Japanese Defender? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old June 19th, 2011, 09:43 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Thanks for the info Ken.
Sad to say not all dealers are as honest as you.
I do wonder the same thing that Barry brought up, wouldn't the fact that it is a Japanese D-90 actually make it more valuable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2011, 10:47 AM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
I think it is really unique actually. It would not stop my from purchasing assuming I liked the truck. This particular truck is really nice from the pics.
1997 D-90 #1867 (sold) :(
2012 Black 110 :) In OZ still
2011 LR4 "Metropolis" (sold) :(
2011 Raptor F150 SVT (sold) :(
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Old June 19th, 2011, 11:10 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

It sucks the power windows in these trucks are slow as shit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2012, 05:08 PM
MAC
Max
'95 ST

I know that this topic has been discussed in the past, but its been a few years. I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I almost bought my dream NAS D90 off of the forum a few months back but could not find suitable parking in the city due to the extra height from mods - lift, tires etc. - and had to bail.

I am now considering a Japan spec truck listed on ebay - many of you have probably noticed it (I can't post the link from work). I am curious to get people's thoughts on the value of Japan spec vs NAS, and how much of a concern a "well documented" speedo replacement is.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old August 20th, 2012, 05:24 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
condition is more important than mileage ... well documented is better than no documents. Lots of Defenders have questionable mileage readings due to broken parts and unreliable speedos.

I remember a friend years ago in the UK 'adjusting' the mileage readout on a triumph spitfire ... when he opened up the speedo to get at the numbers he found a bit of paper written ' oh no, not again!"

NAS will always be worth more than Japan spec ... unless your an extreme collector and want to have every version.

Just buy a truck and start enjoying a truck ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 20th, 2012, 06:50 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
I know that this topic has been discussed in the past, but its been a few years. I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I almost bought my dream NAS D90 off of the forum a few months back but could not find suitable parking in the city due to the extra height from mods - lift, tires etc. - and had to bail.
Where do you live in Boston? I was just up there not too long ago and there are plenty of garages that fit lifted D90s with room to spare.
Old August 20th, 2012, 07:36 PM
MAC
Max
'95 ST

Yes, there are garages downtown but not within a reasonable distance from my house (Charlestown). I'd like to be able to drive/see the truck regularly and "commuting" to do so isn't what I have in mind. The garages nearby are max 6'7" which should fit a stock truck fine.

The truck looked clean to my untrained eyes and felt tight during the test drive. I couldn't see any rust with the exception of some paint bubbling on the bottom of the back door under the spare. Only issue I could see was the mail truck size tires, but that's an easy fix. I love the look of the boosts - are those easy enough to find?

Ken, did you sell a truck to Hartford, Ct 1.5 years ago with approx. 60k miles? Seller says it came from Florida. If not, any idea who might have?

Thanks again guys.
Old August 21st, 2012, 09:04 AM
zimm
bart
anyone moves..... #238 sold

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap
Old August 21st, 2012, 09:16 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Charlestown? A D90 would be a terrible choice for a getaway vehicle!
You'll never make it to the bridge.
Old August 21st, 2012, 10:40 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Just to chime in here.. I am the shop who does most of the work for most of the defenders that are sold on ebay out of south florida.. I usually don't work with car dealers due to their penny pinching and deceitful tactics.. however this particular dealer I do work with because he does the right thing with all of the cars he sells and he stays away from junk or high mileage stuff., if the mileage doesnt jive with the condition I would have a problem.. . they are brought in and we check them over competely..if anything at all is needed on them it gets it...and not cheap shite as I won't install cheap knock off parts..I too know the speedometer shop that does the settings and can tell you for a fact that he WILL NOT alter mileages..you get a new speedo with exactly the corect mileage.. I see these jap defenders before they are even listed and can tell you that they really are exceptionally clean vehicles, I also keep an eye on the listings because I don't want something to be stated in a sales listing that may come back to me as a problem (its a small world in the defender circles ere in sth florida)..I have worked with these guys for many years and they are one of my biggest customers and I will gladly stand behind any car they sell.... And the reason for jap imported cars is that the amount of really clean low mileage vehicles over here is getting very thin and the jap cars are exceptionally clean rust free condition..I may be wrong but I dont think there is much over there for mudding and 4 wheeling..seems a good climate for preserving a vehicle..and really what is it that is different between 'NAS spec" and Japanese spec... visibly its only the lights and the NAS badge..just buy it and enjoy it..if you want I can put it on a lift and take underbelly pics for you of any area in particular..
Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:25 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Did we really change the title? Crikey. Can we change all "NAS" references to the full "North American Spec" then please ?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:58 AM
ndrenfro
Nathan Renfro
1997 Defender 90 SW

Registry
Great comment by shayne above. That's comforting to me as I bought one of these Japanese specs last month with 29k miles and it appears to have originated at this FL dealer. It is exceptionally clean, no rust anywhere. As I was considering purchasing it I really liked the idea of a truck that had been in a great climate with no rust, and you can get it at a discount vs NAS. It's still the exact same truck as a NAS and 99% of people will never know the difference. If you like the truck go for it!
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:01 AM
texrover
Jason
71 SIIA, 03 RR, 94 D90 (PO), 83 110

Registry
Second in support of that dealer & rover shop combo out of S. Florida.

They're straight shooters and do fine work
1994 D90 ST (PO)
Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:12 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Are the Japanese trucks really cheaper. I too think the dealer in Florida is great.

As for these trucks I think calling them jap trucks is a misnomer. This particular spec was also shipped to the middle east and for some reason there are a ton in Canada. I met a dealer in Colorado who bought three from Canada and josh in la has one from Canada. Now they could have all been in Japan at one point but by now you still need to check each truck carefully for the same rust issues. Also check that the truck has the sticker for when the speedo was replaced from km to miles to make sure it truly is a low mileage truck.

With that all said I would rather a jap truck than n nas because it is slightly different. I have been hunting for a unleaded sticker in Japanese like the true imports had. Virtually impossible.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:26 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
They are not cheaper, but they normally are very low mileage and in excellent condition.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:27 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Between having the battery box right below the drivers seat, and getting a truck that was parked right next to the Fukushima nuclear plant, you're just asking to never have kids again.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 01:10 PM
BOBCAT110
Ken Jagolta
94 d-90

Thank you for the kind words, gents. We give Shayne carte blanche to correct all issues and he does a super job. Will miss ya when you finally get on the road.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles