SOLD 1 abused and Lonely Defender for Sale SOLD - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:31 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

SOLD 1 abused and Lonely Defender for Sale SOLD

If you want the story read on, if not skip down to the Nuts and Bolts.

Hey Guys, itís been a while since I have been on here, believe it or not itís been a while since I have driven my Defender which once was my only car / daily driver. I think itís been almost 2 years since it has really been driven, the last I can remember it was I think October 2006 that I was out wheeling with Jimmy and a few others from around here when I broke the front Diff. I didnít have much time to work on it then and I have even less now, I pulled the diff and had it rebuilt, after reinstalling it I soon found out the shop forgot one of the spacers on the pinion and I had to pull it again and this is where the real problem starts, rather then pulling apart the hubs I unbolted the assembly from the axle housing. The drivers side came off fine, but I broke 3 bolts in the axle flange on the passenger side. I was able to get 2 of the bolts out with a torch and extractor but on the third the extractor broke and thatís where it is at. I have since put it back together minus the broken bolts just so it can be pushed around the driveway. It has not been driven in the last year, so the battery is dead, the started has been dead for a while and I am sure there are some other things in need of some work.

SO then why am I selling it? Well honestly I have been abusing it worse in the last 2 years then in itís entire life, I just let it sit, I donít have time for it. Sure I could hold onto it forever but I if I am not going to drive it, fix it or do anything to it then I should sell it before it becomes a pile of rust and corrosion so that someone else might have some fun behind the wheel. But that doesnít mean I am washing my hands of it, because of the amount of work I have done on it since the day I drove it home Iíd like to be of some assistance to the next owner. The guy I bought it from disappeared after I bought it, I never heard from him again and I really donít know much about it before I bought it in 2002, but I can say I have probably turned at least ĺís of the bolts on that thing, and I know a few quirks specific to it so the next owner has free previous owner tech support. Because of all the help on this site I have been able to do almost all the work on it myself (aside from rebuilding the diffs, I donít have the tools and I work outside), and well Iím only posting it for sale here, sure I might get a better offer someplace else, or a faster sale or it would be more likely to stay local if I post it on Craigís list but I think itís more important that it kinda stays in the family. And if for some reason someone off the list buys it, they are going to be a member here before they drive off with it 

For all those wondering what I have been up to, well I spend a lot of time doing volunteer work for my church, I run a young adult group, help teach confirmation, work with the youth group and a ton of other activities, itís very fulfilling, itís where all my friend from childhood are, and itís where I want to be right now in my life, but it also takes up a bit of my spare time, so the Defender has been lacking because of it. This is an awesome forum, the people here can get you through anything that has to do with a Defender (trust me I have tried it!) and Iím keeping some of the D-90 stickers I have, thereís a new guy in town with a red 95 or 97 and Iím going to stick one on his windshield next chance I get 

The Nuts and Bolts

What you are looking at in these pictures is one used and abused 1994 Defender 90.
Mileage is around 125,000 I think as the OD stopped working at 100k
I would rate the condition as could be better, if you know me at all you know that I donít exactly take it too easy behind the wheel, itís seen 95 mph on the road a few times, itís been in 3+ feet of water a bit, driven in the salty New England winter for a few years, and itís bumped into itís fair share of trees rocks and other random objects. I have never been in any major accidents (just a few people who have bumped into the tires and scraped up their own car  ), and itís never been upside down (just a few close calls)

Things it needs just to drive:
ē Remove the bolt stuck in the front passenger side axle flange (the part the Hub bolts too) So no test drives, itís just not safe.
ē 1 Dead mean green starter (so it wonít start)
ē 1 Dead battery
ē front driveshaft is out
ē lubricate the front axle (itís dry as in needs to be pulled apart to fix)

Things that are in need of work:
ē Rust on rear cross member
ē Rust on seat boxes (if you care about those kinds of things )
ē The seats look pretty bad
ē Doors, well I have them they donít look pretty
ē Top, guess what all I have is a VERY bad full top (it doesnít fit and no rear windows) and a pretty nice surrey top
ē Itís quirky, but thatís how it should be (see the Godís must be crazy)
ē I think the valves are sticking a little as it blows a little smoke when you downshift to slow down

Things that make it itís own:
ē How many defenders come with 36Ē Irokís mounted on 15x10 rims?
ē It has the quirky ability to keep running even though itís in a lot of water
ē Itís been border to border and in LRM a few times
ē Not one straight body panel
ē It gets better mileage with the top and doors off, even in the winter, and slightly better with no hood
ē It has a 4.0 out of a 97 with a serp belt set up off of a 95 disco (yeah that was a Hail Mary pass)
ē Iíve replaced the T-case 4 times, the rear diff twice and the engine once
ē It has a Detroit rear locker and Rover tracks rear axles

Questions? Send them my way Iíll try to keep up with them.

Price, I really donít know the market for Defenders right now, but I would like to get it out of here before winter, it wonít drive on itís own so it needs to be trailered out, I can help load it on a trailer (I can pull it on with my other truck). So check out the pics and let me know what you think.

Thanks everyone
mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1150.jpg
Views:	963
Size:	613.4 KB
ID:	15363   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1149.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	575.0 KB
ID:	15364  

Name:	100_1160.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	558.2 KB
ID:	15365   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1145.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	517.1 KB
ID:	15366  

Name:	100_1146.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	517.0 KB
ID:	15367   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1148.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	530.8 KB
ID:	15368  

Name:	100_1151.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	482.4 KB
ID:	15369   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1152.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	15370  

Name:	100_1153.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	487.3 KB
ID:	15371   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1154.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	488.3 KB
ID:	15372  

Name:	100_1155.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	541.4 KB
ID:	15373   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1156.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	553.4 KB
ID:	15374  

Name:	100_1159.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	533.4 KB
ID:	15375   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1161.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	610.7 KB
ID:	15376  

Name:	100_1157.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	601.8 KB
ID:	15377   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1158.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	553.9 KB
ID:	15378  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:32 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Let's all get together and fix it for Mike.

Does she have stock gears? I would donate a stock front axle to the cause to get her on the road.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:50 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Gasp! I don't have much of it, but I'll donate time to help if that's whats required!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:57 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

lol thanks guys, yeah it's got stock gears and 36" tires :-) I've been taking time off from work every now and then to try and get it running but it's hard as we are soo booked out right now at work. Even if it did run I really don't know how often I would drive it,,, it's funny some of my friends who know very little about fixing cars have offered to help me fix :-P
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:58 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Not sure what I can donate to the cause but let me know. I can pull some stuff out of the yards off of discos or classics if they will fit.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:09 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Dude, great to hear from you finally but dont do it.. You'll end up like me and buy another one.. When did the Irok's go on it? I dont seem to remember that.. Just fix it man.. I'll fly your way and help

Follow-up Post:

Oh yeah, I'll donate an AC unit and it will fit your D90
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:18 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Yeah the Irok's, well they went on a Year ago while I was working on it I decided to replace all the tires because 3 of them were not holding air anymore due to side wall punctures.

Wow and AC unit! Where did you ever find that? Is it still in the box it was shipped in? lol
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:23 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, its paid for, so just sit on it! You will want to get back into it at some point, and lots of guys go back later and want to get their old toys back.

Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:27 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Ok, we need to hijack this thread badly here. Jim, pretend you didnt see this
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:31 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
See what?

Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:44 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

You're a good man And who ever buys it going to be banned
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:51 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwisteD90
You're a good man And who ever buys it going to be banned
You can't ban a Defender owner based on them buying a Defender from here! That doesn't make sense?! lol Besides you wouldn't want to loose one of the coolest Defenders from the forum! :-P

And umm I think this is like WAY off topic, I don't want the owner to come along and ban us all for delinquency!

EDIT: Oh and I haven't posted in like 2 years and I still have more posts then anyone else? Whats up have you guys been slacking?
Old September 22nd, 2008, 10:26 PM
evilfij
evilfij

So all it needs to run is a starter, a battery and a new hub with some axle flange bolts and a couple quarts of 90wt? You can run if it is missing one axle flange bolt, especially if you don't have a front driveshaft. I am going in the attic to find a hub now. Edit: found one. I have one shiny nice abs hub to bolt with five axle flange bolts. Mike PM me your address.

Ron

PS I think someone on the west coast needs to buy this and drive it home.

PPS I took a picture and now I forgot how to upload it.

Follow-up Post:

I would push start it.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 11:00 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
working on that post count

ron I think he means where the swivel ball bolts to the axle housing. Isn't that a through-bolt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
So all it needs to run is a starter, a battery and a new hub with some axle flange bolts and a couple quarts of 90wt? You can run if it is missing one axle flange bolt, especially if you don't have a front driveshaft. I am going in the attic to find a hub now. Edit: found one. I have one shiny nice abs hub to bolt with five axle flange bolts. Mike PM me your address.

Ron

PS I think someone on the west coast needs to buy this and drive it home.

PPS I took a picture and now I forgot how to upload it.

Follow-up Post:

I would push start it.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 11:04 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

I'm good for a starter.

Heck, I'll bet there aren't many here who haven't benefited from Hippert's selfless advice and knowledge.

He needs to be back on the road.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 11:43 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Don't do it, Mike! I still haven't gotten the opportunity to experience you and your truck on the trail!

Hell I'll absolutely put in some hours getting it back up and running. I don't think I've ever seen brake discs so rusty! Do you even have a top for it?

Edit: Saw you said the top doesn't fit.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 11:45 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Ren ching, I thought that too but his description is of the axle flange bolt.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:09 AM
UpnOver
David Williams
'97 Yellow ST

good to hear from you Mike, but don't do it, you will miss it

David
Old September 23rd, 2008, 03:06 AM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

If the truck is at his house, I can steal it so we can get together to fix it. I live .5 miles away (unless you moved)
Old September 23rd, 2008, 07:02 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
They have a term for what you guys are doing . . . "enablers"

That being said, count me in. I am only a few hours away and would be more than glad to help out.

I'll throw in a trickle charger.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
defender for sale