Old July 6th, 2015, 10:36 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Sketch Ebay Listing

So just a heads up on this truck:

Land Rover Defender 109" LHD | eBay

I won the auction today, after speaking with the seller a few times, getting some extra pics etc.

He explained to me prior to auction end that a friend of his imported the truck, had it at a shop to get work done but then when they realized the engine was toast didn't want to bother with it anymore. Said he bought it from his friend and is now selling it due to having another kid and not enough time for it. Long story short i was told it had an "open" title from the shop that imported the truck. The eBay listing says it has a clear title.

Well, i win the auction, and the fun begins.

He immediately ask for his $2k deposit via paypal. I told him i can come get the truck tomorrow and i prefer not to give him the deposit via paypal since i'll be there within 24hrs to pick it up, and can give it all in cash, check or whatever method he prefers, but not until i see the truck in person. After a bunch of gripe and back and forth he finally agrees.

I then ask to see the title documents and import papers that he has, so i can run it by a family member who owned a dealership, just to make sure i can title it. Well he sends me a few blurry pics thats can't be made out. I ask him to scan it in (not just cell phone pics) and he tells me he doesn't have time for this and i should have asked for this before the auction ended. After a lot of back and forth, name calling and threats to cancel the sale, i tell him to go ahead and cancel it. I can't buy a truck without knowing it can be titled, additionally the auction says clear title. he agrees and says yes a clear Norwegian title. I don't think thats what eBay means when they give you the option for a clear title in the listing lol!

So buyers beware. To be honest i don't think he got the money he wanted for it and was just looking for a reason to cancel the sale. He threatened to do that right from the beginning when i wasn't willing to send the deposit.

A few red flags that i picked along the way:

1. Listed as a defender, clearly not a defender but a series 3
2. Says its a diesel but the pictures show a gas head and spark plug
3. says it was running but had a cracked head, but now the pistons are seized...how do you go from a running truck needing a new head to a seized engine???
4. Couldn't give me a straight answer on the title and how he got the truck from the first conversation
5. Was insistant on a $2k deposit even though i was coming down the next morning.

So - long story short, I'm don't doubt that this truck is imported legally, i just wasn't going to be the schmuck to try and get it titled without knowing how it got here! plus the signature on the Norwegian title is dated 2001 from what i can see and it isn't his! Im sure it will be back up in eBay, just make sure you have everything you need document wise before bidding. I wasn't going to take the gamble.

Too bad, was really looking forward to restoring this truck but I think I'll have to wait for another one to come along with an actual US title (or import one myself through an importer)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 6th, 2015, 10:48 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Too bad, a very quick scan looks like it could have been a decent deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Listed as a defender, clearly now a defender but a series 3
That's pretty common actually. More people know "Defender" than know "Series III" so likely to get more people looking.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old July 6th, 2015, 11:03 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Couldn't you have asked one of the local guys to go look at it and take the pics of the title etc you need if this guy didn't know how to work a camera?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 6th, 2015, 11:04 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
Too bad, a very quick scan looks like it could have been a decent deal.
That's pretty common actually. More people know "Defender" than know "Series III" so likely to get more people looking.
Yea i know but a lot of them put "defender" in subtitles or in the auction so it comes up with search as a keyword,

You should still call the car what it is, not what you want it to be.

it is a decent deal but not worth anything if you can't title it, or if titling it is going to be a 6 month ordeal

------ Follow up post added July 6th, 2015 11:08 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Couldn't you have asked one of the local guys to go look at it and take the pics of the title etc you need if this guy didn't know how to work a camera?
He's the one who doesn't want to wait or put in the effort to scan the documents.

I told him I'm in no rush, if he wants to get to it later in the week thats fine, but I'm not giving him any money until i can see the documents clearly and know that it is indeed legal. I was under the impression (from our phone call), it had a clear US title. Turns out it doesn't.

He kept insisting he doesn't have time for this and is going to cancel the sale. I argued to a point but what am i going to do? I can't force him to sell me the car or send me documents. i can only ask.

Trust me, i still want the truck, i just want to know it is legit before i give any money.

I truly believe he doesn't want to sell it for the amount he got, thats why he's so quick to threaten to cancel. He's had the truck for years, now all of a sudden he can't wait another few days to get rid of it?
Old July 6th, 2015, 11:10 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
there are a bunch of us in the area that could've helped - just saying....
Old July 6th, 2015, 11:12 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

We should all take turns buying it then insisting on a scan of the documentation before paying. LOL

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old July 6th, 2015, 11:21 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
there are a bunch of us in the area that could've helped - just saying....
Being local isn't the issue, i can be down there in 3hrs. Its just a matter of if the documents are legit and in order or not.

I've asked him to scan in the HS7, 3520-1, and 7501 forms. According to CBP website thats what you need to title a vehicle thats been imported.

If he has those I'll go get the truck.. if not, and no title.. i don't see how i could ever title it aside from going through the process of a missing title which is a PAIN in the ass (at least here in NJ), and even then i don't know if id be ok since its a imported vehicle.

------ Follow up post added July 6th, 2015 11:22 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
We should all take turns buying it then insisting on a scan of the documentation before paying. LOL
Lol - that would be entertaining!
Old July 7th, 2015, 09:30 AM
chuckc4
chuck b

Adrian, you are doing the right thing.

The whole demand for deposit without some simple documents from the seller is ridiculous. And the inability to take a decent picture of a document with a smart phone and send via email shows either a mental deficiency or the fact the seller is hiding something--out of kindness, I will go with the latter.

Deposit within 24 hours via cash in person for a vehicle is very reasonable. Stating clear title without having one is not. Goof luck getting your deposit back, if you find the title is not clear.... It will be a real pain to get ebay and paypal to help settle this, if you have a problem after the deposit is sent.
Old July 7th, 2015, 09:51 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Just a warning. Many states will not title an imported vehicle based on documents in someone else's name. IE many states do not allow import docs to be transferable.
If that is the case with your state he would have to title it first and then sign the title over to you. While your information from the CBP website is accurate you also need an original foreign registration and an original bill of sale. CBP doesn't title cars so you need to see what your states DMV will accept if you buy a vehicle that has been here a while but never titled by the original importer.

------ Follow up post added July 7th, 2015 09:55 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc4 View Post
shows either a mental deficiency or the fact the seller is hiding something--out of kindness, I will go with the latter.
The man imported a 2.25 diesel 109 with a cracked head and frozen pistons from Norway. I'd go with the former.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 7th, 2015, 10:14 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Doug that was my biggest concern. If it's not in my name or his for that matter there is no way I can title it in NJ.

Glad I didn't give him a penny. Just a heads up to everyone as in sure it will be back on eBay soon.
Old July 7th, 2015, 10:14 AM
dendrite
John
97/D90 #147

Registry
Walk, don't run.....AWAY!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
ebay