Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 24th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Group W Bench
Eugene Son
1973 Series 3, 109"
Stage 1/Defender "Hybrid" - 1973 Series 3, 109"

I am selling a 1973 Series 3 109" that would be best described as a Stage 1/Defender "hybrid". Like the Stage 1, this 109" has a Defender front clip and bonnet and V-8 drivetrain. The "hybrid" part comes from the domestic V-8 and running gear. The domestic drive train components include a GM 350 small block, NV4500 5 speed manual transmission, and Dana 60 axles with 3.83 gears and Warn manual locking hubs. While this is not a traditional Land Rover drivetrain, it is very convenient and economical to source parts at virtually any US auto parts store. Additionally, it is dependable and reliable without the continuous tinkering often associated with Series 3 vehicles. This is a left hand drive vehicle.

Inside the truck, there is little evidence the of drivetrain conversion, as the original steering column, shifters, switches, levers and Smith instrument cluster remain unmolested and functional. The only interior modifications for the conversion were the addition of a Painless Wiring fuse panel in the dash, and an auxiliary triple gauge cluster (oil pressure, water temperature, and voltage) under the dash, and a small tachometer on the dash pad. This was a well planned and executed conversion by the previous owner.

The truck has power steering via a Saginaw box. Additionally, it has BFG All Terrain tires with little use and an unused Kuhmo spare. As a Floridian, I can state with absolute certainty that the well functioning air conditioning system in the truck does a far superior job of cooling than the safari roof. The front 2 seats are bucket with a black Tuffy console, and the rear seating is comprised of folding bench jumpseats running down the wheelwell tubs. It has Yakima racks above the safari roof.

The truck has no rust on the frame, bulkheads or body. There are roughly 5-10 round pencil eraser sized rust spots that have caused the paint to bubble on each of the steel window frames. I am told that this is caused by the interaction of the dissimilar metals between the steel doors and the aluminum body.

Why am I selling? The truck won't pull 7,500 lbs of boat, trailer, and fuel without major modification to the drivetrain and frame. My wife was not too keen on the idea of attempting a diesel engine swap and 4.10 gear replacement in the driveway of a deed restricted community; damn homeowners association nazis. Additionally, I don't think the Land Rover would look too appealing as a dually.

I am asking $19,500 and have clear title in hand. The truck is located in Clearwater, FL. I have shipped cross country previously, and was pleasantly surprised by the affordability. I am happy to assist in arranging transport arrangements. Please feel free to call before 9 pm EST at 7two7-4five2-00three1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1LRphoto.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	20720   Click image for larger version

Name:	2LRphoto.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	20721  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3LRphoto.jpg