Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
seems the engine lost its blow by issue too

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2011, 03:35 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Hi guys, Lets just stop with the acusations first.

Yes I did buy this truck From James. For the most part it was as advertised and I told him that. The following items were not disclosed fully and thus me asking James for some money back (which he never responded to):
  • New Battery - $115
  • Dead Spare - $100(I got a used Tire one and threw it on the rim for now)
  • New Air Filter - $34 (and I say new b/c it didn't even have one in there).
  • It has some holes in the floorboard under the battery which I have to repair - ($100 or so for that lets say)
  • Half the exhaust is MISSING (muffler back) - $100 fix at a muffler shop I'm guessing
  • James said neatly rhino lined - the whole underside of the hood is peeling and needs to be addressed but I wont assign a $$ amount to that
  • Jumper seat that came with it doesn't fit I ordered new ones, but lets just say thats a freebie too
  • Another $50 and about 3 hours sorting out the exterior lights
  • The rear wiper motor is siezed and wired incorrectly. It gets power as soon as the key is turned on. It damn near set fire to the truck, good thing I smelled the melting plastic and disconnected it. I spit on it and my spit literally sizzled - $50 for the wipe motor at least
As for the blow by - I haven't driven the truck enough yet to determine if its serious or not. I installed a oil/air seperator ($155) and a new breather cap ($132). I did a comp test and without knowing the exact specs for the vehicle they all seemed to be in line with each other. Although not great they were right around 300 if I recall correctly. All forced induction engines are going to have blow by. Thats why manufacturers put breather valves on engines in the first place (even NA motors). Again, since I haven't driven the vehicle any long distances (i just got it insured today), I will see how much oil collects in the seperator and judge from there if the rings are indeed worn or if its another issue.

Moving on. Yes I paid $9500 for the truck, and paid about $700 to have it shipped. Since then I've spent what was shown above plus $450 for new upholstry on the front seats, $250 for new rear seats. I have my neighbor who owns a sheet metal shop bending up diamond plate wheel well covers to dress up the rear compartment ($250), lined the floor of the rear with rubber matting ($50 ), cleaned it in and out (it was horrificly dirty). So all in all I'm into the vehicle for around $11500- $12000. I put it for sale locally to see if I can make a couple bucks and why not? Is there anything wrong with that? I enjoy wrenching on projects like this. If I sell it great, if I dont o well, I'll keep it for awhile. I'm in monmouth county NJ, not exaclt known for its rugged outdoors. The person who would buy this truck would probably take it right to a resto shop and drop $70k to have a frame off job done on it without thinking twice. I'm not trying to scam anyone and I dont think I've done anything of the sort.

I hope this clears up any confusion and I would at least appreciate a response from James in regards to the relatively minor issues I outlined above.
Old July 28th, 2011, 03:58 PM
quick128
Trevor Ross
Series 109 diesel

maybe it's the discoweb coming out in me, but you sound like a dick...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2011, 04:13 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I dont think his price is out of line.

Good luck with the sale. I think you should post it in the for sale section with a proper and extensive advertisment.
Old July 28th, 2011, 04:37 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
I dont think his price is out of line.

Good luck with the sale. I think you should post it in the for sale section with a proper and extensive advertisment.

Thanks, as I mentioned I really am in no rush to sell it, If i do great, if I dont o well, I"ll enjoy it for awhile.
Old July 28th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by quick128 View Post
maybe it's the discoweb coming out in me, but you sound like a dick...
LMAO

Trevor.. please tell us how you feel .. do not hold back
Old July 28th, 2011, 05:35 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
LMAO

Trevor.. please tell us how you feel .. do not hold back

Wow this guys name is Trevor and he's saying I sound like a d*ck???.. this ones too easy
Old July 28th, 2011, 06:17 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Looks like the new owner joined yesterday. "bossman429" is his name. Surprised he hasn't tried reselling it on here.
Seriously how do you know that. You have some insane stalker skills. What am I wearing right now? What is the tread depth on my non matching spare?
Old July 28th, 2011, 07:11 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
You have some insane stalker skills. What am I wearing right now?
Hmmmm, right now? I'm guessing you're wearing this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Barrys Puma 5.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	40670  
Old July 28th, 2011, 07:17 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

you are one creepy douche. Time to make my flickr account private
Old July 28th, 2011, 07:18 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
haha I've had that made for quite a long time.
Old July 28th, 2011, 07:26 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Where in hoboken to you live, I just moved from there last year to Red Bank... Lived there for 3 yrs Great place!
Old July 28th, 2011, 07:32 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
downtown Hoboken. I move back to NYC this weekend.
Old July 28th, 2011, 07:36 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Lol everytime I hear someone say "downtown" hoboken I always laughed a bit... there is no downtown or uptown... its less than a mile long lol.

Either way very cool. I'm do for a visit to La Isla soon... best restaurant in the world... hands down.
Old July 28th, 2011, 10:47 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Josh, Barry..: Nice.

I just laughed my ass off showed the thread to my wife and she said: "you guys are cute in a nerdy way...."

------ Follow up post added July 28th, 2011 11:08 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Hmmmm, right now? I'm guessing you're wearing this?

that is one of the best things i have seen on this board. its up there with this post http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...9&postcount=12
Old July 28th, 2011, 11:49 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Hi guys, Lets just stop with the acusations first.

Yes I did buy this truck From James. For the most part it was as advertised and I told him that. The following items were not disclosed fully and thus me asking James for some money back (which he never responded to):
  • New Battery - $115
  • Dead Spare - $100(I got a used Tire one and threw it on the rim for now)
  • New Air Filter - $34 (and I say new b/c it didn't even have one in there).
  • It has some holes in the floorboard under the battery which I have to repair - ($100 or so for that lets say)
  • Half the exhaust is MISSING (muffler back) - $100 fix at a muffler shop I'm guessing
  • James said neatly rhino lined - the whole underside of the hood is peeling and needs to be addressed but I wont assign a $$ amount to that
  • Jumper seat that came with it doesn't fit I ordered new ones, but lets just say thats a freebie too
  • Another $50 and about 3 hours sorting out the exterior lights
  • The rear wiper motor is siezed and wired incorrectly. It gets power as soon as the key is turned on. It damn near set fire to the truck, good thing I smelled the melting plastic and disconnected it. I spit on it and my spit literally sizzled - $50 for the wipe motor at least
As for the blow by - I haven't driven the truck enough yet to determine if its serious or not. I installed a oil/air seperator ($155) and a new breather cap ($132). I did a comp test and without knowing the exact specs for the vehicle they all seemed to be in line with each other. Although not great they were right around 300 if I recall correctly. All forced induction engines are going to have blow by. Thats why manufacturers put breather valves on engines in the first place (even NA motors). Again, since I haven't driven the vehicle any long distances (i just got it insured today), I will see how much oil collects in the seperator and judge from there if the rings are indeed worn or if its another issue.

Moving on. Yes I paid $9500 for the truck, and paid about $700 to have it shipped. Since then I've spent what was shown above plus $450 for new upholstry on the front seats, $250 for new rear seats. I have my neighbor who owns a sheet metal shop bending up diamond plate wheel well covers to dress up the rear compartment ($250), lined the floor of the rear with rubber matting ($50 ), cleaned it in and out (it was horrificly dirty). So all in all I'm into the vehicle for around $11500- $12000. I put it for sale locally to see if I can make a couple bucks and why not? Is there anything wrong with that? I enjoy wrenching on projects like this. If I sell it great, if I dont o well, I'll keep it for awhile. I'm in monmouth county NJ, not exaclt known for its rugged outdoors. The person who would buy this truck would probably take it right to a resto shop and drop $70k to have a frame off job done on it without thinking twice. I'm not trying to scam anyone and I dont think I've done anything of the sort.

I hope this clears up any confusion and I would at least appreciate a response from James in regards to the relatively minor issues I outlined above.

Um....he was advertising it as a project truck or a starter truck...would expect at least these issues...

- $115 for a battery? Any dealer/seller if they knew the battery were dead...would pay no more than $50 to put one in for the sale
- and he did specifically mention the spare (at least on his d-90 ad)
"spare tire is dead"
- $50 and 3 hours to sort out the exterior lights. I think anyone on this forum would be amped if they could sort out their exterior lights for $50 and 3 hours...have you seen the bullet connectors that the "engineers" at Land Rover designed?
- Any $$ spent on the motor is just whining, as the motor was identified as potentially bad.

Everything else including the battery and spare (except maybe the rear wiper) should have been seen in an inspection...I would not call you back either...

This is a non-NAS Defender and is 23 years old...WTF do you expect?

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old July 29th, 2011, 06:49 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSLongLake View Post
Um....he was advertising it as a project truck or a starter truck...would expect at least these issues...

- $115 for a battery? Any dealer/seller if they knew the battery were dead...would pay no more than $50 to put one in for the sale
- and he did specifically mention the spare (at least on his d-90 ad)
"spare tire is dead"
- $50 and 3 hours to sort out the exterior lights. I think anyone on this forum would be amped if they could sort out their exterior lights for $50 and 3 hours...have you seen the bullet connectors that the "engineers" at Land Rover designed?
- Any $$ spent on the motor is just whining, as the motor was identified as potentially bad.

Everything else including the battery and spare (except maybe the rear wiper) should have been seen in an inspection...I would not call you back either...

This is a non-NAS Defender and is 23 years old...WTF do you expect?
Without understanding everything your making some pretty bad assumptions.

I bought the truck sight unseen and had it shipped. The shop where it was stored knew the battery was dead b/c they had to jump it to get it on the truck, but never told me. The truck driver himself said he thought it was poor that they couldn't of thrown in a battery before shipping it. Where you find a battery for $50 is beyond me. I had a thorough conversation with James as well as the shop he was keeping it at to go over the issues in detail. I asked him specifically if there were any electrical issues and was told no thus my gripe with that.

If you notice I mentioned nothing about the motor in my gripe w/ the truck. That was to defend the fact I've spent money on the truck and validate what I'm asking for it as a re-sale. Why thats anyones business here is beyond me anyways, I haven't advertised the truck for sale here.

I never saw the D-90 ad as I bought it off ebay. I asked him specifically about the tires and he never mentioned the dead spare.

Again, I'm not calling James a liar or anything of the sort. I'm simply stating there were a couple issues which I'll give him the benifit that maybe he forgot about. He was out of the country when this all happened and probably had alot going on. If I were in his shoes however I'd certainly respond to my email before posting about it online thats all. I dont mean to blast anyone or cause any arguements. I just wanted to clear some acusations up that were misleading or untrue.
Old July 29th, 2011, 08:53 AM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Well, I hope to see you around the neighborhood. I drive a S3 109 stationwagon mostly and a red 90 w/partial cage and bimini top and no door tops. Should have the spare on the hood by today or next week.
Old July 29th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I'm new here and will probably be blackballed for stating my opinion, but I simply cannot hold back.

I saw the original FS ad posted by James (who i do not know at all), but it read like a very fair and honest assessment and an even more fair price. I have sold countless vintage cars, most of them "drivers" as opposed to garage queens or concours vehicles, but every single time I sell something I try to offer it at a fair price and be over-honest. the few extra bucks simply isn't worth your integrity.

Now, James seemingly followed that logic and yet he still has to deal with the whining about "sorting".
A battery, REALLY?!?!, Lights-REALLY!?!? Every vehicle we enthusiasts buy needs "sorting" and at $9,500 you're lucky it came with a frame!

As far as the generous markup, ther are two things that come to mind. First, I've learned that this board is made up of mostly knowlegable Roverphiles. Trying to "flip" something at nearly double the price offered to D-90 members is just plain silly (i realize that Bossman had posted on Craigslist originally and only jumped on this thread to defend his honor).

Second, as the saying goes, "Pigs get fat, Hogs get slaughtered" - Just sayin
Old July 29th, 2011, 09:19 AM
quick128
Trevor Ross
Series 109 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
I'm new here and will probably be blackballed for stating my opinion, but I simply cannot hold back.

I saw the original FS ad posted by James (who i do not know at all), but it read like a very fair and honest assessment and an even more fair price. I have sold countless vintage cars, most of them "drivers" as opposed to garage queens or concours vehicles, but every single time I sell something I try to offer it at a fair price and be over-honest. the few extra bucks simply isn't worth your integrity.

Now, James seemingly followed that logic and yet he still has to deal with the whining about "sorting".
A battery, REALLY?!?!, Lights-REALLY!?!? Every vehicle we enthusiasts buy needs "sorting" and at $9,500 you're lucky it came with a frame!

As far as the generous markup, ther are two things that come to mind. First, I've learned that this board is made up of mostly knowlegable Roverphiles. Trying to "flip" something at nearly double the price offered to D-90 members is just plain silly (i realize that Bossman had posted on Craigslist originally and only jumped on this thread to defend his honor).

Second, as the saying goes, "Pigs get fat, Hogs get slaughtered" - Just sayin
well said, much better than me just calling him a dick, which I still think he is. It's the tone of his posts that do it for me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
90, d90