Rockcrawler Gwagen for Sale - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old August 9th, 2004, 04:01 PM
GollyGwagen
Chuck Henry
1982 MB Gwagen

Rockcrawler Gwagen for Sale

Well, it didn't go on Ebay so I wanted to post it here. I'm asking $30,000 but will entertain other offers.

Vehicle Description

This vehicle started life as a hardtop 230GE. The modifications came slowly as I continued to build the vehicle to my passion of 4x4 driving.

The top was removed and a roll cage was installed. A custom canvas top was built from the best materials and fits nice and tight. When I take it through a standard drive through car wash no water comes in.

The 2.3l 4-cylinder engine was replaced with the Chevrolet LT1. This is the iron head unit, which is more durable than the aluminum head unit found in the Corvette. I have replaced the cam and had the engine completely rebuilt/balanced by a reputable shop before installation. It should have more horsepower than the Corvette engine in this tune. The alternator was replaced with a Premier Power Welder 190 amp unit complete with control box for welding and running power tools. Changes were made to the inside panels in the front to make room for a oversized Be Cool radiator that is more than capable of cooling this engine. There are two electric fans that will come on at about 190 and back off about 165. With the 160 degree thermostat they almost never come on except a few times on the trail.

The engine is mated to a 700R4 automatic transmission (low 1st and overdrive) which it connected to a Atlas 2 "Highlander" transfer case. This is a twin stick case (choose front or rear or both in high or low range) with a 3:1 gear ratio well known for its strength and reliability. The axles were replaced with a custom Ford 9" axle built with a Track9 racing housing and sports 4.56 gears and a Detroit locker with Moser high strength axles. The front is a Dana 44 with heavy-duty Warn shafts and CTM u-joints also sporting a Detroit locker and 4.56 gears. This drive train has been in place for about 11,000 miles.

The suspension is about a 3.5" lift over stock and is the standard coil springs in the front. The rear is fitted with air springs, which allow you to adjust the ride height. This makes it possible to place the vehicle in a standard 7' garage, which is very nice for a vehicle of this size. There is a small air compressor that is plumbed to the rear bumper which acts as an air tank. There is a air fitting for hooking up a hose there for airing tires up or running impact tools for short periods. Two switches allow you to control each airbag in the rear individually for leveling.

It has custom bumpers both front and rear and has a Warn 9000XD winch with the solenoids placed under the hood. The rear bumper has a sealed bearing swing away carrier that operates smoothly even with me (200lbs) sitting on top of the spare. Very sturdy unit. The bottom sills were cut off and replaced with box steel. I have hit these very hard on many occasions and they do not flinch.

The truck currently sits on 37" BFG Krawler tires mounted to 17x8 steel wheels. The bolt pattern is a standard 5x5.5 so getting other wheels would be cheap and easy. While this works fantastic on the trails, the 4.56 gears are a little tall for the highways I travel here in the Rocky Mountains and I only turn about 1800 rpm at 75 mph. If you changed to 35" tires the power would be better on the highway, but that probably would never be an issue anywhere but the steepest mountain passes here.

The interior has Recaro seats and a Tuffy center console/armrest. The entire tub has been lined with Hurculiner bed lining material to prevent any rust and make it easy to hose out.

One oddity is the fender flares. I modified a set of early Bronco flares to fit the passenger side of the truck. In the slush and snow the tires made visibility poor flinging material up the side. These did the trick nicely and look good but I only have them on the one side. The flares are inexpensive to source and only a little work was required to make them fit up well which I documented on clubwagen.com along with most of the other modifications.

Vehicle Condition

The vehicle is driven everyday and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere in the country. This is a trail rig though and the body is rough. It is pretty straight and has not been torn up. The fender wells have been cut out fairly substantially to make room for the big tires. The body is actually pretty much rust free since I would sand and spray any areas showing surface rust with a rust inhibiting paint. If someone had a mind to it you could replace the panels and update the look to the new G500 and have a great looking truck with plenty of power that is inexpensive to maintain.

The features on the drivers Recaro seat don't work properly, but the passenger side works fine. The rear passenger side shoulder belt doesn't work. The radio display is burned out but it's a cheap cassette unit that I'm sure most people would want to replace anyway. All the gauges but the fuel/warning light cluster have been replaced with Vision VDO gauges which are a fantastic upgrade but look factory. The speedometer is programmable and pressing a button as you pass two mile markers is all you need to do to reset the gauge for gear or tire changes.

There is a snorkel (raised air intake) installed, but it has been disconnected because it was not moving enough air for the engine. There is a small functional hood scoop to help keep the engine bay cool, but since the install of the new radiator it is probably not at all necessary.

The engine runs a little rich, but runs strong. I believe the MAF sensor might be at fault, but it hadn't been a priority since the only indication that anything might be wrong is that the tail pipe is black. The limited space means it has a small muffler but it does have dual catalytic converters. The engine is pretty quiet on the highway, but when you get the revs up it IS loud. You can hear it here:

http://www.clubgwagen.com/extreme/engine/engine.wav

The EGR has been deleted as well as the air pump. Check your local emission laws to confirm engine swap regulations before bidding.

They ONLY reason I am selling this truck is because I have created a Gwagen aftermarket company and need a newer Gwagen with factory drive train for developing products. It has been a great truck and I'll be sorry to see it go. You can see more pictures of the truck on the company website at www.gelaendekraft.com with most pictures in the trail reports section. There is also information to be found on the modifications at www.clubgwagen.com/extreme if you would like to read more.

Please be sure to ask me any questions before bidding. I will be happy to answer all questions, provide additional pictures and give frank and honest answers. While visually it might be lacking, the best parts have been used and a great deal has been invested in this truck that I could never hope to recoup. The drive train alone cost more than the reserve price. Good luck, and happy bidding.

Terms of Sale

Make sure you contact me if you have any questions at all and make sure you are clear as to what you are bidding on. The winning bidder will provide 10% of the winning bid within 10 days of the close of the auction.

There are a few different options for delivery. The buyer could fly in and I would meet them at the airport or if the buyer was willing to pay all related expenses I will drive it to you personally. Any shipping would need to be arranged by the buyer, but I will do whatever needs to be done on my end to make sure it gets loaded properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gwagen1.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	1233   Click image for larger version

Name:	gwagen2.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	465.7 KB
ID:	1234  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2004, 02:34 PM
GollyGwagen
Chuck Henry
1982 MB Gwagen

Price Drop

Price is lowered to $25,000, the driveline is worth more than that!
Old August 18th, 2004, 03:28 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Hey, who's awesome D90 is that

I've seen this truck in person, and I can say that chuck did a great job on this truck and it's second to none.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2004, 06:08 PM
GollyGwagen
Chuck Henry
1982 MB Gwagen

I castor corrected the radius arms, did some work on the brakes and got the engine running really good last week, so it's better than ever.
Old November 15th, 2004, 11:39 AM
GollyGwagen
Chuck Henry
1982 MB Gwagen

Sold.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles