Imported Defender Purchase Supply/Prices - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Old February 27th, 2017, 07:42 PM
Cafe Racer 13
George Niblack
None

I'm a newbie to this site too. Frankly, I cannot/will not shell out $75,000 at one time for a vehicle. I may be weird but I enjoy working on projects and don't mind doing a little work. I've built a Factory Five kit car and frankly it was almost more fun to build than drive. I've also built a few motorcycles and usually put more in them than they are worth, but I'm not selling them so what difference does it make since I plan on keeping them. I think we all know that you get what you pay for. More power to those of you who can shell out big money for a perfect ride. And even more power to those who buy them cheaper and improve them along the way. It's all part of the journey of getting to know your vehicle/new family member!

Buying one overseas and personalizing it sounds more fun to me. Sharing not only your unique Defender with others, but the story on how you acquired it sounds pretty freaking amazing to me too. I haven't met too many folks who have imported a vehicle and would love to hear the ins and outs of this process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2017, 07:46 PM
Josh Ashcroft
Joshua
1986 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalMTB View Post
I would go to Africa right now and buy a Defender and ship it over.

I said if Jeep offered it, but they don't. Which is why I have a plane ticket to Europe to buy a Defender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 27th, 2017, 08:14 PM
REDrum
Niall Johnson
1970 Series IIA 88 - Sandstone

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe Racer 13 View Post
Buying one overseas and personalizing it sounds more fun to me. Sharing not only your unique Defender with others, but the story on how you acquired it sounds pretty freaking amazing to me too. I haven't met too many folks who have imported a vehicle and would love to hear the ins and outs of this process.
Over the past 10 years I've looked at well over 150 trucks in Central America (mostly CR) and have only shipped 3 back to US. There is A LOT of crap out there, it might look dead sexy in photos, but get within 10 feet of it and things start to shrivel.... Finding import worthy trucks at a decent price ain't so easy. Think about it, how many late 80s early 90s F250 PU trucks out there have any life left in them? That said, just two weeks ago in CR I almost (almost....) bought a '92 Y60 Patrol; it so wanted to experience snow and E10 fuel

If a truck is >25 years old the process is pretty straight forward, but risk of intrusive inspection by CBP is an increasing problem. If your shipment gets tapped by CBP it could can add upwards of $2,000 to cost of importing. I learned of this the expensive way.... Hunting down a ROW truck and bringing it back to US can be fun to do for ones owe use, and bragging rights, but don't quit yur day job.

'99 UZJ 100 - for glamping and grocery getting
'94 FZJ80 - our Costa Rican coffee mule
'96 FZJ80 - 3XL, racked, shaved and dipped in Raptor coat
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - a Costa Rican expat now with US citizenship!
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - for Central America surf & coffee exploration
'56 Petrol S1 86 - a whole new kind of land rover hell...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2017, 03:55 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDrum View Post
Over the past 10 years I've looked at well over 150 trucks in Central America (mostly CR) and have only shipped 3 back to US.
Heh that is where the search for my truck first started, bit north of you. I had a guy in the Tamarindo area checking trucks out for me. Found out the hard way it was slim pickins. Love that country. Would love to retire there and bring my truck with me if the wife would allow it. She was into it until a scorpion woke us up in our bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1343.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	213249  
Old February 28th, 2017, 04:50 PM
REDrum
Niall Johnson
1970 Series IIA 88 - Sandstone

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSanta85 View Post
if the wife would allow it. She was into it until a scorpion woke us up in our bed.
LOL. Shoe is on the other foot in our household. My wife spend more time in CR than me. All too often I'll arrive in country after 12 hours of travel and she'll say "don't kill fred the scorpion" or "bob the tarantula" that she has befreinded in my absence....

FWIW, Series trucks in CR are a much better buy than Defenders, they tend to see less time at the playa and, susequently, have less rust.

'99 UZJ 100 - for glamping and grocery getting
'94 FZJ80 - our Costa Rican coffee mule
'96 FZJ80 - 3XL, racked, shaved and dipped in Raptor coat
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - a Costa Rican expat now with US citizenship!
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - for Central America surf & coffee exploration
'56 Petrol S1 86 - a whole new kind of land rover hell...
Old February 28th, 2017, 08:17 PM
MW469
Marcus Whitaker
1990 defender 110

perspective from a seller

Thanks for starting this thread. It's interesting and as someone on their 8th Defender I'm still working out these questions too.

I started out as an English/Irish expat in Arizona who wants to make a bit of honest money on the side to pay for family holidays with my wife and kids back to see my folks every summer. I picked up my first 110 a few years back while there. I spent most of a month looking for one that wasn't a wreck and nearly lost my shirt a few times. The one I got was Ok, a sluggish 19j with bondo here and there but full of character. I imported it learned the process and used it most of a year here for all kids of trips and adventures out. I sold it back in July, after a long process and many dead ends with potential buyers, to a lovely young couple from Chattanooga. Like something from a song. They stayed at my place in Tucson for three nights got to know the truck and drove it home. I made enough money to buy another plane ticket back for myself and get some more trucks.

I've since bought 7 more vehicles and imported 2 to Tucson. I've made some good buys and some bad buys. One of my not so good buys, a 110 pick up, I sold to GuamPilot (Mike and Carrie) for $4000 they flew out and stayed with my folks for a couple of nights, spent many hours poking around the truck, talked to our family friend mechanic and shipped it back as a project truck. I lost $3000 on that truck but learned a lot.

I currently have a 1993 110 csw that will be fully restored before it's eligible and shipped next year.That one is nice. I have 3 3doors 110's ready to ship soon, one of which has currently had near $20,000 spent on it. I may put a Dormobile top on that but am awaiting word from NHSTA on whether it's legal to do so.

I have two vehicles currently for sale in Tucson. The white 2.5TD I maye break even on and the Red 200tdi is amazing. I wish I could keep it but as you can imagine I have all my money tied up in Defenders right now. I initially thought the red one was worth over 30k but that was wishful thinking. I think 25k is a good deal for this one as it needs nothing, has proved its self on the remotest desert tracks in the this part of Arizona and is a joy to drive. RHD is great. I've gotten away with several speeding tickets and get waved through border check points with jovial and envious smiles from the CBP. I paid good money for it in the UK and put a good bit into it. See ad.

So the process is quite easy but a little nerve wracking, you can get taken for a ride or you can find a good deal. I'm trying to work out it this can be a good honest fruitful business for me and am perhaps in line to pay for our summer trip home this summer. I'll buy a few more trucks then.

I'm currently setting up an LLC and exploring renting and selling these trucks out to people interested in the defender experience. (got my first rent to buy couple taking the red D90 down to Bisbee this weekend, if they like it and want it the rental will be free and I'll have made another friend. People are welcome to fly out to the UK and stay with my folks too and they'll give you some good hospitality. Again, ask GuamPilot!

So, you can buy of someone like me who's make a bit of honest money and working his ass off for it, you can get scammed, you can find very honest ebay sellers in the Uk, you can spend more on a LHD from one of the great Dutch, Italian or Spanish guys here, you can spend lots of money on the truck of your dreams. All kinds of options.

It's an adventure for all of us.
Old February 28th, 2017, 08:24 PM
Sauber
Ben
1985/110

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW469 View Post
Thanks for starting this thread. It's interesting and as someone on their 8th Defender I'm still working out these questions too.

I started out as an English/Irish expat in Arizona who wants to make a bit of honest money on the side to pay for family holidays with my wife and kids back to see my folks every summer. I picked up my first 110 a few years back while there. I spent most of a month looking for one that wasn't a wreck and nearly lost my shirt a few times. The one I got was Ok, a sluggish 19j with bondo here and there but full of character. I imported it learned the process and used it most of a year here for all kids of trips and adventures out. I sold it back in July, after a long process and many dead ends with potential buyers, to a lovely young couple from Chattanooga. Like something from a song. They stayed at my place in Tucson for three nights got to know the truck and drove it home. I made enough money to buy another plane ticket back for myself and get some more trucks.

I've since bought 7 more vehicles and imported 2 to Tucson. I've made some good buys and some bad buys. One of my not so good buys, a 110 pick up, I sold to GuamPilot (Mike and Carrie) for $4000 they flew out and stayed with my folks for a couple of nights, spent many hours poking around the truck, talked to our family friend mechanic and shipped it back as a project truck. I lost $3000 on that truck but learned a lot.

I currently have a 1993 110 csw that will be fully restored before it's eligible and shipped next year.That one is nice. I have 3 3doors 110's ready to ship soon, one of which has currently had near $20,000 spent on it. I may put a Dormobile top on that but am awaiting word from NHSTA on whether it's legal to do so.

I have two vehicles currently for sale in Tucson. The white 2.5TD I maye break even on and the Red 200tdi is amazing. I wish I could keep it but as you can imagine I have all my money tied up in Defenders right now. I initially thought the red one was worth over 30k but that was wishful thinking. I think 25k is a good deal for this one as it needs nothing, has proved its self on the remotest desert tracks in the this part of Arizona and is a joy to drive. RHD is great. I've gotten away with several speeding tickets and get waved through border check points with jovial and envious smiles from the CBP. I paid good money for it in the UK and put a good bit into it. See ad.

So the process is quite easy but a little nerve wracking, you can get taken for a ride or you can find a good deal. I'm trying to work out it this can be a good honest fruitful business for me and am perhaps in line to pay for our summer trip home this summer. I'll buy a few more trucks then.

I'm currently setting up an LLC and exploring renting and selling these trucks out to people interested in the defender experience. (got my first rent to buy couple taking the red D90 down to Bisbee this weekend, if they like it and want it the rental will be free and I'll have made another friend. People are welcome to fly out to the UK and stay with my folks too and they'll give you some good hospitality. Again, ask GuamPilot!

So, you can buy of someone like me who's make a bit of honest money and working his ass off for it, you can get scammed, you can find very honest ebay sellers in the Uk, you can spend more on a LHD from one of the great Dutch, Italian or Spanish guys here, you can spend lots of money on the truck of your dreams. All kinds of options.

It's an adventure for all of us.

To the person who started this thread, this is the kind of seller you want to talk to about costs and market prices.
Old March 1st, 2017, 05:25 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW469 View Post
People are welcome to fly out to the UK and stay with my folks too and they'll give you some good hospitality. Again, ask GuamPilot!
First, for full disclosure, we have not had the pleasure of meeting Marcus in person, but look forward to shaking his hand.

Second, I would have no hesitation in buying another vehicle from him based on his description. He went out of his way to ensure we understood what he was offering. There were no surprises when we inspected the 110.

That being said, if you have the opportunity to visit his parents (Liz and Julian) in England, go! They are two of the nicest people you will ever meet and are Number One, World's Best Hosts!

Yes, please ask us questions.

Mike & Carrie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Vehicles

Tags
defender, import