Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 14th, 2007, 11:26 AM
1962 88"
Unhappy In Pain

Dear all,
I am in pain.
Having given this a lot more thought than is healthy for a human being I have decided to part with my Pride and Joy. I don't even know where to begin to explain this vehicle....I'll do my best below.
For anyone at Winter Romp, you might remember it. I would prefer this vehicle to go to an enthusiast, more so if they were in New England and fancied taking me out in it until I can get him replaced.

For Sale - a completely rebuilt, modified to modern standards 1962 88". One of a kind. Professionally built be a Land Rover Special Vehicles Mechanic and then further modified by my own fair hand and tig welder.

Scorpion Racing Suspension with 3" lift, Panhard Rod conversion, QT super duty radius arms, DeCarbon Shocks with dual setup on front. Spare adjustable Panhard. All polybushed.

Race prep'd V8 development engine with Edelbrock throttle, Offenhausen inlet and weber 500. Engine lowered and moved to rear to facilitate improved attack angle and weight distribution 11" back and 7 down. Electronic ignition. High lift cam, port and polish.
Fully Propane rigged with custom fabricated tank - everything custom fabricated in aluminium and stainless steel. New starter and high capacity Pacet fuel pump and radiator fans on remote switch Stainless steel tubular exhaust with tubular manifolds.

custom fabricated 88" chassis. Strengthened throughout with additional members to accept the Range Rover running gear.
Custom fabricated rock sliders and tree sliders with full underbody armour from QT services including diff guards, steering guards. Chassis is in perfect condition, fully waxoyled inside and out.

Defender body cut 2" to accept chassis, all modifications undertaken by Land Rover to include custom fabricated flat roof, Bowler fiberglass bonnet with air intakes. Aluminium isolated from steel to prevent galvanic corrosion. Full external roll cage. Surveillance camera mounted on read, 1/4 panel rear window, all windows with privacy films. Chequer plate throughout.
(I did kiss a tree recently, although good for the soul, it was less impressive that i missed the enormous front protector and hit the front wing - result - a dent)

Chequer plated throughout, sparco racing seats and Willians 4 point harness (drivers seat cost $1280). Custom controls for lighting rig, cooling fans, inverters, compressors, cameras. Tool chest in hidden floor. Highlift jack, CB, Kenwood 6 speakers system, tilt and inclination monitor, moutney steering wheel

Full rewire including, lights - FULLY WATERPROOF uk SPEC, light rig from X-eng including double spots and double fogs. H4 beams. Rear camera. 240V power inverter as well as a 120 V inverter, both able to run power tools up to 2000W. Various stowage areas and pockets.

Running gear
Full range rover running gear mated to an LT77 gear box fully reconditioned (~2000rpm for 70mph) New transfer box with 4:1 ratio. All round disks mated to Mach 5 (very rare) wheels and Goodrich rubber.
New Clutch recently replaced UJ's everywhere. Wheel bearings checks and replaced where running low on the old greasearooney.

Standard defender power steering unit with Scorpian evolution suspension and twin shocks set up with brand new Scorpian steering damper. All new ball joints with strengthened steering bars.

Stainless brake hoses, full axle breathing
Aluminium fuel tank raised for extra ground clearance
Scorpian extreme front bumper
Warn 9000i winch with plasma rope
Solid bulk head
Mantech spare wheel carrier
Fire extinguisher
Auxiliary jump start

This is a very fast and unstoppable off road vehicle.

Every bit of work has been undertaken by either myself, an engineer or the previous owner, an Engineer from Land Rover's special vehicles unit.

Will consider trades.

Oh, did I forget to mention, this vehicle is completely exempt from all EPA and DOT requirements.

I'm selling for a number of reasons, and you'll appreciate how tough the decision has been.
I love in a place with no garage and no where to work on the vehicle, part of the reason I love it so much is that it is ahobby, something I can continully tinker with and my current circumstances really don't make that past time easy.
I've taken a new job that requires increased mileage. Parking is phenomenally difficult where I live and keeping two cars would just never be practical, even if I could afford it. In trade I am willing to consider other more highway conscious cars.
It's time for a change....and this is how I finally justofied it to myself. In about a year I plan on moving to New Hampshire, getting a bigger place and getting a garage, until then I will drive a normal asphalt based car, but when I move, expect to see a Lightweight making it's way to these shore very soon. I've always liked the lightweight, ever since my military days and I've often thought how you could make one of these an outstanding performer off road.

So, not all good things come to an end.

Please feel free to contact me on my email address: with any questions. I love talking landies, so be prepared.

All the best, and thanks for taking the time to look.

Vehicle is in Boston..

617 309 8357
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	landie 1 red+.gif
Views:	239
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	9638   Click image for larger version

Name:	landie 2 red+.gif
Views:	169
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	9639