Smokey, the 1984 RHD 110, $15,000 OBO - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old June 30th, 2011, 03:02 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Smokey, the 1984 RHD 110, $15,000 OBO

As permanent employment continues to elude me, and the bills refuse to pay themselves, I've decided to sell Smokey.

What it is – an honest 110, built by me from two trucks, one a 1984 “A reg” van with an NA diesel (built in 09/83), and the other a 1995 “S reg” van with a 300TDi. It's intentionally cosmetically similar to a SIII Stage 1 V8, with a steel grill and Series headlamp rings. It's been a labor of love, sweat and bloody knuckles, and I hate to let it go, but as they say, needs must.

What it isn't – a $100k garage queen bought to prove I have something big in my pants – a wallet. Your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend will not want to ride in it unless they are exceptionally cool (in which case, congratulations). Your dog will love it, unless your dog rides in a purse and gets manicures (in which case, don't contact me).

It just completed a 3,800 mile drive across the US, as feebly documented here. I'd trust it to make the same trip again tomorrow, which is more than I can say for my aching bones.

The asking price is $15,000 with all the spares, or $12,500 for the truck only. $500 discount if you have the stones to drive it back to the east coast (pics or it didn't happen). I'll throw in the earplugs.

Comes with all required paperwork (EPA/DOT releases and Customs entry); has not been registered in the US yet. For a full price sale I could probably be persuaded to register it in Oregon or Washington if that will make it easier for the buyer.

The truck is located in White Salmon, Washington, right across the Columbia River from Hood River, Oregon. I am happy to deliver it for shipping to Portland or somewhere of similar distance.

Ask me anything the below doesn't answer, I'm sure I've forgotten something. I'll get some more pics up later today.

The good:

78k mile 300TDi, R380 and 1.4 LT230, will have a fresh timing belt kit installed before sale
New radiator (aluminum Britpart, cheap but functional)
New lift pump
New oil cooler pipes
New PS pipes
New turbo drain line (feed line is good)
New coolant overflow hoses
New front door locks
Fresh filters and oil at 73k (just before I shipped it in May)
Aluminum coolant header tank and oil separator (will last forever, unlike the LR plastic bits)
Newer exhaust system
New tie rod, drag link, and all new greasable TRE's
New drop arm ball joint
New brakes all round -- calipers, discs, pads. New copper/nickel brake lines from the master to the back calipers. Goodridge +2" braided hoses.
New X-Brake transmission brake
Original handbrake handle replaced with RRC handle to get it out of the footwell, now it's next to the seat -- works better, more legroom
Urethane bushes on the front and rear arms and pitman
+2" springs and shocks, new galvanised front spring pans (rear shocks are pin/pin, so Toyota shocks can be used – more practical in remote places)
New rear door (slightly damaged in transit from the UK)
New rear latch/lock
New windshield seal
New door seals
Good clean seats, no tears or stains, Exmoor seat rails on driver seat
Good dash with Raptor console – panels are cut for and hold 3 gauges and a DIN radio (wired in, no speakers). Room for more gauges, switches, a CB or HAM, etc. Bottom of dash has some screw holes from comms equipment.
Raptor steel instrument binnacle – lifetime part, no more cracks
Rust free seatbox (I replaced the original)
Headlamp wiring upgraded with relays and larger wire
100a alternator (from Disco)
Fresh felt channels on the front windows (roll up)
Rock sliders
Front and rear diff guards
Front steering guard

One sliding side window has new rubber/felt channels, I have the material for the other still to install.

All the electricals work as they should (it's a pretty short list...) The handbrake light hasn't been wired up, and the rear wiper has not been installed in the new door, but it worked fine on the old door. I installed cheap bastard LED's in the gauges, they're better than the old bulbs. The heater gets warm enough for me.

The bad:

Not really bad, but – the fuel tank was leaking. When I stopped in Ohio, I pulled it, cleaned it up and sealed it with JB Weld. It's not leaking any more. Long term, it should be replaced, but it isn't urgent.

A rather ass-looking paint job. I painted it in the driveway with a brush. The goal was to have it all one color, and the same color as stated on the V5, so there would be no issues on import. It worked. Think of it as a blank canvas; my long term plan was matte NATO sand and black bedliner.

The chassis is not perfect, but it's solid. The rear cross member, about 2 feet of the frame rails, and the cross member in front of the fuel tank were all replaced with solid used parts. The front outriggers have been welded. It passes MOT, but it is thin in spots, and if it stayed in the UK it would need to be replaced in 2-3 years. Definitely no safety issue right now, just ugly.

The bulkhead is rough, it has patches, and needs a lot of welding. It leaks around the cowl vents if you are driving in heavy rain, but the seals are old and dried up. Cosmetically it looks pretty good, but the plan was to replace it.

The front doors need welding. They're not flapping in the wind, they could be patched, but my plan was to rebuild the lower frame with new channel from YRM. Ideally they would get lower skins too, they're a little perforated from corrosion along the bottom. They're lift handle doors with the galvanised middle trim rail, so Series skins could be used. The door trim panels are a bit beat, the driver side more so. John Craddock's in the UK shows that they have replacements for about US$75 each, if you want to keep the current doors.

(Editorial note – after driving cross-country, and spending a fair bit of time in warm weather, I decided I want to swap to Series doors with sliding window tops – then it would be easy to go topless in summer).

The rear tub is showing the effects of UK road salting, and the wear and tear of use as a working vehicle. The back half of the floor is covered with a piece of 5 bar chequer. There are some small holes in the floor, some drilled, some corroded. Nothing compromises safety or function, and unless you wade in 3 feet of water they don't leak.

Right now it has a smooth roof with a sunroof. The roof panel has patches from where it had lights and other things on it over the years. My plan was to replace it with an older ribbed roof. The one that came on the original body was too damaged to keep, so the roof on the truck is from the 1995 I bought. Lesser of two evils... When I encountered the tropical-strength rain-blowing-sideways storms in Nebraska, the sunroof did leak a few drips, but not much. First time it ever has, so I am writing it off to the ridiculous weather.

It hasn't got a lot of sound deadening material, so it's pretty noisy inside. Above 55 mph it's downright loud. It would help to insulate and panel the back area, and put a liner under the hood. The bulkhead can be addressed when it is replaced.

The other:

It's right hand drive. I like it; if you don't, you know the drill. Still has RHD Hella E-Code headlamps, I can pop some cheap LHD sealed beams in if you want, but I drove cross country with the RHD lamps (with tape masks on them) with no problems.

Wheels are 7x16 modulars with more backspacing than stock wheels (so you can run wider tires without hub spacers). They've been sanded and repainted, cosmetically OK. Long term they would benefit from being blasted or chem dipped and repainted.

Tires are 235/85-16 Colway recaps with BFG A/T tread, the fronts are pretty much worn out, the rears have another 6 months or so of life. The spare is matching and like new. As far as I can tell, no one in the UK rotates their tires.

The front axle case is very solid. It was a 10 spline, it now has a 24 spline diff and halfs. The case needs the 4 side studs that hold the 3rd replaced, as the early cases had shorter side studs. It isn't a safety issue, but long term it will be a durability issue.

The rear Salisbury could do with a sandblast and paint. It's structurally/mechanically sound and has a good rear cover and new gasket, it just has waxoyl/rust/dirt on the case.

The rear driveshaft is an HD item, but the balance weights have corroded. It doesn't vibrate that I can tell, the UJ's are fine. I have a spare, so it would be easy to bolt that in, pop some fresh UJ's in the HD one and get it balanced.

The cubby is homebuilt, from stuff I had in the garage. It's functional...

Overall there are lots of little corroded bits under the truck, I've been replacing/refurbishing things as I go, and again, if it was mostly cosmetic it was back burner.

Currently has a stock fan/clutch on the engine but no shroud (I ran without a fan in the UK). It has never come close to overheating, but I was planning to install an electric fan in the future.

Other parts (not installed)--

A/C compressor and required pulleys/idlers
Spare starter
Spare complete cylinder head
Spare brake vacuum pump
Spare turbo (without exhaust manifold)
Spare rear drive shaft
Spare clutch MC
Spare 65a alternator
New wiper drive shaft and two new wiper wheel boxes
Rebuild seal kits for the brake MC and clutch slave
New hood mount for spare tire (spare is currently loose in the bed)
Set of new tank to engine fuel lines (lines are for the set up with sedimentor, need a new sedimentor to complete)
A factory hand throttle with new cable (requires some simple bracket fabricating on the IP end)
A couple spare valve cover gaskets and a spare serp belt
Two swivel gaiter kits (each does a pair)
Spare set of rear springs that match the fronts. The factory rear springs are +2” (commercial body)
A new set of heavy duty rear spring retainers with hardware
The remainders of a new set of major suspension fasteners (mostly the large bolts/nuts for the rear A-arms, the front ones have been installed)
A set of used but good rear A-arms (was planning to replace the existing when I did the ball joint, just drop and swap the whole set)
A factory saddle tank, filler neck/hose and the filler body mount, and a military tank switch valve -- potential for ~35 gallons total fuel capacity, giving about a 700 mile range

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SmokeyUS1.JPG
Views:	704
Size:	631.5 KB
ID:	40003  
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2011, 04:41 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

I found a new reinforced clutch release arm and all the little clips and stuff too.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old June 30th, 2011, 10:21 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Link to all the pics I got before my camera batteries died. The truck is filthy, the underside is covered in dust from some back road shortcuts I took on my trip. The UJ's had just been greased, so that's the source of the grease spots. The truck doesn't leak in any significant way. The TCase and oil pan seep a tiny bit, but never drip.

https://picasaweb.google.com/velocewest/Smokey
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2011, 11:50 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Say it isnt so!!
Old July 2nd, 2011, 03:17 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Was I too honest? I'm a bit surprised at the lack of interest. This is a solid, strong running truck, with all the mechanical stuff sorted. Cosmetics are cheap, at least they should be -- it's a Land Rover, it doesn't need a $5,000 paint job or any bling. I even surrendered to convention and painted the sliders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old July 2nd, 2011, 08:50 AM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Do you have it for sale on other forums? You also put it up at the start of a holiday.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:57 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Tony, it seems like a great deal to me. Just bad timing with the holiday weekend.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 03:26 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS888 View Post
Was I too honest?
Yes.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 07:57 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Yes.

------ Follow up post added July 3rd, 2011 12:59 AM ------

I was a bit clueless about the holiday. Been out of the country for 3 years...

I've posted on ExPo and the NWOS site. Need to get a message out to the PCRC, and my membership is expired.\
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old July 2nd, 2011, 09:44 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Try the canadian forums.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:19 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

PM me your listing and I will send it out to the PCRC mailing list.

Quote:
Need to get a message out to the PCRC, and my membership is expired.\
Old July 16th, 2011, 12:04 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

I now know the sound of one hand clapping...
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old July 16th, 2011, 01:50 AM
isleofman
Lee Davis
'95 D90 "BeastLee"

i might know of someone here looking to buy. Will print pics and take it to him. I would love to come and take a look...only danger is that I might end up buying and then my spouse might want a divorce!!! The kids will love it though...will keep you posted!
Old July 16th, 2011, 11:47 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Thanks Lee!
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old July 16th, 2011, 11:48 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS888 View Post
What it isn't a $100k garage queen bought to prove I have something big in my pants a wallet. Your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend will not want to ride in it unless they are exceptionally cool (in which case, congratulations). Your dog will love it, unless your dog rides in a purse and gets manicures (in which case, don't contact me).

Damn, if I had the money I would just give it to you just for that paragraph!

Good Luck, though I hope you can find a way to keep it.
Old July 17th, 2011, 02:04 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Tony, if you need a place to store it, drive it to Boise. I have an extra garage bay..........
Old July 20th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Tony,
We were talking about 6 months ago on the UK forum. Wanted to thank you again for your assistance and advice there.

You are right on the money with the price. Very fair. THe only thing I could see holding it back is maybe its a 3-door? Still, looks pretty good for $15k compared to the others on Fleabay for that price. Good luck with the sale.

BTW- I noticed "Velocewest" in your link to the Picasa site and it rang a bell. Were you a member of e9Coupe.com by any chance? I was a member for years and remember there was an active member who owned a really nice E9 "Velocewest". Cooincedence?

-AC (from Boston)
Old July 20th, 2011, 05:46 PM
grich876
Rich
-

Posted it on the site for you... let us know how you make out!! http://defender110forsale.com/defend...-washingt.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 11:44 AM
eludvigs
Erik Ludvigson
1994 Defender 90 NAS

Dont think I can import this into CA with our nifty smog regs. Good luck w the sale.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 02:18 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by eludvigs View Post
import this into CA
California is now a separate country ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
110, 1984, rhd