Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old August 23rd, 2012, 01:44 AM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Opinions welcome

Hi guys, newbie here but I have been lusting after a d90 sw for years. I need the experts to chime in. I live in vancouver bc and they are super rare up here. I was thinking about importing one from the u.s. but i happened to come across this... Check this out:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...128434453.html

Looks pretty good at first...

Here is the story:
I was a little suspicious when the add said 94 body. Taking a closer look, I noticed the Japanese marker light setup, which I thought was kind of strange. Apparently it is a 94 body on a 86 galvanized frame. Engine is a 3.5 v8 with an auto tranny. With all the work done to it recently, makes me wonder if the drive train is from an 86 too. Did they still make 3.5's in the 90's. Kicker is she told me that it was the personal vehicle of the owner of pacific custom land rovers (and I've read about his reputation).

But it's a great price and only a few Kms away.

What do you guys think?

------ Follow up post added August 22nd, 2012 10:48 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadeus
Hi guys, newbie here but I have been lusting after a d90 sw for years. I need the experts to chime in. I live in vancouver bc and they are super rare up here. I was thinking about importing one from the u.s. but i happened to come across this... Check this out:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...128434453.html

Looks pretty good at first...

Here is the story:
I was a little suspicious when the add said 94 body. Taking a closer look, I noticed the Japanese marker light setup, which I thought was kind of strange. Apparently it is a 94 body on a 86 galvanized frame. Engine is a 3.5 v8 with an auto tranny. With all the work done to it recently, makes me wonder if the drive train is from an 86 too. Did they still make 3.5's in the 90's. Kicker is she told me that it was the personal vehicle of the owner of pacific custom land rovers (and I've read about his reputation).

But it's a great price and only a few Kms away.

What do you guys think?
Btw it supposedly has 79000 miles on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:53 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Mark, welcome to the Defender crowd. I think the way you posed your question may get you lots of different opinions and make things confusing because folks are in these vehicles for different reasons and have had different experiences. If you're more specific about why you want to get into a D90 and what you plan to use it for i think you'll get better advice. No matter what your reasons or intentions I'd advise you to drive it, have an experienced Defender mechanic go over it if at all possible. You should assume the price was set based on the owner's ebay research of what these are going for. But what you want to know is what is it going to cost me to stay in the vehicle based on how I want to use it. Driving it to work and around town, IMO, requires a different investment than if you plan to drive it off road. Off road, IMO, requires a lot more attention to detail and upkeep which equals cash.

Clay
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:55 AM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
I would like to use this for a daily driver and some 4x4 ing on the side. Nothing extreme. Trails and service roads mainly. I'm looking for something semi reliable ( I know wrong vehicle right lol) and I have some money to spend on the right truck but I'm hesitant to fly around to look for it. Plus I'm a bit of an auto enthusiast and don't want to get stuck with the budget truck that doesn't hold it's value and will be hard to sell when I want to upgrade or change it out for another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:03 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadeus View Post
I would like to use this for a daily driver and some 4x4 ing on the side. Nothing extreme. Trails and service roads mainly. I'm looking for something semi reliable ( I know wrong vehicle right lol) and I have some money to spend on the right truck but I'm hesitant to fly around to look for it. Plus I'm a bit of an auto enthusiast and don't want to get stuck with the budget truck that doesn't hold it's value and will be hard to sell when I want to upgrade or change it out for another.
If you have the funds talk to Nene or another reputable dealer in the UK and import. You have an advantage in Canada of being able to bring in 15-year old trucks, most of which are not yet totally worn out...
Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:13 AM
achampagne
Adrian Champagne
06 LR3 HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
The Switch from 3.5 to 3.9 was 1989-90. IMO its also worth closer to $15.

What year is it registered as? The biggest issues is that since its coming from Canada, its an import. So unless you are looking to go through that process, Id pass.

EDIT: just realized you are in BC, so dont wory about teh import aspect, but its still a pieced together truck from various years. I think you could do better buying a 15 yr old truck in the UK.

-Jeff

He is from Canada, so its a non issue.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:16 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post

What year is it registered as? The biggest issues is that since its coming from Canada, its an import. So unless you are looking to go through that process, Id pass.

EDIT: just realized you are in BC, so dont wory about teh import aspect, but its still a pieced together truck from various years. I think you could do better buying a 15 yr old truck in the UK.

-Jeff
he is in Canada... (just saw your edit)

If he brought in a really nicely restored truck from a reputable UK source he could likely drive it around for 10 years and sell it to one of us in the USA for close to what he paid for it...
Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:16 AM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs

-Jeff
Actually I live in Canada. Really tough to find them here. Is Nene a company name?

Lol just read your edit!

Any companies I can trust to import up here and what kind of costs are we talking about? I know depends on vehicle right
Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:20 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Mark, exhaust yourself looking for as close to original and as few owners as you can find within your budget. These should be less expensive to maintain and they should hold their value better than expected. Once you get past their looks these trucks there's nothing magical about them really. In many ways they're poorly designed and they take much more hand-holding then other vehicles asked to do the same things. That of course is only after you get past their looks.

Good luck!
Clay
Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:30 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Any preferences/ warnings on the various engines? Anything I should look out for or avoid?

Btw thanks for those links!
Old August 24th, 2012, 07:46 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Mark, my personal preference would be a 4.6L because I use mine as daily drivers and I drive under 12k a year so fuel cost isn't a huge issue. The diesels I've owned have been loud and slow on the road with lots of shifting. I can't think of one particular engine I'd run away from but if you can gain comfort that an engine has not overheated and has had clean fluids you should be fine.

Clay
Old August 24th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
I've never heard of a 4.6. What year did it come in?
Old August 24th, 2012, 10:55 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
"all years" - just not in a defender. It's an upgrade
Old August 24th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Whidbey
Chris
86' 110

Registry
Andy (unimogfever) has a nice 90 in Langley, BC. Its the blue van side with roof top tent, 200tdi RHD, galvanized frame. Might not be exactly what you are looking for but he's a great guy to work with and is very knowledgable. He also has 2 110's for sale as well.
Old August 24th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
My suggestion.... Go to the next Roverlanders meeting. http://www.roverlanders.bc.ca/ Talk to people in person, look at actual vehicles. Try driving a good TDI, try driving a good V8. Take your time, get educated, decide what you really want.

There are lots around especially on the west coast.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 24th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
time time time

unfortunately time is something that i don't have now... due to some strange set of circumstances i need to pick one of these up and get it back here in the next week. Unless of course i get one imported from the uk... i wont have time for a trip and i will need a car for this winter...

does anyone know of a good and reputable mechanic that knows d90s in New Jersey Tenafly (sp?) area that can do a inspection for me? i may have found a truck...
Old August 24th, 2012, 12:44 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Ha the blue one? It is nice. There's a thread on it on here already.
Old August 24th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Can you post the link. I'm having trouble finding it.

Thanks.
Old August 24th, 2012, 01:56 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadeus View Post
Can you post the link. I'm having trouble finding it.

Thanks.
Try searching Tenafly
Old August 24th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Man.. The guy cancelled the auction . I was getting excited. Good thing I didn't buy my ticket.
Old August 24th, 2012, 04:32 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Why don't you just call his phone number that he listed instead of guessing? If I really wanted the truck, that's what I'd do.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles