Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old September 2nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
serialNSXer
Anil Sethi
'93 NAS110 #451 "Elliott"

NAS#451 for sale, Palenque expedition photos

Greetings

Being a complete newbie to vehicle dependent expeditions, and Land Rovers in general, I thought to convey to this forum the experience my family and I had into Mexico. Last month, my wife and two teenage sons accompanied me in our newly built Defender on a VDE to the Mayan ruins in Mexico. We convoyed with Peter Sweetser and his son Oliver in their oh-so-original Camel Trophy Defender. Though the pictures tell the best parts of the story, I thought to add a few paragraphs as below.

To suggest that we were on a tight and aggressive schedule is putting it mildly. From South Florida up the panhandle, through Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, and all the way down through Texas to cross the border at Brownsville. Then through Mexico and high-tailing it originally to Belize and Guatemala, with our final destination at Tikal. All this and back again...in two weeks!? What were we thinking?

For most of the way through the US we were at terminal velocity for two heavily laden, underpowered, trucks. But we still managed 65-70mph along this route. Crossing into Mexico is a whole other story. It was slow going for me as I didn't know how to maneuver nearly 2.5 tons of truck on badly canted roads. That is, when there were paved roads. So, one of the things we learned early-on is that VDE is all about making up the route as you go along. And so we did. Having met two gentlemen on their drive back from Guatemala and Tikal, they warned us that security and border problems made that part of the journey arduous. So our new plan was to swing by the Mayan ruins at El Tajin , with an ultimate destination of a Palenque.

All during this, the Land Rover was an absolute juggernaut. It is my 79th vehicle I've owned since beginning driving at age 16. And with a backdrop of having Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches, and a plethora of both muscle cars and out-and-out race cars, I can freely admit that a Defender is an absolute gem of a vehicle. It's so "old school," which is exactly what I love about it, in this world of technology driven vehicle design. Boring. A Porsche is a marvelous car, but antiseptic compared to the fully engaged experience of a Land Rover. I guess I'm getting old when I appreciate a Defender over my Porsche race car. But there you have it, the experience of traveling with your family, kids whining and all, to a Mayan ruin, is -- as they say, priceless. The Defender didn't miss a beat the entire 5,000 mile journey. Of course we had fully prepared it with cold air-conditioning and all the amenities one could require for such a trip. We had even over prepared the 110 as it was to be our vehicle for a round-the-world trip scheduled for 2011.

But, you folks on this forum already know what I learned. That such expeditions never turn out as you plan, and you learn so much more you didn't expect to learn. And so it was for us. We made mental notes along the way in Mexico of what our journey would be on our 18-month global expedition to follow. So much so that it looks like we will start from London instead of South America, in a different vehicle prepared for a slightly different VDE. A newer Defender that is more conducive to a pair of old fogies into their 50s. I think my wife and I learned that air-conditioning is more than a blessing, closer to a necessity, to help us sleep through the night. And squatting for #1 or #2 behind a bush just ain't going to cut it for my Mrs.

Possibly, we can invent a whole new kind of VDE for others to follow? A more gentler VDE, one that tracks a route first through Europe as a way to get comfortable with overlanding. Staying in B&Bs instead of schlepping up and down a ladder to tent for the night. Then, cross into northern Africa where there is a mature expedition industry. Next, putting the truck on the water towards safari country near South Africa. And again on the water headed towards Asia, followed by the last stop in Australia, before returning back to the good ol' US of A. We expect not to spend too many nights camping or tenting, instead looking for a bed and breakfast which offers a quaintness all its own. Not to mention a fully functional bathroom -- as my wife continually points out.

So the long and short of it is that our current 110, Elliott, is up for sale to a good home. Being a realist, I don't expect to recoup 110% of what I put into building out this vehicle for expeditions. For those more interested, I can provide the contact of Peter Sweetser, who built it with an "open checkbook" policy for the build. Peter is the general manager of Land Rover in Tampa. His head mechanic Bill did all the work personally. Bill trained in South Africa and worked on more Defenders than he cares to remember. Our team goal after I purchased Elliott was to remove the bling-bling and put the truck back to stock. With the exception of what all of us would call smart modifications. To answer the $64K question, I have about $68,500 into the vehicle now. Some of the bling that came off the truck also flows to the new owner. This includes up words are $5,000 stereo gear.

Once Elliott is sold, we began our search in Europe for a 25-year-old, LHD, diesel 110. We will use this as the donor vehicle for 100% correct Defender build out using newer parts. The intention is to build a Camel Trophy clone, in CT yellow. I am not sure where the world is headed but I do know that the stock color white -- in certain parts of the world -- bring out a sniper rifle. And, I want to enjoy my experience, so white is out and Camel Trophy yellow is in. Moreover, I have read and heard that whenever people see a CT yellow defender it brings out smiles, rather than weapons. I can't think of a better reason to build a Camel Trophy clone than the traveling safety of my wife and I.

Below is the original advert from http://www.britrover.com/ whom I bought the Defender from and who was terrific to work with.

Body Style 4DR
Mileage 164450
Exterior Color Alpine White
Interior Color Charcoal twill-effect Vinyl
Engine 3.9 litre V8
Transmission Manual
Drive Type Permanent 4-wheel Drive
Fuel Type Petrol
Stereo
Doors
Stock No C134A
VIN SALDH1289PA921813

Additional information:
1993 North American Specification Defender 110, #451/500. Alpine White with Charcoal grey interior. Updated 4.6 litre Rover V8 motor. Fully Hannibal roof rack with side-awning and roof mounted tent. Front ARB Brush bar with integrated winch capability. 2 inch Suspension lift with aggressive tires, Rock Sliders, and an onboard water storage tank. Substantial audio and built in Garmin Navigation systems. Other extras include Secondary Air Conditioning and an ARB Refrigerator/ Freezer. Fully rebuilt and restored to handle any adverse condition or terrain. L-o-t-s of mods and updates since I bought it, over $20K worth.

If anyone is interested in contacting me about this expedition equipped Defender please e-mail anil.sethi@xlipstream.com I will immediately put you in touch with Peter Sweetser who can give you all the gory details.

If you are serious and fair, we will arrive at a deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elliott.jpg
Views:	1789
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	15060   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 0920 hdr.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	15061  

Name:	IMG 0922 hdr.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	454.2 KB
ID:	15062   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0049.jpg
Views:	1155
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	15063  

Name:	IMG_0128.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	15064   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0324.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	15065  

Name:	IMG_0408.jpg
Views:	762
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	15066   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0671.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	15067  

Name:	IMG_0862.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	15068   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0902.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	15069  

Name:	IMG_0924.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	15070   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1050.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	15071  

Name:	IMG_1059.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	15072   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1127.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	15073  

Name:	IMG_1168.jpg
Views:	1217
Size:	550.5 KB
ID:	15074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9835.jpg
Views:	1269
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	15075  

Name:	IMG_9907.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	15076   Click image for larger version

Name:	mexico 167.jpg
Views:	923
Size:	486.4 KB
ID:	15077  

Name:	mexico 182.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	512.7 KB
ID:	15078   Click image for larger version

Name:	ruinshdr.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	15079  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'91 Schumacher Benetton F1,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 1993 CT 110, '68 Mini, '59 Isetta, '08 Civic Hybrid, '07 Element 4WD 5-spd, 125cc EasyKart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Nice pictures. I would love to own a built up rig like Elliot one day.
Good luck with the sale and future 110 buildup.

Gery
Old September 2nd, 2008, 07:38 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Nice pics the white 110 is a real beauty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:30 PM
serialNSXer
Anil Sethi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityD90
Nice pictures. I would love to own a built up rig like Elliot one day.
Good luck with the sale and future 110 buildup.

Gery
thanks. if you view the nsx build in my sig block, you will note the quality i intend to put into the CT build. and i'll document with photos like the nsx build.

, 1993 CT 110, '68 Mini, '59 Isetta, '08 Civic Hybrid, '07 Element 4WD 5-spd, 125cc EasyKart
Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:12 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Anil- Great pics and wonderful trip. My brother and I did the same trip on the same schedule about a dozen years ago- via mototrcycles. We spent 4 days in Akumal diving/snorkling prior to it's development. Anyway, I have a Tdi 110 outfitted a while ago by Nene Overland in the UK, although it is white, that can be easily changed. Also, check out a few of my past trucks at www.theroverbarn.com . We are actually in Fl this week and next, but feel free to pm me if you would like to discuss a possible trade, or if you want to check out the Nene truck- LHD w/ A/C. Cheers.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 11:01 AM
BOBCAT110
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90

I know this vehicle,Anil,Pete, and it's previous owner. I have also logged many miles in it personally in the past. It is a great 110 and the people that have been involved in it are the best! Those looking for a NAS 110 might want to consider it.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 11:17 AM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Great pics and write up. My wife and I would love to do a similar trip someday.
Old September 5th, 2008, 11:43 AM
redhummer96
Taylor
None

Asking price?
Old September 6th, 2008, 10:44 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

He is looking for something in the $60,000+ range.
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:54 PM
redhummer96
Taylor
None

Thanks.....email sent.
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:04 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Is that Schuey F1 car a roller? Think I saw that on the market a few years ago.. Like, 10 years ago.
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:07 PM
serialNSXer
Anil Sethi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCAT110
I know this vehicle,Anil,Pete, and it's previous owner. I have also logged many miles in it personally in the past. It is a great 110 and the people that have been involved in it are the best! Those looking for a NAS 110 might want to consider it.
Ken, thanks for the props. Ran great through the trip, didn't miss a beat.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOB
Is that Schuey F1 car a roller? Think I saw that on the market a few years ago.. Like, 10 years ago.
Good eye. Yes, that's THE actual (not a roller) 1991 Schumacher Benetton F1 #191-B, that he raced at the end of the '91 season and the beginning of the 1992 season (with new livery).

Scored points in South Africa in this very car. I had it completely rebuilt in the UK with the same Cosworth V8 motor Benetton ran back then, approximately 725HP. I'm a small guy, but its a tight fit none-the-less
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	-92za_a159.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	15220   Click image for larger version

Name:	-92za_d041.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	15221  

Name:	Benetton Certificate 191B 08.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	15222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Benetton F1 arrives_2.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	492.8 KB
ID:	15223  

Name:	DSC00133_1.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	15224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Earl in Benetton at Road America.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	15225  

Name:	Schumacher in my 1991 Benetton.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	15226  

Old September 11th, 2008, 03:15 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

So what does one do with a retired F1 car? Vintage racing, or would that be too nerve wracking? I imagine you have a pretty sizeable investment there...
Old September 11th, 2008, 06:29 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialNSXer
Ken, thanks for the props. Ran great through the trip, didn't miss a beat.

Follow-up Post:

Good eye. Yes, that's THE actual (not a roller) 1991 Schumacher Benetton F1 #191-B, that he raced at the end of the '91 season and the beginning of the 1992 season (with new livery).

Scored points in South Africa in this very car. I had it completely rebuilt in the UK with the same Cosworth V8 motor Benetton ran back then, approximately 725HP. I'm a small guy, but its a tight fit none-the-less
That is absolutely beautiful. A piece of history. I had a chance in the 1990's to get a Benetton test car chassis, sans engine, but the investment involved in getting it running would mean that it would stay as a coffee table in my then bachelor pad.

Don't sell that car. Give it to your kids.
Old September 12th, 2008, 09:25 AM
serialNSXer
Anil Sethi

As for the parts that go with the vehicle, I tend not to like being nickel and dimed, nor do I do that to other people. The price needs to be fair to both parties, and then everything that I have for the vehicle goes with it, whether it's on the vehicle or was taken off.

The parts we're talking about are:
rebuilt V8
all the new suspension
and difGaurds underneath,
the second auxiliary air conditioning unit,
the Hannibal rack,
new Mangiolina queen-size tent with thicker padding bed,
new swing away rear wheel carrier attached to body (not door),
plus an unmounted front bonnet wheel
making that a total of six new Wolf wheels
plus 6 new tires in all,
iPod connection to the Pioneer stereo (that actually works),
interior roll bar with padding,
new split charge system,
Wolf prop shaft
plus new rear diff,
checkerplate on hood plus fenders,
new suspension all around (perfectly setup for overlanding),
red jack,
jerry cans,
rear fender mounted 20L water tank,
aux lights
...basically everything.

Let's start with that premise based on an agreeable price, as opposed to removing stuff in order to get the price down. I'm not keen on doing that.

Here is where I am on price, I will take $63,500 for the vehicle as described above. There is no lien on the vehicle.

I believe this to be a correct price for two reasons: (1)there is no better and more fully expedition-equipped NAS 110 out there, and (2) In tallying up the receipts last weekend, I am well over $70,000 into this vehicle.

I've had it only a few months and now decided to build a "new one" from scratch, for my RTW trip in 2011. There is no reason for me to rush or take a bigger loss on a rare vehicle in good condition other than the fact that I'm interested in moving onto my next project. Thanks for reading.

Gotta admit, I've owned 79 cars since I started driving, and the D110 ranks as #2 on my favorites list (NSX is still #1), beating out multiple Ferraris and Porsches. It's that good!

Old September 14th, 2008, 02:11 PM
serialNSXer
Anil Sethi

Someone emailed me asking if a trade was possible. I hadn't originally thought of a trade, but yes, I'm always interested in my next car...

Though I suspect that we won't find too many folks here looking to trade my Defender plus cash for a Dino 246GTS

Old September 15th, 2008, 04:52 PM
KMarshall
Kevin Marshall
1993 NAS D110

Quote:
Someone emailed me asking if a trade was possible. I hadn't originally thought of a trade, but yes, I'm always interested in my next car...

Though I suspect that we won't find too many folks here looking to trade my Defender plus cash for a Dino 246GTS
Hmmm... how about a 08 430 Challenge for the Defender and a specified amount of supported track time in the Benneton?
Old September 15th, 2008, 10:08 PM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

I have enjoyed reading the write up on your defender and nsx. Both are amazing vehicles along with that neat looking race care you have. So, with all do respect, and remember I said with all do respect (trademarked Ricky Bobby Inc.), what the hell do you do for a living?

Doc Holliday
Old September 16th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Wondering

I think your 110 is one of the best looking ones I have seen in the US.

Now... ( being the cavallino rampante nut that I am ) ..I wonder who was behind the wheel on the Horsey when the NSX beat them ( other than a 308 -328 and maybe a US version 355 )...

Quote:

.........Gotta admit, I've owned 79 cars since I started driving, and the D110 ranks as #2 on my favorites list (NSX is still #1), beating out multiple Ferraris and Porsches. It's that good!
Old October 15th, 2008, 09:23 PM
serialNSXer
Anil Sethi

BTW, I would TRADE for:
1) NAS 1983, 1984, 1993 D110 needing total restoration (plus cash)
2) or a 1993 CT 110 (plus cash)
Either would make excellent donor vehicles to build on. Many thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TND90
So, with all do respect, and remember I said with all do respect (trademarked Ricky Bobby Inc.), what the hell do you do for a living?
With all due modesty, I was in IT for 25 years, tried a few start-ups, and one hit. From my kitchen table, 9 years later, 3 rounds of venture, an IPO during a bloody 2000 market crash, and I still lived to talk about it. Currently retired. Bottom line, I'd rather be lucky than smart

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
expedition, nas