Newbie buying advice - Help please - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old October 29th, 2008, 03:18 PM
bctboston
William Tieste
2004 Range Rover

Newbie buying advice - Help please

Currently in the market for a 97 Defender 90 in Black. My main car is a range rover, the defender is going to be a 2nd car to use during the summer. What should I expect to spend for something in good shape, lower miles(under 65k), with no rust? I was hoping to keep it in the low 30s, preferably 31 or 32. Landroversforsale has one for sale, that they currently have listed on eBay. I'm thinking about bidding on it but I don't want to pay too much or buy something that has obvious problems that I might not notice. I figured you all would be the best to ask if the one on eBay is worth the money or not. If you have any advice on where to look, or whether or not I should go ahead and buy the one on eBay I would appreciate the help.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 29th, 2008, 04:23 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

30ish will get you a nice one with around 60k if you bide your time.
Old October 29th, 2008, 06:49 PM
minorthreat
Lance
1997 LE, 1997 Black ST

I doubt landroversforsale is going to give that one up for low 30's... just a guess. Good luck bidding, though. I think $31k-$32k is the right number for a patient buyer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 29th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

If you're interested in a '94 (5spd), I know of one that is for sale at Land Rover Winnetka.

It belongs to the owner and has been well maintained by the dealer. Low miles, black, AC, 2 or 3 tops included...give them a call if you are interested. 847-446-6665
Old October 29th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
That one at Winnetka is a rust bucket. My wife and I test drove it in the summer. It has not been kept up in my opinion. Good amount of rust from what I saw.
I think it is actually the owners son who owns it. That's what I was told.
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:03 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Just hold out for a nice private-sale truck. Even the best deal at a dealer will be a bad value overall. I've also never seen a dealer putting much effort into a Defender (these days) to make it nice. Usually they're sold warts and all for top dollar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 29th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cred
That one at Winnetka is a rust bucket. My wife and I test drove it in the summer. It has not been kept up in my opinion. Good amount of rust from what I saw.
I think it is actually the owners son who owns it. That's what I was told.
I wouldn't call it a rust bucket, but you didn't see my 110 when I got it! haha

Anyway, I know it has had a lot of maintenance done to it, every year he would bring it in and have us go over it and replace anything it needed. I know the fuel tank skid plate was real rusty, but that has been replaced. Other than that it isn't bad from what I remember. I have driven it quite a bit actually and it runs well. BTW, you are correct that it is the owner's son, but I believe he is part owner as well. His wife drove it more than he did though...she loved that thing.
Old October 30th, 2008, 02:02 PM
artpeck
Art Peck
1995 NAS D-90

For what it is worth, I bought my AA Yellow 3rd owner 95 for $28k. 64k miles. Not a speck of rust. Fully and originally stock, no AC. Serviced its entire life at a LR dealer. If you look and have patience you can find one i great shape. I lived in Wilmette for 14 years and know what the winters do to cars there. You may want to think about looking for a truck out west that has not been subjected to a 13 years of midwest winters.

Art Peck
Old October 31st, 2008, 01:00 PM
akfisher
robert hall
95 d-90sw

i'm surprised keith at copleys hasnt chimed in here since you live in boston. they may charge a premium but they can be trusted. you cant always say that about private deals. like some of the other defender dealers parkcity, britrover,landroversforsaleetc they often get a line on vehicles before anyone else gets a shot. if you let them know what you are looking for then they might be able to find it for you. you WILL pay more but as a newbie you can also avoid losing a large sum on a piece of junk or a scam.(voice of experience here). east coast rovers also has a new "certified" defender sales program on their website, you might see what they have available as well.
Old October 31st, 2008, 01:22 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
thanks for the kind words robert!!
william i invite you to come over or call or email. i would be more than happy to try and help.
Old October 31st, 2008, 07:48 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Just hold out for a nice private-sale truck. Even the best deal at a dealer will be a bad value overall.
Good advice. Those dealer sales commissions have to come from somewhere...
Old October 31st, 2008, 10:21 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

I bought my 97 black D-90 from Copley and it was a fantastic experience. You don't think anyone really pays the prices they are asking do you? :-) Stuart was very informative and low pressure. I had tons of questions and he was more than happy to answer everyone.

They were GREAT to work with even arranged for the purchase of my trade in Florida. They helped with delivery and even had a number of minor service items done to the truck before delivery at CitySide Garage. I would use them again in a minute and recommend them if you are the least bit leary of buying from a total stranger.
Old October 31st, 2008, 10:22 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
If you're going to buy from a dealer, its got to be Park City or Copley - at least premium prices mean premium trucks with those guys. Most other dealers charge premium prices and then your armor-all wears off after a week.

Old November 6th, 2008, 09:20 AM
bctboston
William Tieste
2004 Range Rover

Thank you for all the help and suggestions....I tried buying the Black 1997 Landroverforsale had on eBay. Bid it up to 34k and it still didn't hit their reserve. Been in contact with the owner of the 97 listed here http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=16961 Seems like a good deal, but its white and I am really looking for black. Not sure if I should be patient and wait for a black one, or pull the trigger
Old November 6th, 2008, 09:27 AM
sirjond
Jonny
1995 D90 ST Alpine White

I would suggest calling landroversforsale.com and talking to Stephen about the black one if that is the color you want (if you didn't do so already). I purchased a truck from them and got it for what I wanted to pay, AND it is a great truck. They are very reasonable, very helpful and very honest.
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Yeah, you're looking to pay a fair price, get the color you want. If you were trying to steal a D90 for $12k or something I would say take what you can get, but when you're spending fair money for a truck in good shape that you aren't rebuilding etc. I would definitely wait for the right one.
Old November 6th, 2008, 12:59 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

I looked at that black one on ebay and it looked like it had a few issues that may have been painted over. It looked like the rear bumper and some other parts. It was hard to tell from the pics. I'm not sure if it was damage or corrosion...I'm not sure what that means for the rest of the truck. Either way, if you're picky and you're spending a good chunk of change on it, I'd have someone check it out or go down there and check it out yourself. Good Luck!

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old November 6th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Have you tried autotrader.com?

That is where I found mine and I got a killer deal a few years ago.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
buying