Offering import services from Italy. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old October 1st, 2015, 11:25 PM
asif k.

Offering import services from Italy.

I have been importing LHD defenders and some gwagens (from time to time) from Italy for about a year now. I mainly import trucks in a certain price range to be able to price them attractively for sale in the US, these are trucks that will need a little TLC but are serviceable. Many people contact me and say I would be interested if the vehicle was in nicer condition, looking for one that doesn't need work etc etc. I wouldn't personally want to import the higher priced trucks from overseas because I don't want to wait around longer to sell them, the higher the price the harder to find a buyer.

But, with all the inquiries I get for trucks in nicer condition, I have decided to offer import services. My fee will be a flat 3000 dollars if buyer pays for everything upfront(little more than the cost of airfare and hotels/meals etc if you had to go to Europe yourself to find and import one). Then there are language barriers, export documentation complications when exporting from Italy, not as easy as the UK. All other costs and expenses will be actual( supported by invoices) . PM me or email, asif109@hotmail.com to discuss if anyone is interested. Thanks.

Asif Khan
216-577-5982
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 2nd, 2015, 02:28 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Just curious, what all would be included with your services? Do you locate the vehicle? Inspection? Getting to port? Passing customs once it gets here?
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old October 2nd, 2015, 02:39 PM
asif k.

I locate the vehicle or the buyer can find a specific vehicle online in the Italian classifieds and I can inquire whether its available for sale etc, inspection, verifying its not modified in a way that will cause problems for US import, arrange export from Italy and all necessary docs to obtain a US title. Since this is a payment upfront deal I will arrange the Italian paperwork to be in the buyer's name. My broker in Baltimore will arrange customs clearance, collection of the vehicle from the port and it will be delivered directly to the buyer. I will oversee the process all the way till the buyer has possession in the US and ensure buyer gets necessary docs to get a US title, which is the Italian proof of ownership, bill of sale, US customs clearance documents.

My buyer in Italy is a car dealer selling new and used cars with two locations in Rome, he is experienced in sending defenders to me so he knows exactly how to handle the process, he sends the Italian title and invoice/bill of sale by DHL to the buyer. He is the one who will purchase the vehicle after checking its not a scam etc, send me the VIN and pictures of engine so I can verify all is in order, then he works with my shipping agent in Italy to export it to the US.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 2nd, 2015, 03:21 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
So the shipping costs to final destination, say Utah,is included in your price? Or did I misread that part. Fairly certain I misread but can't hurt askin'!
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old October 2nd, 2015, 03:35 PM
asif k.

The 3000 dollar fee is to source and export the vehicle, assist with customs clearance. All costs would be paid by the buyer, this includes shipping costs. For reference, shipping from Italy to Baltimore would be about 2800 dollars at current exchange rates, including transportation to the port in Italy from the seller's location. Shipping to Utah would be at cost, though if you wanted it sent to Utah you would want to choose a port closer to Utah, I believe Houston would be the closest. Shipping from Italy is RORO.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 03:54 PM
asif k.

I'll post an example of what one might cost,

Purchase price, 5000 euros.
Documentation costs in Italy 250 euros
Transport to port in Italy 600 euros
Dealer fee in Italy 600 euros (for this he negotiates with the seller and often gets a better price than I ever could)
RORO shipping to Baltimore 1800 USD
Port unloading fee in Baltimore 66 dollars
Customs entry fee 175 USD
ISF fee 50 USD
Single bond for US customs 50-75 dollars
Marine insurance about 40 to 50 USD
Towing charge to collect from port and store for one week in tow lot 150 USD
Customs duty 2.5 percent of purchase price, so 5000 euros x 2.5 percent
A harbor maintenance fee charged by customs, about 50 USD.
Shipping to buyer address at cost depending on where the buyer is.

My fee 3000 USD.

So all of this is about 13k USD (cleared from customs and landed in Baltimore). For 5000 euros you can get a nicer D90 LHD, of course the nicer you want it you can add to the price. If it were a 7000 euro defender, add about 2300 dollars to the final cost, so $15300 USD. The ones that will sell for 14-15k USD already in the US are the ones that cost about 3500 euros in Italy, they need a little work to make them nice. For the same price the buyer can have something better by doing it this way.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 04:55 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Why is your $3k paid "upfront"? Wouldnt it give your potential clients more comfort if you were paid once the vehicle actually clears customs in the US?
Old October 2nd, 2015, 05:00 PM
asif k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
Why is your $3k paid "upfront"? Wouldnt it give your potential clients more comfort if you were paid once the vehicle actually clears customs in the US?
My 3k can wait, but the other costs would be upfront. Though I would also like some comfort and ask that I get paid at least partially as the vehicle leaves Italy, otherwise the car would be imported in the buyer's name and once it's on the ship the buyer could decide to bypass me and clear it on their own and not pay me anything.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
import, service