Pricing a D90 when buying/selling - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old September 20th, 2013, 06:03 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

Pricing a D90 when buying/selling

Maybe this belongs in chit-chat, but there seems to be a lot of chatter about pricing a D90 recently so here goes:

Every particular car has three prices: 1) wholesale 2) actual selling 3) wishful

Wholesale price is what a car dealer will give, or what the hypothetical market would give you IF you wanted to sell your car as if it was a perfectly liquid asset. Wholesale is what your car would go for at a dealer-only auction, with no reserve. Selling on Ebay with the right presentation at the right time with no reserve will probably get you a higher price than true wholesale but lower than high retail. Wholesale is way below Kelly Blue Book (KBB also tends to favor the seller, valuing cars higher than market). You can actually get a guaranteed trade-in price by going to Autotrader.com and using their "Trade in Your Car" option. The price quote is instantaneous (24 hours for a rare or older car) and a sponsoring dealer will honor the obviously lowball price. Prepared to be shocked if you ask for a bid on a D90 (it'll be low). Buyer is the market maker because wholesale price is a "I need to sell this car now because I'm leaving the country tomorrow" price.

Actual selling price or true retail is what a car realistically sells for, either at a legit dealer after it has been cleaned up, refurbished (or maybe not, if the dealer is shady) or between two private parties. Both parties are presumably satisfied with the settled on price.

Wishful is my NAS Defender 110 is worth $120,000 or my D90 is worth $ xyz because I never drove it in the rain, or my 2004 Honda Civic is worth $25,000 because I dumped $20k of mods into it.

That said, as a rare niche vehicle any particular Defender 90 may bring whatever the market may bear. Maybe some tech guy just cashed out and always wanted a 97 NAS AA Yellow D90, and is willing to pay anything for it. On the other hand, buyers no matter how much they want a D90 are subject to the lending limits of their bank and other budgetary needs.

My personal experience with buying/selling D90's:

1995 D90 bought 7 years ago in TX (1 owner) for $19k, drove for 1.5 years, tried to trade at Toyota dealer for new FJ, was offered $3,000 (!!!) by the idiot dealer, eventually after shopping around I had a top bid of $13,000 for a 95 D90 ST with 95,000 miles and ended blowing it out on Ebay for $21,000 to a private individual who wasn't a flipper. I did put in a new clutch, other repairs so it was break even.

My current 1994 D90 with 150k miles was floating around this forum last year for $15k, bought by wholesaler, sold to LR dealer who put in $5k of repairs (I have the receipts), sat on their lot for 4 months with no buyer, bought by me for $20,000 right before they were about to give up and auction it off. (They originally had it for $30,000 asking price)

The Golden Rule: "He who has the gold makes the rules"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2013, 06:07 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
There is no true value to a NAS Defender!
Old September 20th, 2013, 06:09 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

I know, I know . . . .but if you take all the legit sales within a given time period, they eventually settle into an "average" price. Outliers on either extreme: so-called "low mileage, never off roaded" D90's for sky's the limit to salvage title buckets that are worth $10,000. If you end up paying way more than the average because "that's what it is worth to me" you may find it very hard to sell later without taking a massive bath.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2013, 06:47 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

Also, unlike many other collector car niches, D90's were imported within a very narrow time frame with simple differences between the years. The differences are: 110 or 90, 94/95 or 97, and hard top or soft top being the main differentiators.

In comparison, look at American muscle cars such as the Mustang, all the different one-off's, the long years of production, options, etc, that make pricing an art form.
Old September 20th, 2013, 07:48 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I think it would be pretty easy to come up with average sale prices, by year, market condition, location, modification, % of rust, and title status.

A simple spread sheet would do...

Old October 16th, 2013, 04:16 PM
flexis
Joe Clifford
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stAirborne View Post
There is no true value to a NAS Defender!

what do you mean no true value?
Old October 16th, 2013, 04:17 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
I think it would be pretty easy to come up with average sale prices, by year, market condition, location, modification, % of rust, and title status.

A simple spread sheet would do...
getting the data is hard though ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
90, buying, d90