Just my opinion.

Better than the lumpy rhino lined wheel wells there that have holes in them no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2011, 10:10 AM
quick128
Trevor Ross
Series 109 diesel

I'm well aware of where I am. We are a close group of people and we will call you out when you're doing something that doesn't seem right.
Old July 29th, 2011, 10:15 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Better than...rhino lined
You are asking the wrong person. I am biased.
Old July 29th, 2011, 10:16 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
I know that, but really, what is wrong with what I'm doing? (mind you I haven't done ANYTHING yet).

I put a car for sale. What if I told you I sell cars for a living? Would that make it ok then?

------ Follow up post added July 29th, 2011 10:18 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
You are asking the wrong person. I am biased.
True - I'm talking about the inside, under the rear seats, not the outside... just so we're on the same page.

The truck is black everywherem, i fiigured some shiny AL would break it up a bit.
Old July 29th, 2011, 10:18 AM
JPBrown
James Brown
91 & 2000-110 -93 130 wagon, 88 d90

Wow this has gotten fun!

Bottom line - the truck was a steal. You told me it was a project for you, something to drive to the beach etc...but you really wanted to flip the truck and take advantage of some poor sap that's not going to realize the truck isn't worth what your asking - how can you say anything positive about the engine?? You haven't even driven it!
Anyway I don't care and I don't want to get into this. Thanks for the support from the rest of you guys and the people who have bought vehicles from me before know this is bull shit.
Old July 29th, 2011, 10:25 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBrown View Post
Wow this has gotten fun!

Bottom line - the truck was a steal. You told me it was a project for you, something to drive to the beach etc...but you really wanted to flip the truck and take advantage of some poor sap that's not going to realize the truck isn't worth what your asking - how can you say anything positive about the engine?? You haven't even driven it!
Anyway I don't care and I don't want to get into this. Thanks for the support from the rest of you guys and the people who have bought vehicles from me before know this is bull shit.

You told me to speak with Rob @ MIT about the truck and the engine, he said it drives fine and he's taken it on a number of drives back and forth to his house, the only issue is it leaked a little oil out of the air filter housing

Are you saying he was lieing to me?

Edit: I'm not saying you didn't tell me about the engine, that was never an issue. It was the other issues I wasn't expecting. No air filter, Electrical issues (which i specifically asked about), dead battery, shot tire, holes in the floorboard. That is my only gripe. I'm giving you the benifit of the doubt that maybe you didn't realize these issues (although you posted here about the tire but never told me). A reply would have been appreciated, even if it was sorry I can't do anything for you.
Old July 29th, 2011, 11:08 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
I got nothing to add to this other than I don't think I would install that $34 air filter if it is just going to end up getting get soaked with oil in a few miles.
Old July 29th, 2011, 11:29 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
I got nothing to add to this other than I don't think I would install that $34 air filter if it is just going to end up getting get soaked with oil in a few miles.

If its soaked in oil in a few miles then I'll be a little pissed... and if its blow by the oil/air seperator I put in should at leats fix the symptoms
Old July 29th, 2011, 12:19 PM
kevkon
kevin

What's kinda interesting in all of this is that the truck was listed on EBay with a starting bid of $7000 and with no bidders the auction was ended early.
Old July 29th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429
I know that, but really, what is wrong with what I'm doing? (mind you I haven't done ANYTHING yet).

I put a car for sale. What if I told you I sell cars for a living? Would that make it ok then?

------ Follow up post added July 29th, 2011 10:18 AM ------

True - I'm talking about the inside, under the rear seats, not the outside... just so we're on the same page.

The truck is black everywherem, i fiigured some shiny AL would break it up a bit.
You do sound like a used car salesman, all cry when you buy, all excuses when you sell.

Using your words not mine, re read your answer regarding the motor and your ad
Old July 29th, 2011, 12:29 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
What's kinda interesting in all of this is that the truck was listed on EBay with a starting bid of $7000 and with no bidders the auction was ended early.

I knew even at 9500 it was a good deal with some room for a profit if need be, so I took it "off the street" so to speak.

------ Follow up post added July 29th, 2011 12:38 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
You do sound like a used car salesman, all cry when you buy, all excuses when you sell.

Using your words not mine, re read your answer regarding the motor and your ad
Using the OP's words. "May be something as simple as a clogged breather valve or line"

The truck starts right up and runs fine. No loss of power, no burning oil etc. I honeslty dont see an issue with the motor and did I mention I did a comp test and it checked out to be fine.

I have no gripe with the motor.... lets make that clear!
Old July 29th, 2011, 01:46 PM
kevkon
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
I knew even at 9500 it was a good deal with some room for a profit if need be, so I took it "off the street" so to speak.
I can understand that. So cut to the chase did you buy it to flip or did you really want a Defender and have had a change of heart? I think you will find that most people on this board are genuinely interested in helping others with their experience, knowledge, and resources. But I also think one should be honest with their intentions to take advantage of that help.
Old July 29th, 2011, 02:11 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
My gf wanted something "Funky" for the beach. Shes a surfer and hates having to borrow my pick up to bring he surfboard back and forth to the beach. PLus she's never owned a "toy" and needs something a little impracticle for a change. I've always wanted a 4x4 but honestly I dont live anywhere worth having it on my own.

I could have gotten a jeep, but there a 4 on my 5 house block. So no thanks. I looked at Land Cruisers and Defenders and chose to find a defender bc 1 they are aluminum skinned and every cruiser around here is rusted from the winters, and 2 they had a much higher resale value. A minted land cruise is worth 12k and a decent defender is worth 15k.

I have only been "attached" to 1 car and that is my mustang, which is now a full fledged race car, I havent registered it in 3 years and have put as many miles on the track as I have on the road. Also I have 3 x as much money into it as I paid for it so selling it isn't an option anymore.

To say I'm going to be "attached" to this car is a bit exaggerated, I've come to the realization they are all just a chunk of metal to have fun with....at the end of the day its just a car/truck/boat/motorycle whatever and there are always more to be had if you want.

Dont get me wrong, I like the truck, alot. but if I can make a quick buck I will and maybe buy something nicer (or a ring for my gf but we wont go there). If I dont make a quick buck, then I'll keep it and use it what I intended on using it for. Romping on the beach and taking the dog hiking.

Forgive my ignorance but I still dont see how ANY of this matters, but thats just my .02
Old July 29th, 2011, 02:29 PM
kevkon
kevin

It might not matter, maybe it shouldn't matter, but it probably will help. And if you stick with the truck, I have the feeling that you will enjoy that help. Can't say how many times I have found an answer from this board.
What type of racing?
Old July 29th, 2011, 03:21 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Road courses. I do time trials for now
Old July 29th, 2011, 03:50 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

personally, i dont give two shits if you bought it to keep it or flip it. i think its hot that it was meant for your girl. im not going to bash your posting. youre obviously a vehicle enthusiast. you own it and you can do what you want with it. you realized its not for you. you might sneak a profit, and at the least, break even. cant blame a man for that. good luck with the sale.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
90, d90